Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bargain WW1 book at The Works

Jonny P

Thanks chaps.

I'll have a look in my nearest one next time i'm in that town.

Shock Horror ..... on Friday, the Cardiff branch had no (yes, no) copies of "Mapping" on their shelves!

Whether they have sold them all, or just thrown them in a skip as they can't sell them at any price, I don't know, but they've all gone!

Shock Horror ..... on Friday, the Cardiff branch had no (yes, no) copies of "Mapping" on their shelves!

Whether they have sold them all, or just thrown them in a skip as they can't sell them at any price, I don't know, but they've all gone!

Merthyr and Ebbw Vale have not had it in a long while.

On a WW2 note, picked up Operation Sea lion by Leo Mikinstry for a fiver in hardback. From an independent works type shop.

Isn't it just! Really pleased that I bought it at the lower price, I was in a bit of a rush at the time and thought it would be a pretty good book as it was produced in association with the Imperial War Museum. I assume that's a good enough guide to quality...

Mapping back on sale in Northampton for £10.

New in is an Imperial War Museum boxed set of four children's books on WW1, down from £12 to £3

• 2 weeks later...

To The Editor

Sir

I have never seen a copy of "Mapping the First World War"

is this a record?

Yours, etc

Troubled of Eastleigh.

See you've all heard of Toothbrush Weekly now and you all can't get enough. I have my copy delivered now!?

Saw a copy of Mapping at the National Book Fair at York yesterday. £25 ono.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer bought his copy at The Works and was trying his luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a copy in the Chichester branch of The Works for £7.00 Trains To The Trenches, The men, Locomotives and Tracks That Took The Armies To War 1914-18 by Andrew Rodin

Thanks for the tip-off Mandy. I bought one of the two copies in the Northampton branch today.

...and now for the REALLY BIG NEWS!

Mapping is back on the shelves, a great pile of them, @ £9.99 each.

Not 'The Works', but a remainder bookshop on Lord Street in Southport has copies of 'A History of the First World War in 100 Objects'. This is the one by John Hughes-Wilson, in Association with the Imperial War Museum. Good value at £6.99 (pub. at £30). They also have Gary Sheffield's similarly named work at the same price, also a couple of other Great War titles.

Mike.

Picked up a copy in the Chichester branch of The Works for £7.00 Trains To The Trenches, The men, Locomotives and Tracks That Took The Armies To War 1914-18 by Andrew Rodin

Copies of this book are in the Newport shop at the same price - would you recommend it, please?

The Newport shop has about a dozen copies available at £9.99 ... don't all rush!!

They're still there!

Thank you for the heads up - I pickup a copy in the Exeter store yesterday.

P

Copies of this book are in the Newport shop at the same price - would you recommend it, please?

Sorry Scorer, it won't reach the top of the reading pile for a while. Looked interesting to me having flipped through it in The Works.

Mandy

Sorry Scorer, it won't reach the top of the reading pile for a while. Looked interesting to me having flipped through it in The Works.

Mandy

That's what I thought when I briefly looked at it in the shop .... I'll have to see what can do - thanks.

Newly in at 'The Works' in Kettering, 'Attrition Fighting the First World War' by William Philpott, purchased at £3.00 in a paperback edition (this published in 2015 at £10.99). The Telegraph considered it 'A magisterial overview of the whole war'.

I did enjoy his views on the Somme in 'Bloody Victory'.

Mike.

Thanks for the tip, Mikey - I popped into the Wolverhampton branch this am and bought one.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a copy of IWM - Mapping The First World War - £3 at THEWORKS section of Wyevale Garden Centre, Aldridge, West Midlands.

What stonking value. The two double spread Daily Mail maps , Birds eye views of the front, Section 1 and 2 are worth £3 on their own.

Then there are 300 other pages in this hardback version.

P.S there was just one other copy on the shelf…

Martin

I work in Stevenage which has a branch of The Works that I visit regularly just to pass the time of day.

On a visit to the store yesterday, it had removed the entire History section with it being replaced by children's games and crafts.

Grab what you can I'd say!

Maxi

Sounds like their normal remerchandising in the run-up to Chr*stm*s.