Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bargain WW1 book at The Works

Jonny P

Mapping - Gateshead Metro £5.00

Mapping - Gateshead Metro £5.00

Now, how much would it cost for you to get from Gateshead to Cardiff in order for you to save £2 on a copy of "Mapping"?

:)

Bought today at the Northampton branch Antiques Roadshow: WW1 in 100 Family Treasures

Hardcover, RRP £25, Works price £5. Even better, it includes our good pal Egbert's Story of Grandfather's Trunk. Looks to be a good read, and profusely illustrated on good quality paper, mostly with items held in private family collections.

Bought today at the Northampton branch Antiques Roadshow: WW1 in 100 Family Treasures

Hardcover, RRP £25, Works price £5. Even better, it includes our good pal Egbert's Story of Grandfather's Trunk. Looks to be a good read, and profusely illustrated on good quality paper, mostly with items held in private family collections.

I found this book in The Works in woolwich today and got it for a fiver great ...........

I also purchased the above for a fiver, from the branch in Gunwharf Keys, Portsmouth.

Mandy

Got a copy in the Woking branch today, worth a fiver of anybody's money; also a copy of 'War on the Western: Front 1914-18 Centenary Edition' (Edited by Dr Gary Sheffield, Published by Octopus Books) Probably not a book I'd usually buy at the cover RRP of £20, but it had been marked down to £7.99, then £5, and, finally, the price I paid: just a £1! Obviously I've yet to read it, but it has some good photos if nothing else.

NigelS

My latest purchase is The Quintinshill Conspiracy: The shocking true story behind Britain's worst railway disaster by Jack Richards & Adrian Searle. First published by Pen & Sword Transport in2013, this is the large paperback 2015 republication. RRP £14.99; Works price £5.

I got mine in Cardiff on Friday, also for £5 ... now it's on the "to read" pile!

I visited the Monmouth branch of "The Works" on Sunday, and to my shock, they didn't have any copies of "Mapping" .... !

Whether this means that the good folk of Monmouth have been buying them in their droves, or the staff have binned their stock unsold, I couldn't say!

• Admin

I got a copy of the Quintinshill Conspiracy for a fiver today. I resisted the temptation to pick up Mapping

Michelle

My latest purchase is The Quintinshill Conspiracy: The shocking true story behind Britain's worst railway disaster by Jack Richards & Adrian Searle. First published by Pen & Sword Transport in2013, this is the large paperback 2015 republication. RRP £14.99; Works price £5.

I got a copy of the Quintinshill Conspiracy for a fiver today. I resisted the temptation to pick up Mapping

Michelle

Would either of you care to say what this is like, please?

I could have bought one in Monmouth on Sunday for £5, but I hesitated because I've read a bad review about it elsewhere.

It combines two of my interests, and I'd like to buy it if it's worth it ... but is it?

Thank you.

• Admin

I haven't started it yet though I flicked through it whilst waiting to give blood yesterday. I will let you know when I have read it. There aren't many Great War books I have never been able to finish.

Michelle

I haven't started it yet though I flicked through it whilst waiting to give blood yesterday. I will let you know when I have read it. There aren't many Great War books I have never been able to finish.

Michelle

Thanks!

I went to the Royal Quays branch of The Works (in North Shields) last night after reading this post, they have about 8 copies of Mapping the First World War marked at £5. When I paid for it though it was reduced even more so I got it for £3.

I also got The First World War in 100 objects for £4.

The assistant did a stock check for me who tells me the Metrocentre branch in Gateshead and the Washington branch also have them in stock.

Time to follow this thread I think, what a great bargain.

What a great book this is, with so many really special stories.

The only thing wrong with it is that there's not enough about most of the people involved, because it is of necessity only a short pen-picture of the people included. If the full story was told of all of them, the book would run to several volumes and take ages to read (and it would cost much, much more - even at The Works!

I was quite hesitant about it at first, which is why I didn't buy it originally ... but now I'm glad that I did. it is very much recommended to everyone.

Would either of you care to say what this is like, please?

I could have bought one in Monmouth on Sunday for £5, but I hesitated because I've read a bad review about it elsewhere.

It combines two of my interests, and I'd like to buy it if it's worth it ... but is it?

Thank you.

I've taken the plunge and bought if from the Cardiff shop, so I'll see what I think when I can find the time to read it!

Incidentally the Cardiff shop has "Mapping" at £10 now, despite having it at £3 last month!

• 3 weeks later...

Was in the Northampton branch of The Works a couple of days ago, 'Mapping the First World War' back to the old price of £9.99.

Mike.

Popped into the works (Middlesbrough Branch)

Mapping the the first world war £3.00

cannot buy a magazine for that price

a dozen left in the shop

regards Ray

Think I would prefer "Toothbrush Weekly" at £3 than this book!?

TT

Just bought "My Boy Jack" by Tonie & Valmai Holt, the search for Rudyard Kipling's Son, from Llandudno. Only £3. Exceedingly good value.

Great War books I have never been able to finish.

That would be a fun thread.

You know what ...

. Exceedingly good value.

That tickles my (Viennese) Fancy.

Which "Mapping the First World War" book is it that The Works have on offer?

The IWM one by Peter Chassaeud, released on 24/10/2013, or the Simon Forty one released 15/10/2013?

Two books with the same title released 9 days apart, bizarre.

Derek

The IWM one by Peter Chassaeud,

mapping-wwi.jpg

Regards Ray

Which poses the question which one was trench trotter referring to

The above.

TT