Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bargain WW1 book at The Works

Jonny P

The same poster is all over the front of the Cardiff shop .... but I bet they'll still have copies of "Mapping the Great War" when the new stock comes in!

I've seen this poster on a couple of shops apart from Cardiff recently - but I still think they'll have copies of "Mapping the Great War" when the new stock comes in!

A discount book shop on Lord Street in Southport, (not the Works) has several copies of 'Mapping the Great War', at £6.99.

Mike.

How many copies of "Mapping the Great War" are there! Seen in every works in south and west Wales, prices dropping. No one interested(poor reception on the forum) or over print?

I've got one, if you are desperate.

Seen today in The Works in Northampton and no doubt in other branches, 'Mapping the Great War', marked down to £5.00. Can it get any cheaper?

Mike.

In the Works, "Dalton Park" County Durham branch for £5:00, they had approx. a dozen copies on display.

• 4 weeks later...

Seen today in The Works in Northampton and no doubt in other branches, 'Mapping the Great War', marked down to £5.00. Can it get any cheaper?

Mike.

Yes! £3.99 at Rhyl today.

Passchendaele The sacrificial ground for £3.99

Leicester has Harry's War, Diary of Harry Drinkwater,£4 (original price £20) and Tommy at War by Sadler & Serdiville for £6 (original price £20.

Saw 'Mapping' as well as several other WW1 books.

Regards

John

The Rhyl branch is closing - so that may be the reason.

Works cardigan - Paschendaele £3.99. Good read.

Mapping also there £9.99 last time I looked a few weeks ago.

Geraint, that is sad news about the Rhyl branch. I find it superior to both Colwyn Bay & Llandudno branches. I got the books you mentioned and Harry's War. A couple of weeks ago I got a copy of WW1 The Definitive Visual Guide for £5, a 360 page large hardback book.

Bought "Mapping" today in Cardigan Works.

£9.99 on the shelves.

£5 in the window!

Guess which one I bought.

(Clue: I have 50% Cardi genes!)

They've sold a copy!!! Hooray!

Bought a copy of mapping for a fiver in the Sutton, Surrey branch of The Works yesterday.

So they have sold a second copy.......

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

From The Works in Stratford-upon-Avon, 'Some Desperate Glory' by Max Egremont (2014). Nicely produced hardback which contains an anthology of approx 100 poems from the Great War in chronological order. Also profiles the life and works of eleven poets who saw action, this against the context and story of the Great War. Marked down from £20 to a bargain £3.

They also still have copies of 'Mapping the Great War' at the same price.

Mike

It might be cheaper everywhere else (?), but the Cardiff shop is still selling it at £9.99 ... !

They've caught up at last .... their copies were reduced at first to £5, and then to £3 - how many they've sold, I don't know, though!

Burton on Trent branch - Mapping - £3!

The Works in Eastbourne has "The Great War Remembered", by Gary Sheffield, was £50, now £10.

At that price it must be worth buying, even if it is rubbish!

Martin

Edit: I am not saying it is rubbish - I have not looked at it closely. Just that if it should turn out to be less than satisfactory then this must be a bargain