Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bargain WW1 book at The Works

Jonny P

The Newport shop has about a dozen copies available at £9.99 ... don't all rush!!

They now have it for sale at £3 .... there's a clearance sale on there as well!

• 4 months later...

My latest purchase is The Quintinshill Conspiracy: The shocking true story behind Britain's worst railway disaster by Jack Richards & Adrian Searle. First published by Pen & Sword Transport in2013, this is the large paperback 2015 republication. RRP £14.99; Works price £5.

Bought a copy in the Lancaster branch today, still only £5.

• 1 month later...

Just purchased in the Wolverhampton branch for £6: "Slaughter on the Somme: the complete war diaries" by Mace & Grehan.  Still several copies available

Only £6.00 at Middlesbrough branch of The Works

61MXvKliDzL._SX345_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

£3.00 at Middlesbrough branch of The Works

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcWYF5ikc2e0JI8BDrRd4

Regards Ray

Just brought The Somme The Epic Battle in the Soldier's own Words and Photographs in soft back by Richard Van Emden for £6.00.

Also The First World War in 100 Objects by Peter Doyle for £5.00 in hardback.

Both from Chichester branch.

Mandy

On 08/05/2015 at 00:03, John_Hartley said:

No copies of "Mapping" in Macclesfield's Works this morning, as far as I could see.

They had at least 3 copies in there today John but I didn't notice the price as I have the book already.  I really came back to this thread to say that Macclesfield had Gary Sheffield's book "The First World War Remembered - 1914-1918" for £2 but I think it's aimed at newcomers (latecomers?) really.

Reg

I think that they're going through one of their clearance sales at the moment, so I'll have to see what, if anything, they have available.

Would that we had a Works here in Grantham. We have no bookshops, unless you count Smiths, who are woefully undersupplied in current WWI titles. There must be around 6-8 new books out on the Somme (I know, I know, a lot of them tell us nothing new), but Smiths are stocking none of them, at any price, never mind bargains. Grrr. 

I notice Waterstones now seem to mainly only stock paperbacks, when it comes to ww1 titles , although they did have a hardback copy of a recent

Somme book , so I looked through to see what it was like. The problem is that you can buy it cheaper from Amazon , maybe that's why they don't

stock the hardbacks in the first place. On a visit to Salisbury yesterday I noticed a bookshop called 'The last bookshop' and it had closing down

notices in the window , says it all really.

The Works in Reading also has the Huntley Gordon and the Slaughter on the Somme, although unfortunately not the Quintinshill Conspiracy which I would really like to read.

Extraordinarily it did have the recent book by Ben Wilson 'Heyday: Britain and the birth of the modern world' on sale for just £6. I'm sure I read the (glowing) reviews for this just a few weeks ago. Why on earth it's remaindered already I don't know. (I know this isn't a Great War book but if you like Victorian history it's a ridiculously good bargain)

David

Got Slaughter On The Somme by Martin Mace and Richard Van Emden's Somme book at Colwyn Bay branch. £6 each. 

i panicked then and thought it was slaughter on the Somme, 1st July 1916 but alas not this one.

On the Waterstones front collect the stamps ten then gives you £10 off, Amazon is cheaper but if you can't wait.....

Picked up today in the Northampton branch:- 'The First World War in 100 Objects', by Peter Doyle for £5 (originally priced at £25).

Mike

Huntly Gordon's 'The Unreturning Army' was at £3 at The Works in Bold Street, Liverpool this week, with several other WW1 books which I did not note.  As often, the shop says everything must go...

D

The Works in the Swindon Outlet centre currently has the various Great War books quoted above in the last few weeks. Additionally though they had 'The road to the Somme: men of the Ulster Division tell their story' for £10. Not quite the normal 'massive savings' as the RRP was £14.99 but not to be sniffed at for such an interesting book

David

Just bought 'Slaughter on the Somme - the Complete War Diaries of the British Army's Worst Day ' by Mace & Evans from the Sutton, Surrey branch of The Works for £6

Just now, Paddy 60th said:

Just bought 'Slaughter on the Somme - the Complete War Diaries of the British Army's Worst Day ' by Mace & Evans from the Sutton, Surrey branch of The Works for £6

I should have added ' 1st July 1916 ' to the title

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 13:21, Black Maria said:

I notice Waterstones now seem to mainly only stock paperbacks, when it comes to ww1 titles , although they did have a hardback copy of a recent Somme book , so I looked through to see what it was like. The problem is that you can buy it cheaper from Amazon , maybe that's why they don't stock the hardbacks in the first place. On a visit to Salisbury yesterday I noticed a bookshop called 'The last bookshop' and it had closing down notices in the window , says it all really.

Most of the Waterstone's that I have seen still sell hardbacks, but they don't seem to have many of each individual book on the shelves.

They normally have two or three of each book, but whether they replace these with other copies of the same book when they're sold I really don't know. It's possible that they don't, of course, and just substitute the book that's been sold with another, different, one.

The Cardiff branch is quite big and does have a fair selection of books from most historical eras. First World War books come and go - sometimes they'll have quite a few different titles, and at other times they won't have many.

Sadly, that's the only real "new" bookshop in Cardiff City Centre now, since the closure of both the Ian Allan and the University of Wales Press shops a few months ago. There's a couple of second hand / charity bookshops, but one of the biggest closed as well recently, and has apparently moved "on line" - although I haven't found it yet!  Still, The Works is still there .... !

The Reading branch of the Works has a bumper crop of Great War books at the moment. Along with the ubiquitous 'Slaughter on the Somme', it is currently stocking both of the Richard van Enden books, 'Tommy's War' and 'The Somme', Peter Doyle's '100 objects' and two I had not seen before: 'Edith Cavell' by Diana Souhami and 'The Final Season' by Neil McCrery. All were priced at £6 or 7, accept the McCrery which was only £4

David

The Stratford upon Avon branch of The Works in Henley Street, has multiple copies of 'The Somme' by Richard Van Emden, and 'Slaughter on the Somme' by Mace and Grehan at £6 each.

Mike.

On 05/08/2016 at 20:21, MikeyH said:

The Stratford upon Avon branch of The Works in Henley Street, has multiple copies of 'The Somme' by Richard Van Emden, and 'Slaughter on the Somme' by Mace and Grehan at £6 each.

Mike.

Just a quick fyi on the softback Somme book (Richard van Emden) in The Works . The books are a slightly cut down size of the softback available in WH Smith etc and of the hardback edition. I think the slightly larger book format works better, imho

R.

The Princes St Edinburgh branch of Waterstone's has recently been refitted. It has a fair number of history hardbacks, but almost all hardbacks are now on the ground floor, with most books in the history department in the basement being paperbacks. There was, however, at least one military history hardback in the basement: Mapping the Second World War at the full price of £30. The publishers of Mapping the First World War must be happy with its sales, even if most of them have been at Works prices. I bought my copy of Mapping the First World War from Waterstone's for £15 not long after it was published.

• Admin

Just picked up Richard Van Emdens Somme book for £6. Some fantastic photos in there 

Just purchased 'Tommy's War' in hardback by Richard Van E for £6 at The Works, Nottingham, just after nearly buying on amazon for £22.95!

Perfect read for a weekend under canvas

8 hours ago, timsanders said:

Just purchased 'Tommy's War' in hardback by Richard Van E for £6 at The Works, Nottingham, just after nearly buying on amazon for £22.95!

Perfect read for a weekend under canvas

I see that the £22.95 is Amazon's own price, the lowest price new on Amazon is £6.20 ( including p&p) . Nice buy though.