Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bargain WW1 book at The Works

Jonny P

Dear Forum Members,

The Works are currently selling copies of DK ULTIMATE BOOK OF WORLD WAR 1 by H. P. Willmott at the reduced price of £6.95.

I dont know if this will be the case in all UK branches but I know they still have copies left in Sutton Coldfield and Burton on Trent. I bought a copy in Burton on Trent last Friday and they had about 6 copies left.

I cant find the RRP on the book but I think it should have been about £25.

The book gives some good pre and post war political history which helps beginners like myself put things into context. The book covers many of the less known campaigns such as Salonika, Messopatamia etc and includes useful time-lines, maps etc. As well as some great war photos, the book also contains some good colour photographs of uniforms, weapons and equipment etc.

A book that gives a good overview of WW1. In my opinion a real bargain at £6.95.

Kind regards,

jon

Also being sold in Bognor Regis branch for same price.

Mandy

I wonder how they select which branches these type of books are sold in, I've never seen any of interest in Pontefract, Lincoln or Gainsborough. In Gainsbourough I did though buy 2 excellent lightweight metal water bottles for 1.99 the pair, the WW1 link is perfect for taking when walking.

• 1 month later...

Bought two today at the Rhyl branch

The Day We Won the War by Charles Messenger £2.99 and Mr Punch's History of the Great War for £4.99. Should keep me going for a bit.

Tommy Goes To War by Malcom Brown was also there for £2.99 (which I already have), as well as If You're Reading This for £4.99.

My latest purchases from The Works in Bognor Regis both for £2.99

Bombers Patrol and Reconnaissance Aircraft 1914-19 by Kenneth Munson

Fighters Attack and Training Aircraft 1914-19 by Kenneth Munson

Both nice and small books, so easy to find a home on the book shelves.

Mandy

• 1 year later...

Having read this and another thread (Cheap books at "The Works") I was fired up with enthusiasm to try some of my local branches. I work in the centre of Manchester so I have just popped out at lunch to check out the branch in the Manchester Arndale. No luck, a small selection of World War 2 books but none for the Great War.

They have always been hit and miss - what's available at one store insn't necessarily available elsewhere. they do have a website, which has, among other offerings, Christy Campbell's 'Band of Brigands' for 50p (!) and William Philpott's 'Bloody Victory' for £4.99.

I've never checked their online store before, in fact never even knew that they had one, so thanks for the heads up and from just a quick browse it looks like there's some good stuff on there. The only, slight, downside to finding their website is that I always enjoyed popping into the Works and wondering what I might find this time. Using the website takes away that feeling of anticipation that I always got from having my first quick scan along the shelves, somehow staring at a computer screen doesn't seem quite the same.

• 9 months later...

Jon

Picked it up (new) recently for £3.50 at a book fair along with the other DK Book called "World War I The Definitive Visual Guide by R.G. Grant".

Both are totally different but have beautiful layouts which always gets me hooked.

Would recommend them to anyone wanting an easy history of the Great War including High School children - I only wish I'd had something like them to read when I studied Political History at school. I loved Social History but Political - well it never seemed to involve people in the books I had to use for study. Hopefully the lists have changed and become more interesting.

One can only hope.

thanks and take care, Kitty

The best ever bargain I ever got in a bookshop, it wasn't even a cheap bookshop, it was Borders (RIP), they used to have a stack of damaged or books that had been on the shelf for a long time, that's where I found both volumes of The Distinguished Flying Cross and how it was Won by Carter, perfect condition, for £2.99, evidently selling for 165 quid now.

• 7 months later...

In the Wolverhampton Branch today - one paperback copy remaining at £1.99 of "When the Whistle Blows - story of the Footballer's Bn".

• 2 weeks later...

In the Wolverhampton Branch today - one paperback copy remaining at £1.99 of "When the Whistle Blows - story of the Footballer's Bn".

I bought this in Newport on Friday at the same price (reduced from £8.99).

I also bought "Empire of the Deep - The Rise and Fall of the British Navy" by Ben Wilson; reduced from £10.99 to £3.99. Although it's not specifically about the First World War, there's chapters about the period in it.

There are quite a few copies of "Mapping the Great War" at £10 (reduced from £30) in both the Newport and Cardiff shops.

• 4 weeks later...

In the Northampton branch today 'Harry's War', the Great War Diary of Harry Drinkwater [Royal Warwickshire Regiment]. A 395 page hardback, published in 2013 by Ebury Press at £20, on offer at a bargain £4, around nine copies left, after I got mine!

Mike.

Got a copy of above too at £4

TT

Bargain!

Same book in Wolverhampton today.

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted yesterday in the Banbury branch, 'Battles - 100 Battles that Shaped the World'. A hardback book 8" x 6-1/2", 256 pages, offfering a concise overview of 100 battles from Kadesh in 1294 b.c. to Georgia in 2008. Well illustrated with maps, battle facts, drawings and photos. Great War content:- Gallipoli, Jutland, Verdun, The Somme and Caporetto, each given a couple of pages with clear maps of Verdun and the Somme. This book is on offer for an amazing £1.00, an undoubted bargain.

Mike.

I have a copy and it's a great addition to any bookshelf, even just to have laying around on the coffee table to thumb through at any time!

There are quite a few copies of "Mapping the Great War" at £10 (reduced from £30) in both the Newport and Cardiff shops.

Despite going through a complete stock overhaul a few weks ago, the Newport shop still has about a dozen copies in two piles of this ... still at £10.

Yes, a couple of weeks ago I got 'Mapping the Great War' for £9.99, 'Aircraft of WW1' for £4.99.

And about six weeks ago I got 'The Road Home' by Max Arthur, 'A Nurse at the Front (The First World War Diaries of Sister Edith Appleton)' edited by Ruth Cowan, and Passchendale by Nigel Steel and Peter Hart, all these were £3.99 each.

All in the Keighley branch of 'The Works'. I pop in once a week to see what's come in. Nothing for a while now though, but it'll take me some time to read this lot anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Today in the Reading Branch - 'The Fateful Year England 1914' by Mark Bostridge. £25 down to £7.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Despite going through a complete stock overhaul a few weks ago, the Newport shop still has about a dozen copies in two piles of this ... still at £10.

I was in one of the branches of The Works in Yorkshire (sorry, I can't remember which one!) and, sure enough, they had plenty of copies of this ... still at £10!!

There were about a dozen copies of 'Mapping the Great War' in The Works shop in Bold Street, Liverpool this morning, at £9.99. The window is covered with 'Sale' signs, as they are expecteing an entirely new stock.

D

There were about a dozen copies of 'Mapping the Great War' in The Works shop in Bold Street, Liverpool this morning, at £9.99. The window is covered with 'Sale' signs, as they are expecteing an entirely new stock.

D

The same poster is all over the front of the Cardiff shop .... but I bet they'll still have copies of "Mapping the Great War" when the new stock comes in!

Out of interest, re 'Mapping', have a look at Amazon. The 'used' offers are very optimistic, considering the amount of remaindered copies that are going cheap elsewhere.

Out of interest, re 'Mapping', have a look at Amazon. The 'used' offers are very optimistic, considering the amount of remaindered copies that are going cheap elsewhere.

Yes, I see what you mean.

When postage and packing is added, none of the offers that I have seen on there are cheaper than the price asked for by The Works!