Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theatre of War Number

priv

Pals,

I have just picked up a Trio to the ASC - not something that I would usually go for, but the price was more than right and was after some more research material to keep me busy. Found that the medals were to the sellers wife's grandfather. Census rveals one person of that name aged 35 on 1901 - a warehousman. SS prefix denotes Supply Special and that he was 35 in 1901. As he has the 14/15 Trio he must have been around 49 when he went overseas on 24th October 1915 ?!

Also note that he was discharged and was awarded a SWB - more research I feel..

Anyway, back to my Question, the Theatre of War Number is (3) with something tht I cannot make out what it is written next to it - does anyone know which this refers to ??

As Ian Bowbrick (I believe) related in a previous post, you never know what interesteing facts an ordinary looking ASC Trio can throw up as compared to a Line Regiment. Sadly they did not have the SWB and also had no info on the recipient, but I ensured them that I would keep them advised on what I discovered.

The research for me is what it is all about !

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can assist.

Many thanks

James

Theatre of War 3 for 1914/15 Star is Egypt. The symbol next to it could be (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) all of which clarify the Egyptian Theatre slightly more.

Steve

There is a useful list here. A forum search is usually worthwhile.

You are welcome. Not a waste of time at all. I mentioned it only because the search facility is well worth promoting.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Pals,

I have just picked up a Trio to the ASC - not something that I would usually go for, but the price was more than right and was after some more research material to keep me busy. Found that the medals were to the sellers wife's grandfather. Census rveals one person of that name aged 35 on 1901 - a warehousman. SS prefix denotes Supply Special and that he was 35 in 1901. As he has the 14/15 Trio he must have been around 49 when he went overseas on 24th October 1915 ?!

Also note that he was discharged and was awarded a SWB - more research I feel..

Anyway, back to my Question, the Theatre of War Number is (3) with something tht I cannot make out what it is written next to it - does anyone know which this refers to ??

As Ian Bowbrick (I believe) related in a previous post, you never know what interesteing facts an ordinary looking ASC Trio can throw up as compared to a Line Regiment. Sadly they did not have the SWB and also had no info on the recipient, but I ensured them that I would keep them advised on what I discovered.

The research for me is what it is all about !

Look forward to hearing from anyone who can assist.

Many thanks

James

A lot of Supply Specials of the ASC ended up in the Royal Marines Labour Corps. If this is so in your case, it is likely that his record has survived.

Ian