Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

deciphering medal index card!

Guest alisonk67

I've only just started researching my great grandad Edwin Henry Jones, have found quite a bit of info on him, I've been given some info on his army life but I'm at a loss as to how to decipher the medal index card! He looks to have been quite busy and would love to be able to make some sense of the timescales etc as it seems he was abroad for quite some years (my grandad was born in India). Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! :)

medalindexcard.jpg

His medal entitlement seems to have been as follows.

Next to his name is DCM - the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

For service in WW1 (entering Mesopotamia, modern day Iraq, on the 17th April 1915) he was entitled to the 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. Emblems means he was "Mentioned In Despatches" (possibly related to his DCM), and entitled to wear a bronze oak leaf (on his VM in this case) to show this fact.

IGS is the India General Service Medal, in this case with clasps Afghanistan NWF (North West Frontier) 1919, Mahsud 1919-20, and Waziristan 1921-24.

That's most of the basics, I'm sure others will fill in the detail if required.

Hi and welcome i have put a link below from the LLT site it will help you a bit with understanding the MIC layout.It is a fairly full one indeed.First off it appears he was awarded the DCM which is next to his name.This MAY have a card of its own

The 15 star entry is in red and has a x with dots you will also see the coresponding symbol nex to his unit 7 Hussars it indicates that hiss entry for that medal is on the roll of that unit.Likewise you will see a black cross next to the British war and Victory medals and its corresponding mark next to his rank as 2nd Lt.There is an explanitory note in remarks box saying on rank and file roll cy 113 b page 1259 this is saying these two medals were on the roll of the ranks and not the officers.Below that is his date of commision as an officer 19/12/17.Below this is iv which is issue voucher and it number which is like a receipt of issue for these three medals the three are linked as being issued together on the 7/3/23.The Theatre Of War first served in is Mesopotania 5a which is listed on the LLT as East Africa, Nyasaland and Northern Rhodesia.

There are three lines the first of which is prefixed IGS this stands for Indian General Service Medal.The first line relates to medal issued for service in 1919 with clasps for Afghanistan NWF it then states issued in india then the roll number.The next line is IGS medal clasps for Waziristan 1919-21 and Mahsud.this is followed by roll number and date of issue

12/8/24.Third line IGS and clasp for Waziristan 1921-24 issued 9/5/27.The note from back of card i Officer commanding signal training centre forwrds list of officers entitled to15? BWM= british war medal 10/3/22.john

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/theatres.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/themedals.htm