Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Stonecrop, A.K.A. Glenfoyle

anthony osborne

Greetings all. Have trawled the internet but with little luck - I am looking for a photo of HMS Stonecrop, alias Glenfoyle, which was torpedoed in September 1917. Can anyone help please with (preferably) a photo of HMS Stonecrop or alternatively, suggest likely sources where a picture could be located?

As always, many thanks.

anthony

So another Q ship ? Glencoyle built as a collier of 1680 tons gross in 1913,and seemingly lost the day after sinking U88 in the Atlantic around 8 Sept 1917.

Only one file at Kew for this ship (ADM53/61436),for Aug 1917,and I would think that the Sept one is sitting sodden on a sea floor as we write.

If you can discover where it was built there may be an archive for that builder,there are a few around with such old pictures.Lloyd's List,in any good Reference Library, for 1914 will probably have the details.

Sotonmate

Got it now-North Ireland Shipbuilding Co.Londonderry. No archive as far as I can see as the yard was sold on a copule of times before it closed.

Just for the records:

STONECROP/GLENFOYLE didn't sink U 88 but instead engaged U 151 on 17.09.1917. U 151 was on the receiving end of course and took 3 hits, but continued to went out to the area Madeira, Dakar, Gibraltar ...

The Q-ship was sunk the next day by U 43.

Oliver

Sotonmate/Oliver,

thanks for the swift replies. Am planning a trip to Kew so will see what the file reveals - the answer is out there somewhere!

Once again, thanks both.

• 3 years later...

Greetings all. Have trawled the internet but with little luck - I am looking for a photo of HMS Stonecrop, alias Glenfoyle, which was torpedoed in September 1917. Can anyone help please with (preferably) a photo of HMS Stonecrop or alternatively, suggest likely sources where a picture could be located?

As always, many thanks.

I was doing some searching myself as my Gt Grandfather was on this ship and survived to tell the tale, I have a drawing he did and other pieces of interest that I can post

Ivan

Ivansat,

Thanks for your kind offer - would be very interested to see what you have! What was your GT.Grandfather's name etc?

I've searched for photos etc. but no luck.

My GT.GT Uncle Thomas John Osborne also survived with 9 others after being adrift for 5 days on a raft commanded by Lt. Smiles. Sadly he did not recover from the effects of exposure and died in may 1918.

Thanks again,

Ant

There is a good account of the action HMS Glenfoyle was sunk in plus the subsequent fate of the survivors in "Sea Killers in Disguise" by Tony Bridgland. I picked a copy up from Amazon for 1p plus postage - worth a read!

Thanks again,

Ant

Ivansat,

Thanks for your kind offer - would be very interested to see what you have! What was your GT.Grandfather's name etc?

I've searched for photos etc. but no luck.

My GT.GT Uncle Thomas John Osborne also survived with 9 others after being adrift for 5 days on a raft commanded by Lt. Smiles. Sadly he did not recover from the effects of exposure and died in may 1918.

Thanks again,

Ant

Hi,

I tried to upload a few things but having trouble files too big send an email to my work mail hhplant@eircom.net and I'll forward on what I have and you may be able to upload it if anyone is interested,

Ivan

Will do Ivan - many, many thanks.

Ant

• 4 months later...
Guest M Reagan

anthony ozzy

Is three years too long a wait? This may be the only surviving image of the Stonecrop AKA Glenfoyle: NOT the actual HMS Stonecrop,but her notorious imposter, armed with artillery and used to lure Uboats, which preyed on Merchant ships.

I, too watched the net a long time for an image of her to surface. The copyright on this has expired (I am American, and the copyright applied to U.S. and Canada), so, it is now free for use by the public. Hope this helps.

http://images.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/108770/data

MHGL000108770.jpg

3 years is not too long to wait - thank you very much! Isn't the internet an amazing thing?

I'm fortunate enough to know the story of the end of the Stonecrop and my Great Uncle Thomas' struggle to survive once the ship had been torpedoed.

The picture adds another piece to the story.

Once again thanks very much,

Kind regards,

Anthony

• 4 years later...

did anyone ever get a photo or a grid reference to where she sank . My great uncle  was aboard it when she went down , poor boy he lied about his age to join the navy , he was only 16 

Dawn,

Did your G. Uncle survive?

Ant

Hi,

I'm just wondering, if GLENFOYLE wasn't the only "strange looking" Q-ship, as she was built for the Great Lakes her apprearance was a little bit unusual.

Attached the BEAVERTON (1908, 2012 g.r.t., Canadian Steamship Lines Ltd.) ...

BEAVERTON was not used as a Q-ship, right, despite her being used also overseas. But the German Sub UB 53 attacked an steamer described by her as a Beaverton type vessel in the Mediterranean in 1918. This attack wasn't recorded within the files available at Kew, London. But if this vessel in fact was an Q-ship ...

Of course GLENFOYLE was sunk already, but was there any other similar vessel used by the Royal Navy in 1918 ?

Someone might know, hopefully.

Thank you

Oliver

Beaverton, steamer.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 26/11/2019 at 06:05, seaJane said:

No he went down with the ship 

On 26/11/2019 at 06:05, seaJane said:

On 25/11/2019 at 18:53, anthony osborne said:

Dawn,

Did your G. Uncle survive?

Ant