Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

OpsMajor

Names of Tanks - personal

delta

Good news and bad.

The annex listing the names of soldiers who served with 6th Bn includes 95564 LCpl H Smith.

However, I cannot find any mention of him amongst the lists of those who became POWs.

Stephen

Ians1900

Stephen,

That's nice to hear that he appears in the annex, and this is certainly my Great Uncle, but strange that you cannot find mention of him being a POW.

I know that it is true that he was a POW. My family on my fathers side all knew about it and my Grandfather ( Harold's brother) first told me about it.

I see that unit diaries will soon be available online from the National Archives. I shall have to have a good read of that.

Did you read the newspaper article I posted a link to in an earlier post above? I was thrilled to find that.

I take it there was no mention of " Freebooter"?

Well thank you very much for doing research on my behalf and thank you to all who have assisted me via this Forum.

Kind regards

Ian

delta

Hello Ian

The war history, which was constructed in the winter of 1918, is not always accurate nor complete, None of the whippets are named in the narrative and, although the authors had access to both official records (i.e. the unit war diaries) as well as the memories of those still serving, it is not perfect regarding names. The copy I was using (a first edition) was originally owned by one the tank commanders who has made amendments to the text, including the name of one man killed in action,

As has been said earlier, your family history adds to what is known, I am sure that Freebooter was the name of a tank in 1918 and that Harold became a POW. Thanks for telling his story on the forum.

If any more information comes to light, please share it with us.

Gareth Davies

I will try and pop into the Tank Museum archive later this week to see if they can find Freebooter.

Ians1900

Thank you, yes I will and thank you Gareth for your kind offer.

Ian

Stebie9173

95564 H Smith appears on the Index of men "Missing" and then "Previously Reported Missing, Now Reported Prisoners Of War In German Hands" on the Official Casualty List - both in 1918. The lists are on the Genealogist website, but are on the top level subscription which I can't access. The lists only go up casualties up to around March 1918 (casualties up to February 1918), so we can rule out anything after April 1918, and I think the German offensive period is out as well. Cambrai is the next one to check of course. If the date of the list is January 1918, then it is probably Cambrai judging from my own research. The top level of access to the website is expensive, so it may be worth looking at the lists at the British Library Newspaper section at Colindale in North London if you are that way. The terms of subscription to the website are also very stringent as regards look-ups.

Steve.

delta

Thank you Master

I shall have another (closer) look at the Cambrai missing list in the 6th Bn war history

Stephen

delta

Have had another check of the Cambrai list in the 6th Bn war history.

It does list the names of officers who became POWs but ORs are restricted to killed, wounded and missing.

Sadly LCpl Smith is not shown

Ians1900

Hi,

Thank you again gentlemen. I have purchased the book and found his name in an annex of those who served with the battalion as you stated above in an earlier post. It's a shame that, as you say, his capture is not referred to in the history, or even his tank by name, but maybe something will turn up in the future. I hope to purchase an Ancestry subscription soon and will see what I can find. I also understand that POW's were interviewed upon release, so maybe there's something at Kew?

It is still a bonus to have so much confirmed so far and I thank all who joined in with this thread and answered questions for me, gave advice, conducted research on my behalf and passed on information.

Ian

Gareth Davies

Ian

Sorry, I wasn't able to make it to the archive last week and I won't be able to next week either but hopefully things will be a little more quiet at work the week after which should allow me to pop out of the office and in to the archive for a couple of hours.

Ians1900

Gareth,

No problem. Thank you for offering to do this for me, I look forward to hearing about what you might find.

Ian

patrick Eggs

A very good subject tank names , also in the various photo's of the crews good to see the various badges of the men and in particular the MGC/heavy branch and later all will be Tanks Corps as we all know,just a small point of interest.

Crimson Ramblerpost-89740-0-20301100-1367165085_thumb.j[

Ians1900

Hmmm, that's interesting. WW1 is not my area of expertise at all; if my Great Uncle transferred to Tanks in early 1917 would his badge have been the one above or a tank?

Ian

patrick Eggs

Hello Ian

Re the Tank Corps men, when they started with Tanks ,they drew men from all sections of the army drivers gunners men with mechanical expertise and so on and many badges appeared , the crossed machine guns, is the Machine Corps to name but one and later they all became the Tank Corps.

Tank corps badge attatched. / Parick Crimson Ramblerpost-89740-0-70430800-1367425973_thumb.j

delta

Crimson Rambler is right.

When men volunteered to serve with the tanks in early 1917, they transferrred to the Heavy Section of the Machine Gun Corps; they also wore the badge of the MGC which was the crossed machine guns..

The Tank corps was formed in late July 1917 and the badge was slowly introduced.

Gareth Davies

Delta

The Heavy Section existed from May 1916 until 16 November 1916 when it changed its name to the Heavy Branch and so anyone joining in early 1917 would have joined the Heavy Branch. The Tank Corps came into being in June 1917.

delta

You are right - always forget the Branch

patrick Eggs

Hello all

This is acopy of my father's Statement of services, tracking his movement after his TF service then embodied service into West Kent (QO) Yeomanry in Sept. 1914 and so on ......to the Tank Corps ,sorry the copy is a little faint but gives an idea of the make up of the Tank Corps.

Hope this is of interest. Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-32372900-1367487824_thumb.j

Gareth Davies

Ian

The Tank Museum have no record of a tank called Freebooter.

Ians1900

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for looking for me, I really do appreciate your help. I was told the name of the Tank by my Great Uncle's son, when he was well and recently also, but now his memory is fading. I wonder if he always had the wrong name in mind?

As there appear to be a large number of tank names known and named in the 6th Battalion History and on different websites, would I be correct in thinking that ALL tank names are known and accounted for? Or might this still be the correct name of my Great Uncle's tank?

If all tanks names are not known, where could I look next?

If you or anyone else reading this has any ideas I would appreciate further guidance.

Kind regards

Ian

Gareth Davies

Ian

As far as I know there isn't a definitive list of all tank names, nor do I know if all tank names are known and accounted for. If the combined brains of this forum and the Tank Museum can't help you then I am not sure who can.

Ian

In a previous post you hinted that you might be heading to the tank museum sometime soon. If you are let me know and I will pop down and say hello.

Ians1900

Ok Gareth,

I will let you know.

Ian

Sidearm

It's fair to say that there are tanks whose names aren't known. I have recently come across a photo of a tank on which is painted a name - trouble is, I can't read it. And this is by no means the only example I can think of.

Gwyn

Ians1900

Thank you Gwyn,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas of where more tank names may have been recorded?

The problem I have is trying to pinpoint from the information posted earlier in this thread, which action my Great Uncle was captured in. I know very little about WW1, but can appreciate that if his date of capture can be discovered, then the information about the tank can be confirmed and I shall know if the name "Freebooter" is correct or not and hopefully ultimately find a photograph of his tank.

Ian

Sidearm

Well, logically yes. But it all depends whether the people recording events saw fit to record the tank's details, whether those records have survived and whether they can be found.

As I wrote along time ago on another thread, there are some things we shall just never know.

Gwyn