Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

22nd Battalion, Manchester Regiment

John_Hartley

A short book, only 84 pages long, of which the history of the Battalion is condensed into 53. The remainder is a useful list of medal awards, roll of honour and platoon photos of the original 7th Pals.

The relative brevity of the account means that Alastair Cowan concentrates on the major engagements and there is regular mention of the comings and goings of officers. It reminds me very much of the style of the four battalion histories published in the 1920s, for the 16, 17, 18 & 19th Battalions. I recall that there was a history written for each of the Regiments service battalions but, for some reason, only these four saw the light of day (although the Regimental Collection has subsequently published the accounts for the 12th and 21st Battalion). So, the Regimental Archives holds an original unpublished account and Cowan has cast a modern eye with his version presumably anyone with a particular interest in the 22nd Battalion might like to compare both versions to gain the fullest possible picture.

Its a book that Manchester Regiment enthusiasts (or someone researching an ancestor) are likely to want on their bookshelves but the brevity means its unlikely to have a much wider audience (the fairly hefty price tag of £14.50 might also be soemthing of a deterrent to casual buyers)

• 2 weeks later...

the reason why only the 16th-19th battalion histories were published was because captain h.c bardsley and his committee of ex members of the pals,had run out of funds,the only two of the pals battalions that have not been done,are the 20th+23rd,but both these battalion histories are being compiled by our forum at this moment

mack

• 4 years later...

where can I get a copy of this booklet ?

My great Grandfather served in C company 22nd Battalion Manchester Regt.

He was killed in action 1st July 1916 but has no known grave.

50 minutes ago, Steve H. said:

where can I get a copy of this booklet ?

My great Grandfather served in C company 22nd Battalion Manchester Regt.

He was killed in action 1st July 1916 but has no known grave.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANCHESTER-REGIMENT-WW1-22nd-Battalion-History-Western-Front-First-World-War-/351519934137?hash=item51d83886b9:g:stYAAOSwWnFV~DKO

• 2 weeks later...

Well,well.

I was in Southern Cemetery, Manchester, a while back looking for a relatives grave when i came across this stone. With a veiw to researching the chap.

sc.jpg

Sadly Lt Alastair Cowan 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and Malayan Veteran died after a very short illness on the 6th December, he was the author of The 22nd Manchesters and a Forum member of the Manchester Regt forum.

His father had served as a Captain in WW1 & WW2.