Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 19th Hussars -90 Years ago today

ianw

"Then , out of the blue, in the middle of a quiet afternoon came a most unusual call. General Parade. Soon we are in squadron order. The S.SM's dress the ranks.

The Colonel emerges from the Officer's Mess with the Second-in -Command.

He calls the regiment to attention- using our full name and title. He has little to say. He says it in a clear voice and ends " .. I am sure you will be a credit to the regiment to which we are all proud to belong"

War ! The regiment goes mad. Caps are thrown into the air and the ranks break and flood towards the troop-rooms."

(From "Hussar of the Line" F.H Maitland)

Indeed they all went off to their last conflict together as the "Old Mob" and served magnificently. Fortunately, My Grandfather survived. We remember those who did not return.

• 8 years later...
Guest researcher73

Hi ianw,

I am working with Ruan Magan (ruanmagan) on the planned television documentary on the 19th Hussars veteran who fathered an "interesting son". I noticed that you replied to Ruan's recent post in relation to this matter.

I was very interested to see that your grandfather Edward Levingston also served with the 19th. As we are keen to make contact with relatives of those who served with the regiment, I was wondering if I could correspond with you by email in relation to this matter?

Thanks and best regards,

David

Absolutely delighted to talk to anyone about the 19th Hussars.

Ian

Bet you're popular down the pub ... :whistle:

Sadly we can also ponder that 90 years ago today the regiment was 6 months on from disbandment, restoration and amalgamation.

Stephen,

My goodness, 8 years has passed by since that "90 years ago" post of my youth - and as you say the 15th/19th hoves into view. But it will soon be "100 years ago"! Hurrah.

Your comment indicates that like myself (and I would think many other Forum members) you have learnt to steer away from the temptation to take every conversation towards the Great War. Lapse occasionally though and the Brum Conference offers a great chance to massively overdose across 2 days - but among fellow addicts.

"My name is ianw and I am a hussaroholic "

(But a TV documentary about "The Old Mob" - how cool is that!)

By the way, anyone out there who also has this affliction... I have two letters sent from Francis Maitland to Colonel Hitchcock regarding the proof reading of Hussar of the line (letters dated 1949) ..If anyones interested in seeing them...drop me a line and I'll email copies.I am a believer in sharing such treasures! The more its 'out there' reduces the chances of it being lost forever. A word of warning though ..one of them is hand written and very hard to decipher!!

PM on its way (and thanks for the earlier link, too!)

I do wish you lot wouldn't keep rubbing it in about Hussar of the Line (of which I still haven't managed to obtain a copy)

Had a nice chat on the phone with the Irish researcher doing the early spadework on the possible "Who Do You Think Your Are" TV programme for Irish tele.

Put in a few suggestions for televisual 19th H locations that I would like to see featured.

He did however say that a good proportion of these shows fell by the wayside between concept and production - and of course most of us wouldn't get to see it unless they gave someone a DVD!

Oh dear: I'd probably have to break a rule and watch the ruddy thing. Normally avoid those sort of programmes like the proverbial.

He'd have to kill us if he told us.

Whilst I wasn't actually sworn to secrecy, I won't mention the soldier's name leaving this for the researcher if he wishes to - although the Private concerned survived the war and went on to father a well known (in the Republic) tele and film actor. Hence the potential interest.

• 1 year later...

I am researching 9684 Private Walter L J Wills 19th Hussars. He became a POW quite early on and survived the war.

The War DIary records 4 deaths between August 1914 and end November 1914. However CWGC shows another 19 of the 19th Hussars as having died in that time. Why are they not mentioned?

Any help appreciated.

Peter

I am researching 9684 Private Walter L J Wills 19th Hussars. He became a POW quite early on and survived the war.

The War DIary records 4 deaths between August 1914 and end November 1914. However CWGC shows another 19 of the 19th Hussars as having died in that time. Why are they not mentioned?

Any help appreciated.

Peter

Peter,

Please keep in mind that during the period in question the squadrons of the 19th Hussars were split up to provide divisional cavalry for the BEF. Therefore, any war diary would not have been a consolidated one for the whole regiment.

Regards

Ian

"Then , out of the blue, in the middle of a quiet afternoon came a most unusual call. General Parade. Soon we are in squadron order. The S.SM's dress the ranks.

The Colonel emerges from the Officer's Mess with the Second-in -Command.

He calls the regiment to attention- using our full name and title. He has little to say. He says it in a clear voice and ends " .. I am sure you will be a credit to the regiment to which we are all proud to belong"

War ! The regiment goes mad. Caps are thrown into the air and the ranks break and flood towards the troop-rooms."

(From "Hussar of the Line" F.H Maitland)

Indeed they all went off to their last conflict together as the "Old Mob" and served magnificently. Fortunately, My Grandfather survived. We remember those who did not return.

My how time flies - within a few short months it will be a 100 years rather than 90 since the 19th Hussars and all the other elements of the B.E.F mobilised and went off enthusiastically to Armageddon.

Fortunately, my Grandfather came through but 2 of his brothers did not together with many of his comrades in the 19th Hussars.

We continue to remember them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Avengelyne

100 years ever closer...

Apologies for jumping in on this thread!

I have just found that my Grandfather is Francis Maitland... Long story and an illegitimate mother!

I am now looking for any and all information on him (as a person) and his time serving in The 19th Royal Hussars, my mother has a copy of Hussars of the line but isn't willing to part with it at this time.

NellieD if you are reading this do you happen to still have the letters Francis wrote? I would be so interested to see those, I don't know how to PM or would have asked privately!

I know this is a big request, but I'm not sure how else to find out about the man (BDM brings up nothing but his marriage and that was never to my grandmother!)

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to help me!