Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Unfindables, possible IFCP lads

museumtom

Good man Paddy, much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

This is a bit mad lads and lassies, I cannot find this lad in CWGC. What am I missing? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

First name(s) George
Last name Reid
Service number 8363
Rank Sergt.
Regiment Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Battalion 1st Battalion.
Birth place Aghavea, Co. Fermanagh
Residence -
Enlistment place Enniskillen
Death year 1916
Death day 1
Death month 7
Cause of death Killed in action
Death place France & Flanders
Theatre of war Western European Theatre

Hi Tom

I actually put George's name forward when checking for IFCP back in 2009 so I suggest you PM Terry Denham for an update as there is an SER entry on Ancestry

Edited by Bardess

Thank you Diane, I am glad that I am not going mad after all!. I will pop off an email to IFCP.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 6 months later...

I thought I was finished with this, but I am now going through the death certs for Ireland and the first three that popped up are these and I cannot find them. I know in my heart of hearts that you guys love a mystery so here they are for what they are worth. They are from an army camp in Newtownards, County Down.

Thank you for all your help so far, please God we might find enough to add them to IFCP and they will receive proper recognition after all these years. 

1.jpg

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

For your reference, here is one of the lads from the Camp that has a grave. There may be a clue there someplace or something.

Kind regards.

Tom.

https://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/355553/

1.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by museumtom

Tom

Robert Conroy  died 10/6/1918.Soldiers Died has him as 109269 Labour Corps. Formerly 14270 9th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles. Born Dungannon  Co. Tyrone

CWGC has him as Rifleman 14270 R Conroy Royal Irish Rifles, buried  Holme (Holy Trinity) Churchyard.

Bob

Thank you Bob, great find.

Thank you kindly indeed.

Below is one more (sorry about that).

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.jpg

A Possible for John Rea  CWGC has  Pte 553854  Labour Corps  buried  Boyle ( Assylinn ) Cemetery Co.Roscommon.  John born Cottehonn  Co Roscommon.

Bob

That certainly fits the clues, thanks Bob!

Brilliant.

Well done lads, I knew it would not take a peep out of you. I am still a bit wary going through the death certs, initial findings show they might throw up an awful lot of new names, somewhat the same as the Soldiers Effects are. I am waiting to be connected to unlimited broadband and when that happens I expect to be snowed under as they reveal missing lads.

Thanks again for all your help, it God's great scheme of things you lot are totally unbeatable.

Kindest regards and thanks again.

Tom.

Omer’s son died at Dunkirk 4/6/1940. Omer Flackart McRae is on the Dunkirk Memorial. 

11 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Maybe the same Omer McRae served 1914/5 and discharged due to FGCM. 4861 also  Royal Scots

There look to be 1902 service papers for him on FMP.

Whoooooaaaaaaa lads, that great findings, information overload...and I thought it might stump ye...not a chance it seems.

Thanks again lads!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Death registered in Newtownards in 1918 for Frank P Murray, born c1899.

26545 Francis Patrick (Frank) Murray, Royal Dublin Fusiliers (228110 Labour Corps) - Bangor Cemetery 27/12/1917 - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/661313/murray,-francis-patrick-(frank)/

He was from Bramley, Yorkshire. Actually born c1889. Has surviving service papers.

Don't get too excited about Omer's 1902 enlistment. Only in Royal Scots for 10 days and then chucked out due to "mis-statement of age".

Edited by Mark1959

I won't.

So that's Murray, McRae, Conroy and, (probably), Milloy sorted. 

We'll just have to wait for Tom's internet connection now...

47 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Brilliant.

Well done lads, I knew it would not take a peep out of you. I am still a bit wary going through the death certs, initial findings show they might throw up an awful lot of new names, somewhat the same as the Soldiers Effects are. I am waiting to be connected to unlimited broadband and when that happens I expect to be snowed under as they reveal missing lads.

Thanks again for all your help, it God's great scheme of things you lot are totally unbeatable.

Kindest regards and thanks again.

Tom. 

Keep 'em coming.

Craig

The effects register shows Francis Milloy, died 2 Nov 18 at Belfast Military Hospital.

Monies paid to his mother Mary.

Craig

59 minutes ago, IPT said:

There is a civil death registered for Omer McCrea registered in Newtownards in 1918. Born 1886.

CWGC have him as 3238 O. McRae, Royal Scots - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2830954/mcrae,-/

Burial Report has 387444 Labour Corps. Next of kin: Mr O. McRae, Whites Close West, Dulkeith

SDGW have Omoi McRae. 

The effects register transcription shows him as Ouar McRae - died 2 Jan 18 at Newtownards. Monies paid to his widow Jane.

Craig

Thanks again lads. sadly I am waiting for the new broadband system which will be in the next two weeks and I am heading for W&Peace revival next week in Kent so all is up ion the air. I have to admit, with the support of this forum we should be able to find a lot of new lads for IFCP. 

Kind regards.

Tom.