How about -

L/Cpl William Leitch

2nd Bn Irish Guards

no. 1909

27 Nov 1917 KIA France

Born Ballysokerry Co. Mayo

Enlisted Ballina Co. Mayo

Residence Pimlico Middlesex.

His is the only William Leitch/Leetch medal card on Ancestry - disembarked France 13 Aug 1914, awarded Clasp (but no mention of star) BW and VM.

CWGC has him commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial panel 2 and 3.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, I have a handle on him now, kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

Glad I could help.

Here is another one resolved:

JAGEURS, JOHN DAVID

Service No:1055

Date of Death:29/07/1916

Regiment/Service:Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

24th Bn.

Panel Reference

MemorialVILLERS-BRETONNEUX MEMORIAL

Additional Information:None

Stuart

Tom

Glad I could help.

JAGEURS, JOHN DAVID

24th Bn.

Panel Reference

Stuart

Hello Stuart, you will have to remind me, which lad is this please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello Stuart, you will have to remind me, which lad is this please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

He was listed in your 1st post - though CWGC has his name spelt differently - I did a search for only John for June/July 1916 and this was what came up.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, yes that seems to be the lad but I cannot find any Irish connection with him. Thanks for your help though.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Re Fenlon

His service Papers on Ancestry as 1279 Hussars enlisted 31 10 1906, posted to 4th 18 Sep 1909, posted 10th Reg (4th reserve) 19 Dec 1914 discharged as unfit for war service 22 Jan 1916 per Paragragh 392 (xvi) KR. Had given Grayfield Carlow as his address on enlistment, with occupation van driver aged 19. Served in South Africa Sep 1907 to Dec 1909 and in France 15 Aug 1914 to 18 Dec 1914. Next of kin given as father John Ballyhide Queens Co. Mother Mary with brothers Patrick and Michael and sisters Maggie, Katie and Mary. Medical report noted him having TB which he got at Ypres, France. Was admitted initailly to Duchess of Westminister Hospital 15 Dec 1914.Sent home 4 Jan 1915. Admitted Curragh Military Hospital 15 Dec 1915.Discharged as unfit. Medal Card notes him being discharged 28 Jan 1916. Awarded 14 Star, BW, VM.

Stuart

PS Looked at Jageurs Papers in Australian Archives - could not see an Irish connection. Cloest he was in Oxford in hospital.

Re BURGESS

papers on Ancestry.

Private Antony Burgess 3/4355 3rd Connaught rangers, Depot, discharged 23 Nov 1916 at Cork aged 40.Residence Irishtown, Athlone, Co. Westmeath with trade at town labourer. Discharged as unfit under paragraph 392 (xvi) KR. Military character - Fair. Character - a sober man during his service. Served in Mesopotamia. Had been in hospital in Liverpool and Manchester with TB. Refused admittance to Sanitarium.

Stuart

Good Man Stuart another hit, many thanks.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

Glad I could help.

JAGEURS, JOHN DAVID

24th Bn.

Panel Reference

Stuart

John Davitt Jaguers, son of Morgan Jaguers of Tullamore

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/jageurs-morgan-peter-6819

I take off my cap to you Johnnie, I knew there had to be an Irish connection in there somewhere, well done and thank you kindly!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Stuart did the hard bit. No Matter what variation I tried it didn't lead to John Davitt Jaguers.

In a sad twist, his father appears to have carved his own sons name on the War Memorial at Parkville, Victoria

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_cZztKeozUsC&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=%22Davitt+Jageurs%22&source=bl&ots=Ea2z7zwbl-&sig=REGra-f9Cc0amnkDGpdiYRQVxjg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_otKT43_ItTs8QOViM2xDg&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=jageurs&f=false

Interesting to see that Michael Davitt was his godfather.

• 1 year later...

Hi Tom

ROBERT THOMPSON DALY

just had a look at Robert,s pesion papers

from his discharge Document

Cause of discharge Physically unfit (tuberculosis Plum-)

Originated 19/08/16 in France fell ill a few days and reported sick 25/08/16

TB found when in France moist ailes? in upper lobis? weight 9s 7 lbs improved 6lbs

6lbs since 1/9/16 little cough very little expectororation? TB found Sept 8th expiation prolonged at apices?

Respiration rather harsh occasional night sweats result of active service due to infection response

Not Stated if permanent Total Incapacity

Discharged from the army 22/10/ 1916

died at home 7th January 1917 four months after discharge

as he died just 4 months after discharge due to T B contacted in France ? he may qualify for inclusion

on CWGC I am sure the In from the cold team will advise

if you would like a copy of the relevent Documents PM me with an e mail address will send as j pegs

or for those with Ancestry here is the link R T Daly

regards Ray

Robert Thompson Daly is one of five parishioners of Maryborough commemorated on a plaque in St. Peter's Church of Ireland, in Portlaoise.

The plaque reads:

"To the Glory of God

And in Proud and Faithful Memory of the

Following Members of This Parish who

Laid Down Their Lives in the

Great War. 1914 - 1918.

Erected by the Parishioners."

He is down as having been a sergeant in the R.A.O.C.

His name, however - as you probably know - does not appear in the "Ireland's Memorial Records 1914 - 1918" volumes.

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for some information on a missing relative and not sure where to begin.

Name Matthew Regan, born Sligo 22 April, 1872. We believe that he served in France with Irish Guards as a reference was made to this in an RIC piece about the enlistment of his brother, John Regan ( Irish Guards 6301). Otherwise we have no information as he left home and was not heard from again.

All help appreciated!

I'm looking for some information on a missing relative and not sure where to begin.

Name Matthew Regan, born Sligo 22 April, 1872. We believe that he served in France with Irish Guards as a reference was made to this in an RIC piece about the enlistment of his brother, John Regan ( Irish Guards 6301). Otherwise we have no information as he left home and was not heard from again.

All help appreciated!

You're best off starting a new post so that your post doesn't get lost in amongst this one.

Craig

Hugh Hewitt - there were several H. Hewitts in the South African War.

Source - Anglo-Boer War Forum name search

Hewitt H Ordinary Seaman QSA (0). Ref: 188.504.
Source: QSA medal rolls
HMS Niobe

Hewitt H 6544 Private 6th Battalion
Source: QSA roll
(Duke of Cambridge's Own) Middlesex Regiment

Hewitt H Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls (King's) Shropshire Light Infantry

Hewitt H Source: Medal rolls Dorsetshire Regiment

Hewitt H F Source: WO100/280 Colesburg TG

Hewitt H G Trooper Source: QSA Medal Rolls 71st Company, 18th Btn, IY

Hewitt H M Source: QSA and KSA rolls British South Africa Police

Hewitt Harold 43721 Trooper No known Company. Served in 34th Btn IY
Source: QSA Medal Rolls
Imperial Yeomanry

Hewitt Harold Edward James 11593 Trooper Source: QSA Medal Rolls 63rd Co, 1st Btn, IY

Hewitt Hector Norman Simson 295 Corporal Source: OZ-Boer database Victoria, 4th Imperial Contingent

Hewitt Henry 38235 Private Source: QSA Medal Rolls 140th Company, 31st Btn, IY

Hewitt Hy Ineyrick Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls Southern Rhodesian Volunteers

Tom,

You are going to have to get used to these local rag typos.

F E Warby is Frederick Ernest WORBY:

CWGC

Phil

Hi

Service Records on Ancestry under WARBY, Died of Bomb Wounds to Abdomen,Abbeville.Regards Barry

Thank you most kindly, Inspector, very much appreciated. Sorry for the pate reply, I was at the War and Peace Revival for the last 12 days.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Re HUNT

There is a book entitled "Eight Generations:The story of our family" by Dennis Ford (available to read online), which confirms that HUNT was

Patrick Joseph HUNT, the son of Michael and Bridget Hunt of Milltown, Castlerea, Co Roscommon.

He enlisted in the Irish Guards on 7 August 1915 (Pvt 9486) and was posted to the 1st Battalion.

At the time of enlistment his address was given as Benington Bush Hotel, Liverpool.

He was killed in action as a result of an artillery bombardment on 26 July 1917 at Proven, Belgium and is buried at Bleuet Farm Cemetery, Plot 1-B-13.

More details of his family are available in the book.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/436512/

HTH

Iain.

What a marvelous bit of sleuthing! Thank you Iain, very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

SULLIVAN, PATRICK. Rank: Fireman. Regiment or Service: Mercantile Marine. Unit: S. S. “Coningbeg” (Glasgow). The only information I have on this sailor is contained in the below. He is not in any of the War Dead databases.

Waterford News. May, 1915.

Waterford Fireman Killed in Liverpool.

A man named Patrick Sullivan, of Ballytruckle, Waterford, a fireman on board the S. S. ”Coningbeg, ” owned by the Clyde Shipping Company, fell into the Princess Dry Dock at Liverpool on Sunday and died on Monday from the effects of the injuries received. Deceased was a young man. He was unmarried and lived with his sister at Ballytruckle. He had a brother working aboard the “Coningbeg” also.

Tom,

The memorial to the crew of the Coningbeg (and its sister ship the SS Formby, sunk 2 days earlier) at the Quay in Waterford lists a John Sullivan as a Winchman at the time it was sunk by U-62 on 17 December 1917.

CWGC lists John Sullivan as being 57 years of age, so a bit old to be the brother of Patrick who is described as a young man. Could there be another family relationship, an uncle perhaps?

John was the Son of the late James and Anne Sullivan; husband of Margaret Sullivan (nee Foran), of 16, Poleberry, Waterford, Co. Waterford. Born at Waterford.

Iain.

• 1 year later...

Harry

Last nameMossman

Birth year1888

Birthplace-

Death year1916

Death date01 Jan 1916

Age28

Service number-

RankSapper

RegimentRoyal Engineers

Unit97th Company

Enlisted atAthlone, County Westmeath

ResidenceTullamore, King's County

CountyKing's (Offaly)

CountryIreland

Cause of deathDied of tuberculosis

CemeteryNo burial information other than he was buried in a cemetery in Tullamore.

Grave-

Supplementary informationSon of Mary Mossman

NotesDied of T. B, aggravated by military service.

NewspapersKing's County Independent, January, 1916. Sapper H. Mossman, R. E. On Thursday morning last the death occurred, to the deep regret of his relatives and friends, of Sapper Harry Mossman, of the Royal Engineers, at King Street, after a rather protracted illness, caused by wounds received in France in December, 1914. Deceased was 28 years of age and was well and favourably known by all classes. He was of a quiet and friendly disposition. He served his time to the blacksmith trade in Messrs Sloane's factory, and turned out a first-class tradesman. He then enlisted in the Royal Engineers for three years service and nine years on the reserve. At the time of the outbreak of the war he was employed at Messrs P. and H. Egan's, Ltd., Tullamore.He was sent out to France at the beginning of hostilities. He was wounded in December and afterwards treated in Gravesend hospital. During his time there bombs were dropped on the hospital by Zeppelins, but, fortunately, the damage done was slight. Since then he had been in delicate health and had the attendance of local doctors frequently. He also had the tender care of a loving mother and sisters with whom deep sympathy is felt in their sad bereavement. The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon, with military honours. The remains were placed on the gun carrage drawn by four horses, after which a member of the local men of the R. F. A. . marched two deep. The chief mourners were;---Mr Armstrong, Galway (brother-in-law); Mrs Mossman (mother); and Miss Ethel Mossman(sister). He was one of the original 'Old Contemptables' and qualified for his 1914 Star (often referred to as the 'Mons Star') on the 23-August-1914. This medal was awarded to men who were within the sound of the guns between August and September 1914. He also qualified for the Victory medal and the War medal. (He is not listed in any of the war dead databases. )

14 minutes ago, John Dodd said:

Harry

Last nameMossman

Birth year1888

Birthplace-

Death year1916

Death date01 Jan 1916

Age28

Service number-

RankSapper

RegimentRoyal Engineers

Unit97th Company

Enlisted atAthlone, County Westmeath

ResidenceTullamore, King's County

CountyKing's (Offaly)

CountryIreland

Cause of deathDied of tuberculosis

CemeteryNo burial information other than he was buried in a cemetery in Tullamore.

Grave-

Supplementary informationSon of Mary Mossman

NotesDied of T. B, aggravated by military service.

NewspapersKing's County Independent, January, 1916. Sapper H. Mossman, R. E. On Thursday morning last the death occurred, to the deep regret of his relatives and friends, of Sapper Harry Mossman, of the Royal Engineers, at King Street, after a rather protracted illness, caused by wounds received in France in December, 1914. Deceased was 28 years of age and was well and favourably known by all classes. He was of a quiet and friendly disposition. He served his time to the blacksmith trade in Messrs Sloane's factory, and turned out a first-class tradesman. He then enlisted in the Royal Engineers for three years service and nine years on the reserve. At the time of the outbreak of the war he was employed at Messrs P. and H. Egan's, Ltd., Tullamore.He was sent out to France at the beginning of hostilities. He was wounded in December and afterwards treated in Gravesend hospital. During his time there bombs were dropped on the hospital by Zeppelins, but, fortunately, the damage done was slight. Since then he had been in delicate health and had the attendance of local doctors frequently. He also had the tender care of a loving mother and sisters with whom deep sympathy is felt in their sad bereavement. The funeral took place on Saturday afternoon, with military honours. The remains were placed on the gun carrage drawn by four horses, after which a member of the local men of the R. F. A. . marched two deep. The chief mourners were;---Mr Armstrong, Galway (brother-in-law); Mrs Mossman (mother); and Miss Ethel Mossman(sister). He was one of the original 'Old Contemptables' and qualified for his 1914 Star (often referred to as the 'Mons Star') on the 23-August-1914. This medal was awarded to men who were within the sound of the guns between August and September 1914. He also qualified for the Victory medal and the War medal. (He is not listed in any of the war dead databases. )

Soldiers effects entry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=ZOz32&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=UKArmyRegistersEffects&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsln=mossman&gsln_x=0&msddy=1916&MSAV=1&uidh=yvc&pcat=39&fh=15&h=565656&recoff=5&ml_rpos=16

He died a few days after being discharged.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you most kindly Craig and thank you also John.

Kind regards.

Tom.

12 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thank you most kindly Craig and thank you also John.

Kind regards.

Tom.

You need a new country to start on Tom - something a bit bigger so we can go for longer.

Craig

I like little countries Craig, they are far easier. I think you should start with a little country and I will help you. Whaddya think?

Kind regards.

Tom.