Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sante

Tom Morgan

I visited Sante, the new bar in Ypres the other day. I was in the front row when it came to criticising the owner for one of his forum postings, so I thought I had better be one of the first to drop in.

I must say that a lot of hard work has gone into setting up the bar. It's nothing like an ex-pat English boozer. In fact it's as clean, stylish and Belgian-looking as you could get! Not a British beer in sight, either, as far as I could see. Friendly too, even after I'd introduced myself. :ph34r:

Worth a visit I'd say. I wish them luck.

Tom

It's nothing like an ex-pat English boozer.

In that case, having also been critical in an earlier post, I'm more than happy to take it all back. I'll be in during my trip (probably late November though). Good luck in the meantime.

John

I was quite annoyed at the reception Patrick got from some Forum members when he posted his initial post about the opening of his new bar. I visited it for the first time last night. What a cracking place. I echo Tom Morgans comments on the bar. Its well worth a visit when you come over to Ypres. A very refreshing place.

Iain

Thank you for the kind words Ian.

As you know it's not easy starting off a new venture in a foreign country (even though the wife is from these parts) and it's not cheap either. We gambled a lot of money trying to get it right, so i'm glad you like it.

It makes it all seem worth while,

Cheers mate and "Sante!"

Patrick & Fanny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Patrick. Would just like to echo the previous! Super bar, atmosphere was great,it was a pleasure to meet our new neighbors, have a feeling Glenn will have some work to do in our new house too! Fanny is more Essex than you mate! The Jupiler was brill and the company was great! What more can I say! There, a few beers would be most grateful,Ha! Wish you both the very best of luck and a prosperous future, see you soon, Chris and Milena. ( Neerstraat 14)

I visited it for the first time last night. What a cracking place. I echo Tom Morgans comments on the bar. Its well worth a visit when you come over to Ypres. A very refreshing place.

Hello Iain

After what happened in the Shell Hole when we met earlier this year I would be interested to know what you thought of the beer, that is if you drank more than a mouthful :P

Andy

The Jupiler was brill

You go to West Flanders - and you drink Jupiler? Come on, Belgian friends, educate this pal, he's in dire need... :lol:

The Jupiler was brill

You go to West Flanders - and you drink Jupiler? Come on, Belgian friends, educate this pal, he's in dire need... :lol:

Indeed you need to try hommel, west-Vleteren, St- bernardus, ...

I 've been in the sante too, nice but very modern, cool. But a very nice bar indeed.

Andy,

Don't know what you mean mate!!!!!! :P Hopefully its got nothing to do with that traffic cone I found in my bed next morning :o !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regds

Iain

P.S. When are you next in Ypres mate?

P.S. When are you next in Ypres mate?

Iain

I shall be in Ypres (wife in tow this time <_< ) from 27th to 30th September this year. My wife has no interest in the Great War but does like the occasional beer!!!?!

Andy

I'd like to echo other Pals' positive comments. My wife and I became regulars at Sante during our recent three day stay in Ieper. Watched the Olympics over a glass or two of wine or beer. The Queue de Charrou (pardon French spelling) from Ploegsteert was on tap and very nice if deceptively potent. A very friendly welcome was extended

I'll superglue him to a stool in the Shell Hole Bar and ply him with 20 Gallons of Bockor Beer!! :D

A bar stool hasn't been made that can hold me :ph34r: