Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS MENDI 21/02/17

nick ward408

Hello, my name is Ntombiyengwane from South Africa, KwaZulu Natal. my great grand father was also recruited to join the soldiers.... as per story told to us. all we know is that he never came back. we trying to get more information about SS Mendi and thanks God his name appears there though with another surname. so now we don't know what to do next. we really need closure as a family. His name is Mzingeli, if there is someone who can help us with a way forward we will appreciate it. Thank you.

• 5 months later...
On 2/21/2012 at 1:31 PM, NigelS said:

Another thing which hasn't really been mentioned is the loss of many of the crew of the Mindi in the collision these, being merchant seamen, don't appear in the CWGC listings, nor does there appear to be any memorial specifically to them. The Court of Inquiry specifically mentioned the gallantry of 'Hugh J. Wilson, quartermaster of the Mendi, and Fourth Engineer Pascoe, of the Mendi, who gave up their seats in the lifeboat, also of Vincent Capler, an ordinary seaman..' all of whom appear to have survived.

Hi,

I am still new in this forum-please forgive if I am not doing things correctly as I still have to find my way around. The information in this forum is excellent and I have learned a great deal. History always fascinated me.

From the above quote, I noticed that there were a Fourth Engineer Pascoe on the Mendi which  could or could not be my husband's grandfather. Does anybody have any additional information- such as his first names, ect? 

Any info will be much appreciated, thanks!

Hi Esme,  welcome to the forum.  Fourth engineer Pascoe' initials  (JW) appear on this website http://www.merseysiderollofhonour.co.uk/obits/ships/mendi.htm which ought to help.

A further search finds a JW Pascoe on a summary of a crew list  for ship 'Chama' (dated 1915) held by the  Royal Museums Greenwich http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/649012.html  which gives:  "J W Pascoe; rank/rating, 4th Engineer; age, 22; place of birth, Liverpool; previous ship, 'Abinsi'." which seem likely to be the same chap (his age and place of birth used in conjunction with other, hopefully known, family history should be a help in tying down whether he might be your husband's grandfather.) 

As he served as merchant seaman it is likely that he will appear on other crew lists,  which may or may not gives his Christian names, and possibly further  personal information. Some crew lists  for the 'Mendi'  are held by the University of Newfoundland  https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=120875  (The official number for the SS Mendi  - 120875 - necessary for that search came from http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?ref=16175 which gives comprehensive technical details of the ship herself). It's possible he might appear on the last one given for 1916, but this would depend on whether he'd joined her by then which is, of course, by no means certain. Unfortunately accessing these records requires payment, which personally I'd be reluctant to do unless I was 100% certain it would actually yield some information that would be of use.

Good luck with your quest.

NigelS

By a remarkable coincidence the BBC news site is currently reporting on the 'return'  of the SS Mendi's bell to South Africa.  SS Mendi: Theresa May to return WW1 shipwreck's bell to South Africa & SS Mendi: WW1 shipwreck's bell returned to South Africa by Theresa May

I'm not certain that, as it didn't originate from South Africa in the first place, 'return' is the right word to use, and even if this is for political reasons,  the Mendi's bell is certainly of  far more historical significance to South Africans than it is to the UK so this must be the right place for it to reside, certainly far better than in a museum here where few are aware of the story.

NigelS

The Mercantile Marine medal records (see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seamens-campaign-medal-records-1914-1918/) list only two JW Pascoes, Joseph Wills, born Liverpool 1892, and John William, born Douglas, Isle of Man 1879.  Unfortunately, not every merchant seaman qualified for medals, and these cards don't have any service details, and in this instance don't even say where the medals were actually sent.  They do give certificate/Discharge and RS2 numbers though which I think can help you link to other records. In this case there are two records in the later merchant seamen's record for Joseph Wills Pascoe https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=TNA/BT350/2130900909/1, and https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=TNA/BT349/2130615167/1. These link via the Dis A number to the medal card, and confirm that Joseph was an engineer - the 1918 card is not clear, but by 1921 he has definitely reached 2nd engineer.  The image associated with the first link includes a photo of him, and lists what are probably the official numbers for 3 ships he served on, one each for (late) 1918, 1919 and 1920.  The image for the second link includes hair colour, eye colour etc

15 hours ago, NigelS said:

By a remarkable coincidence the BBC news site is currently reporting on the 'return'  of the SS Mendi's bell to South Africa.  SS Mendi: Theresa May to return WW1 shipwreck's bell to South Africa & SS Mendi: WW1 shipwreck's bell returned to South Africa by Theresa May

I'm not certain that, as it didn't originate from South Africa in the first place, 'return' is the right word to use, and even if this is for political reasons,  the Mendi's bell is certainly of  far more historical significance to South Africans than it is to the UK so this must be the right place for it to reside, certainly far better than in a museum here where few are aware of the story.

NigelS

Particularly impressed by the bell being carefully wrapped in copious quantities of bubble wrap. I do hope it's slightly better-presented when handed over.

Mind you, loads of bubble wrap can be great fun ...

and let's just hope that bubble wrap doesn't end up in the sea

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Spotted today by a colleague "on the inside of the small sea wall across the road from the Spice Island Inn, Old Portsmouth."

Mendi.jpg