Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wynne Austin Guest-Williams

Old Owl

Hi All,

Can anyone help? According to his obituary: "--secured a University Nomination into the 2nd Royal Berkshire Regiment in 1910. He was promoted Lieutenant in 1912 and served in India prior to the war, being present at the Durbar in 1911. He went to France with his regiment on the outbreak of war and was twice wounded in 1914; he was killed on a German parapet near Bois Grenier on 25th September, 1915."

I wonder if anyone has a copy of Peter Duckers book on those awarded the 1911 medal to British Units?

Many thanks, Robert

Don't know if it helps or not, Robert, but he's on the 1911 census as follows:-

Name: Wynne Austin Guest Williams

Age in 1911: 21

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890

Relation to Head: Boarder

Birth Place: St Margarets Durham

Civil parish: St Pancras

County/Island: London

Street Address: 32 Coram Street, St Pancras W C

Marital Status: Single

Registration district: St Pancras

Registration District Number: 9

Sub-registration district: South St Pancras

ED, institution, or vessel: 13

Many thanks for this Louise.

The 1911 census must have found him between University(Pembroke College, Oxford) where he took a 2nd Class in Classical Moderations in 1910 and graduated B.A. in 1911, and the army. He had previously been commissioned into the 8th(T)Bn DLI in 1908 upon leaving Durham School.

As the 1911 Durbar was held on 12th December,1911, it is quite feasible that he could have been in India with the 2nd Royal Berkshires by then and could have attended the Durbar as most British units were well represented. I just need a Berkshires collector or someone with Peter Duckers book to confirm this.

Robert

Robert I will check when I get back to my library this afternoon.

Mick

Sorry I have checked every combination of the name, no luck, there were only 6 officers of the R. Berks awarded the 1911 DD.

Sorry I have checked every combination of the name, no luck, there were only 6 officers of the R. Berks awarded the 1911 DD.

Thanks for checking this out Mick.

I suppose that it was rather an ambiguous statement!!? He must have attended as an observer rather than an official participant, hence no medal.

I thought foolishly that I had stumbled on something which others may have missed, more fool I !!!

Many thanks once again,

Robert