Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fiat Trucks in Russia

James A Pratt III

I am looking for information on Fiat trucks in russia during WW I. Mainly I am looking for a photo(s)drawings and other information on the 1/2 ton Fiat trucks. This is the type of vechical that was used to transport the bodies of Tsar Nicholas II and family after they were murdered by the Cheka (Soviet secret police). i understand it had a bed 6ft by 10 ft.

i know that Italian made vehicals were rare in Russia pre WW I. I know that Fiat made about 3500 vehicals per year pre war and 70,862 from 1915-18. i have also read of Fiat Ikorsky, American Fiat and Armstrong-Whitworth Fiat armored cars in use in russia during WW I and after. so it could have been a license built vehical. Thanks in advance.

I am looking for information on Fiat trucks in russia during WW I. Mainly I am looking for a photo(s)drawings and other information on the 1/2 ton Fiat trucks. This is the type of vechical that was used to transport the bodies of Tsar Nicholas II and family after they were murdered by the Cheka (Soviet secret police). i understand it had a bed 6ft by 10 ft.

i know that Italian made vehicals were rare in Russia pre WW I. I know that Fiat made about 3500 vehicals per year pre war and 70,862 from 1915-18. i have also read of Fiat Ikorsky, American Fiat and Armstrong-Whitworth Fiat armored cars in use in russia during WW I and after. so it could have been a license built vehical. Thanks in advance.

James,

Could it be the Fiat 15-ter ?

The Fiat 15ter was designed by Carlo Cavalli, and entered service in 1912. It was a very sturdy an reliable vehicle, something that was proven when a convoy of 23 Fiat 15ter lorries made the first motor vehicle crossing of the Sahara, travelling three thousand kilometres without mechanical problems. It was first used in war in the Libyan war of 1912 - hence it's nickname: "Libia". It had a four cylinder petrol engine of 4398 cc (40 hp at 1800 rpm) and twin rear wheels fitted with inflated tyres. It weighed some 1.4 tons, and could attain a maximum speed of some 40km/h.

The soundness of the design was proven by the fact that it was used not only by the Italian Army, but also by the British Army on both the Italian and Greek fronts. Also, it was produced under license in Russia from 1916, by the firm of AMO: 750 light trucks and 750 light staff cars of Fiat 15ter type was ordered. In Italy it was produced between 1911 and 1920, and it was in service until 1940.

LF

Fiat 15-ter trucks in Russia.

post-63666-0-64252300-1329530388.jpg

post-63666-0-49190400-1329530464.jpg

The larger Fiat 18BL.

Unlike the British, French and Germans the Italian Army had no subsidy scheme operation when the First World War started. In 1914 the Italian Army was very short of vehicles and the War Department asked Fiat to give top priority to developing a standard military wagon comparable to foreign war subsidy types. The resulting 18BL, was a rugged and sturdy design with a 5.655 c.c. four-cylinder engine which developed 38 h.p. at 1.300 r.p.m. It had four speeds and reverse but final drive was by chains in enclosed casings.

Produced in hundreds from 1915-21, the Fiat 18BL was also used by the British and French in Italy as well as by the Italian Army. Top speed was 24 km. per hour. An improved model was also built, the Fiat 18BLR, which had smaller wheels, a longer body, and heavier springs. It was mechanically identical to the 18BL but slightly slower with a top speed of 21 km. per hour.

post-63666-0-71169700-1329530965.jpg