Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gilbert's War - 2/8th West Yorks (Leeds Rifles)

Gmanx

My grandfather Gilbert Myers fought in, and survived the Great War.

I'm a professional animator, and I hope to relate his story in a 20 minute short film to be made by 2014 - a century after hostilities began.

I've managed to find some of his war records, and have some personal mementos passed down through the family.

I've set up a website (which is just a blog for now) here: www.gilbertswar.co.uk.

This is a one-man show, hence the long lead-in time, but it's such a great story that I'm determined to get it out there.

My avatar was embroidered by him while he recovered from his wounds (and was then sent back to fight).

I now know a lot more about Gilbert's wartime experiences - thanks in no small part to the helpful folks here.

I'm looking at styles for the animated content, and, excuse the 'anime' look of the following, but if I can emulate the painterly look for Gilbert's War - I'll be a happy man.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear - the way the 3d elements are rendered is ALL that this will have in common with Gilbert's War. Definitely NO anime characters or fantasy content!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm figuring out how I'm going to shoot this... A combination of traditional drawn animation and CG. The CG is there mainly for 'hard-surface' elements like tanks, environments, buildings. Men (and possibly horses) will be hand drawn.

If I drew it all, I'd never get finished!

Anyway, I made a good start on a basic MarkIV - this one will be a low-detail background model.

I'm starting with this to get the workflow sorted, then I'll move on to more detailed work.

Bear in mind that I've just begun, and this is very much a work in progress at a very early stage - but I thought I'd share.

#Sorry for the big pic.#

MarkIV_PaintProgress.jpg

Gary

This looks to be a great project and I look forward to seeing more posts as your work progresses. Being a bit of a Ludite I know nothing of how computor generated images are created or even how to use the basic computor painting tools available. If the tank shown wasn't drawn is it a basic photograph tha'ts then enhanced and to get the 3D effect and do you then have to programme in all the dimensions? (seems very time consuming) Either way it's looking good.

I looked at the websight and had a listen to the toccata. Although it's not to my own taste I can see how it would compliment an image of armoured masses crashing forward and why you've picked it.

good luck and keep the posts cominng, ET

Thanks for the interest, Eric. :)

The tank is a 3d model which can be filmed with a 'virtual' camera - much as would be done in a video-game, or film, like Toy Story etc. I built it using plans, photos and videos of the real thing. I'll also have to model the environment, wire emplacements and trenches.

I'll combine that with traditionally drawn animation of troops in action. I've also secured some isolated footage of explosions, shell and bullet hits which I'll use to flesh out the scene.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a fascinating project Gary and one that i wish you the best of luck with.

If i can be of any assistance as regards the actions of the 2/8th West Yorks, please feel free to drop me a line.

My very best wishes.

Chris.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Chris, that's very gracious of you. Life and work have taken precedence of late, but I've started on Gilbert's character sheet - the first vital step in animation.

GilbertCharSheetTemp.jpg

I also found a 35mm slide (which I presumed lost) of me with Gilbert.

Me_Mum_and_Gilbert_SML.jpg

Given what I know now about Gilbert's history, his bravery and his compassion throughout his long life, this is now a very precious picture.

Here's a little test of the MarkIV posted earlier, moving. The model is about 50% there - there's no fascine, lewis guns or unditching beam yet - and a lot of paint detail to add/change. This is a mid-distance model, so won't be super-detailed. I appreciate that it's going about twice as fast as it ever would in real life.

[media=]

[/media]

This is really to check on the visual style of the animation, which is on the right track (pun intended).

I've begun work on the 3d maquette I'll use to rough out the animation, using the resulting video clips to produce the 2d animation. This maquette will also be used when finished for background characters or for crowd scenes.

Maquette_250712.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work carries on apace. I've just won an award for a short film I directed - so I'm even more fuelled to get Gilbert's War out there. I've been getting on with testing, and I'm ready to start compiling scenes together, with audio, music and video.

Here I'm doing some lighting tests. Gilbert walks!

Please watch full-screen and in HD for the best viewing experience!

[media=]

[/media]

I have a wonderful update on the blog - "Following on from a suggestion by an ex tank commander (of both Chieftan and Challenger main battle tanks) I asked Bovington Tank Museum if they had any audio of their Mark IV, and they're sending me a recording this weekend. So, Gilbert's War will feature absolutely authentic tank sounds!"

I can't wait to get some tank scenes worked through with the proper audio!

• 2 weeks later...

Just recently I won a short film award. It was my first live action shoot as director - and I'm really pleased with how it went.

I'm third from left (stripey shirt).

3028921304.jpg

Full story is here: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/lifestyle/manx-entertainment-news/success-for-new-film-fest-1-4970063

That was a real boost as work continues on Gilbert's War. It can get very lonely sat here toiling away - but the end result will be worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

I just uploaded a video of the 2d drawn element of a scene where Gilbert is lying wounded in a shell crater:

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a good lot done this weekend. Weekday evenings I only get an hour or so, what with family etc.

The trailer's looking really good - I'll be so pleased to finally get it out there, so people have something tangible to see and react to. Then I can get started on the meat of the thing. Can't wait. :)

I've come a long way since starting this, an awful lot of progress has been made and I'm really happy with how it's coming together. I've just been interviewed for the local newspaper - which I'll put on here as soon as it goes online.

The (1 minute long) trailer is virtually done - just a few tweaks now. Then the real work starts. The few people who've already seen it have given me a very positive response which makes it all worthwhile. So, roll on Sunday!

For those on here who've offered advice and guidance - thankyou, sincerely. You'll all appear in the credits of the final thing in 2014. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions between now and then though.. :)

EDIT: Here's the news article - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/animator-to-release-ww1-film-gilbert-s-war-1-5113781

The trailer is online now and available:

on Youtube:

or Vimeo:

The full, 20 minute film will be completed for August 2014.

• 3 months later...

There are a couple of new blog posts up at www.gilbertswar.co.uk.

I've asked (in Gilbert's thread in the soldiers section) if anyone here could help with a couple of questions I have about the battle at Cambrai: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=176094&st=25#entry1871068

• 6 years later...

Good Evening, Richard, and welcome to the forum. Gmanx has not visited us since June 12, 2013, but I've sent him a private message that may or may not reach him.

Usually we advise against email addresses being included in a post because of the risk of their being harvested by spammers.

And it may be that other GWF members may dig around and come up with an answer - or two. In such cases it helps if they know what the others are doing to save duplication of effort.

Moonraker

11 hours ago, Leeds Loiner said:

Good evening.

I am trying to establish whether the same Gilbert Myers you are researching appeared on the 1939 Census living at 1 Morris Row, Leeds. If you could confirm this it would be appreciated.

My email address is richard_gatecliffe@me.com

Kind regards

Richard

Hello Richard, and thank you for the notification Moonraker.

I'm still around and will eventually do something with the info I gathered on Gilbert but sadly couldn't secure funding to proceed with my animated short film.

Richard, yes, I can confirm that you have the correct Gilbert Myers. I have a lot of info about the Leeds rifles, which regiment they served with,where they were posted etc. I'll email you to get the ball rolling.