Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of the Lys

Paul Reed

A French First World War Society (A.R.H.A.M.) in conjunction with the village of Saint-Venant is organising an exhibition to commemorate the 85th Anniversary of the Battle of the Lys. Entitled 'The Battle of the Lys 1918 - or the history of a Forgotten Battle', it will run in the Salle Birgy at Saint-Venant from 9th-13th April and will be open from 09.00-17.00 every day. Entrance is free.

I have no contact details for the exhibition or the society, which is a new one on me.

Saint Venant isn't that far from Ypres (less than an hour), so perhaps some of the forum dinner guests might think about a visit? I will be popping in on the way up from the Somme, so will be able to give those interested a report on the Saturday evening.

Paul and Chris

I would very much like to have attended the Exposition, but am tied up for the whole period. I'm extremely interested in the Lys (as it will be the subject of my MA thesis), and would be very grateful for a description of the exhibition, and information of any publications on the Lys recently produced.

(French language OK with a mod. languages teacher in the family!!!)

I'll see what I can pick up for you. If there are any books for sale I shall probably buy them and will be happy to copy material for you. I expect I will also do some digi images for a report on my website as well.

Hi, information about Exhibition "Battle of Lys April 1918". I am the webmaster of the french web site ARHAM http://monsite.wanadoo.fr/arham . The exhibition is about the Battle of Lys in April 1918 near MERVILLE LA GORGUE FESTUBERT LA BASSEE ST VENANT ROBECQ LYS CANAL and many others towns...a lot of rare pictures from Germany and England and maps. Free entrance ST VENANT (9-13 april 2003)is a little town between BETHUNE AND HAZEBROUCK, 70kms from Calais...more in formation laurentsoyer@yahoo.fr . Thank you.

hi, i am the vice president or French association ARHAM, the exhibition of "Battle of the Lys 1918" is in ST VENANT 40mns from YPRES and 70kms from Calais, near Bethune and Hazebrouck...free entrance.

Went along to this excellent exhibition and met Laurent and his friends... they are all a very keen bunch and had done a super job with their display. It included a lot of material from Portuguese sources for the Portuguese troops which I had previously not seen. They have also produced some first class books about their sector of the battlefields - all in French, of course, but worth it for the maps and photos alone. You can order them from their website mentioned by Laurent above.

expo01.JPG

Laurent (left) with his friends of the ARHAM at the Lys Exhibition

As Paul wrote the exhibition was excellently organised with lots of photographs which I at least hadn’t seen before.

On the down side: only photographs and photographing was prohibited. For me photographing is the major part of the interest, so I always deduct 2 points for museums etc. where this is not allowed....

Regards,

Marco