Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Squadron RFC / RAF

kmh2012

Sadsac

Anthony Rex Arnold was a pilot in the Royal Naval Air Service and was therefore not a member of No 12 Squadron RFC/RAF; he won the DSC while commanding No 8 Squadron RNAS, with which unit he claimed five victories. He later commanded No 79 Sqn RAF, gaining the DFC and Belgian Croix de Guerre (along with a Mention in Despatches).

Graeme

Graeme.

I think that, from the award he must have been `attached' to 12 Squadron at some time, or could it be that there was an 12 Squadron RNAS ??

Once again you have had to correct me, and thanks for doing so - all adds to my little knowledge.

Sadsac

Sadsac

The RNAS eventually had squadrons numbered 1 to 17. No 12 Squadron RNAS was formed on 8 June 1917 as a training squadron and disbanded on 1 April 1918. A R Arnold claimed five victories with No 8 Squadron RNAS between 8 April and 13 June 1917 [correcting my earlier post, he did not command this squadron]. As an acting Squadron Commander he commanded No 12 Squadron RNAS from 15 September 1917 until early 1918; he was promoted to Squadron Commander on 31 December 1917 and subsequently commanded No 79 Squadron RAF.

Graeme

• 4 years later...
On 14/01/2014 at 22:43, annmacnamara said:

Sorry, just scrolled down the page and found two more responses that I hadn't spotted, thanks to you both, I am an novice in this and very grateful for any help

Ann

Dear Ann

My great uncle was Arthur, I have a copy of his death letter, if you would like it?

Andrew Ladell

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/03/2014 at 17:06, kmh2012 said:

Hi Ann

I like to know more about the Macnamara and Jonsson.

I have been working on the story of Lt H Jonsson MC which was observer in RE8 B7888 of No 12 Sqn RAF which was flaying whit your great grand uncle Macnamara . I like to know do you have some more information about their work like photo of them and so on. And and also I did like to know something more about Lt Arthur William Macnamara.

FB_IMG_1509194535432.jpg

FB_IMG_1509194539841.jpg

On 14/01/2014 at 21:37, annmacnamara said:

Thank you Graeme, it is fascinating to have the wording of the citation. Do you know how I would get access to his army service records?
I would be happy to visit at The National Archives at
Kew but I don't know if they would have them there or whether I would be allowed to view them.

Thanks again

Ann

FB_IMG_1509194535432.jpg

FB_IMG_1509194539841.jpg