Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B&B in Ginchy

Fred van Woerkom

BED AND BREAKFAST IN THE SOMME AREA

There is a very nice B&B in Ginchy, cenbtrally situated in the triangle Albert-Péronne-Bapaume.The B&B, part of what used to be a farm is exceptionally quiet.

Roger and Odile are a charming elderly couple, but speak very little English.

The rooms are en suite and breakfast is OK. Odile is a good cook if you ask her to prepare dinner.

Full details: L'Hermitage, Odile and Roger Samain, 1, Grande Rue, 80360 Ginchy,

tel 03 22 25 02 24; fax: 03.22.25.11.60.

All the best!

Fred

Hi Fred

I stayed there way back in 1997 and had a good stay even though my French is very limited.

Glad to hear that they are still operating.

Cheers

Andrew

Can also recommend it; the people are very friendly and rooms nice and well kept.

It was up for sale for a while, and not sure whether it still is?

Hi Paul,

One of my guests is a regular guest of Odile and Roger. According to him, the farmhouse (with outbuildings) is on the market and has been for the last 3 years. They have bought a house at Erqy (Brittany) and are desirous to move there (Roger is 73 - Odile somewhat younger). They are continuing to accept bookings until such times as they can sell up and move.

I must add that my guest speaks in very high terms of that family where he is being welcomed as a member of the family.

best wishes,

Charlotte ( pleased to be able to say something again!) :)

Paul,

When I was there in June, I did not notice any FOR SALE signs.

In addition to the rooms and the cooking: there are informative leaflets everywhere for tourists.

It is so quiet that you can hear the leaves rustling.

A friend of mine, used to city life, was enchanted by this aspect.

All the best,

Fred

Stayed there a few weekends ago, very much at the last minute, as most of the usual haunts were fully booked or even closed for the summer holidays! It is a really charming, typically French B & B. The lady owner did her very best to ensure we were as comfortable as possible. It worked out to be about £15 per head with a filling breakfast to start the day. Would certainly revisit.

Guest Klaas van der Linde

I have visited this address for more than 10 years. Also with Fred van Woerkom. We try to come back on a yearly base.

Odile and Roger are extremely friendly. Rooms are clean and comfortable.

It 's always a pleasure to stay there.

I can recommend this address to anyone who visits the Somme area.

One of my fans drew my attention to this address in Ginchy.

I have spent some time here, in this historic area, when I was off duty.

To capture it in a few words. Highly recommended.

Yours faithfully,

Cliff

P.S. For personal reasons I would like to have my privacy respected.

<span style='color:blue'>Sir Cliff, we presume you were on your summer holidays. Where did you park the bus?</span>

Edited by Sir Cliff

WRONG NUMBERS

My apologies to all: the telephone number is 03 22 85 02.24 and the fax number is 03 22 85 11 60.

Sorry,

Fred

Sorry chaps, must be my failing eyesight!

I'm going there on Monday and , of course, I will give Bapaume a miss (see 'Albert After Hours') and give my wife a taste of Somme country life and cooking.

I may have got the numbers wrong, but the address is the same. Hope to meet Sir Cliff again, with or without his Shadows.

Off to France!

Fred

Hi Fred; remember to check out the thread about the Albert-Bapaume road. It is closed at the moment, and traffic movements on the minor roads are 'difficult' as a consequence.

Remember also Sunday/Monday is a 'jour de fetes' (Bank Holiday) and that a lot will be closed, and local restaurants booked up in advance.

Thanks, Paul. I didn't know they had 'bank holidays' in France. I knew they had 'jours de fête' . Remember Jacques Tati's great 1947 film?

I shall take the 'low' road: Bapaume-Ligny-Longueval-Ginchy and watch out for the cars with a '75'number! Parisians are regarded by most French people as slightly mad and very aggressive drivers. Thanks again!

Regards,

Fred