Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking permission to acquire images from museums

depaor01

Good day all,

I'm putting this in the Ireland section as it pertains to Irish museums and their holdings of 1916 Rising items.

Without going into too much detail for the moment, I worked on a volunteer basis for a library (not-for-profit) for nine months, after which they asked me to stay on for three months, on a paid basis, to assemble a "Virtual Museum" of photos and scans of weapons, handbills, posters and photos relating to the Rebellion.

To this end I have been contacting organisations holding such items, with varying degrees of success. Many places have agreed to allow the digital acquisition of items. Some more have agreed and withdrawn subsequently, and more again flatly refused - this despite the promise to fully attribute the items, and the fact that there is a blanket copyright warning on the site regarding reproduction rights.

The reason for posting here is not to query as to why the reactions to the requests varied so much, but to ask if anyone on the forum who has had to seek items regarding 1916 Ireland has been able to locate organisations willing to allow scanning and/or photographing of items for public viewing, and share the names of the organisation with me? Indeed if anyone on the forum has any relevant items to offer in the form of High Resolution scans or photos I'd gratefully accept and acknowledge on the library site.

I'm happy to deal with any specifics by PM if preferred.

Many thanks,

Dave

not too up on museum loans I'm afraid. Caroline Carr at Donegal Museum had some WW1 material on loan to various libraries and had a DVD made that included some Easter Rising material.

Not quite what you want but possibly of interest :

http://irishvolunteers.org/2012/01/irish-war-of-independence-exhibition-display-lecture/

http://www.facebook.com/groups/irishvolunteers/