Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Scott Sloan, Monkseaton soldier

high wood

I have a photograph of a soldier in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) that I believe from circumstantial evidence to be 202852 Pte Walter Scott Sloan of the 2nd battalion Cameronians. Walter Scott Sloan was born in Heaton, Newcastle, enlisted in Whitley Bay and resided in Monkseaton. SDGW says that he died in France and Flanders on 12th October 1917. I would like to know if a photograph exists of him in a local newspaper or a local roll of honour so that I can compare the photograph with mine and make a positive identification. There is a complication in that there is a Berwick on Tweed connection and his photograph may appear in a newspaper there or Whitley Bay. Any help would be much appreciated.

SLOAN, WALTER SCOTT

Service No:202852

Date of Death:12/10/1917

Regiment/Service:Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

2nd Bn.

Grave ReferenceIII. E. 102.

CemeteryBAILLEUL COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION (NORD)

Additional Information:

Son of Anthony and Jean Sloan; husband of Helen Sloan, of 11, Castlegate, Berwick-on-Tweed.

Can't help you with a photo, but he is mentioned on the Berwick-on-Tweed Angel Statue, as W.S. Sloan, so may be mentioned in a local paper there.

Regards,

Alf McM

• 3 years later...

post-115192-0-52256700-1435010628_thumb.

Hello, I know it's a while since you posted but if it's of any help, here's a photo from the Whitley Seaside Chronicle of 20 October 1917.

I'm researching him for our local WW1 commemoration project and am happy to share what info I have. If it is the same man and your photo is good quality I'd love a copy.

MC

MC,

yes, that is him. I would appear to have the original photograph that appeared in the paper. If you send me your email address by personal message I will send you a high resolution copy.

Many thanks,

Simon.