Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guards

Ali Hollington

Have been given this photo of what is mean to be a distant relative on my grandmothers side. Any clues from his unifrom etc would be gratefully received.

Ali

PS apologies if the pic isn't right, first attempt!

post-1-1091448877.jpg

Hello Ali

This chap is wearing the 1914 Star ribbon on his tunic together with two good conduct stips, two wound stripes and a set of overseas chevrons.

Do you have any further information on him? What does the writing say in the bottom right hand corner? If I had a surname to go on, I should be able to provide you with further information on his service from my database.

Rgds

Ed

Hi,

Not sure about the writing, the first word could be Romney and the bottom word could be Southend, I'm guessing on this as it isn't much clearer on the original. I now live in Southend and my family has connections going back to about the right time.

As to a name its likely his surname is Pike but I'm going back through birth and marriage certificates as he is meant to be my grandma's uncle but on her mum's side, so as you can appreciate a few name changes have occured.

Ali

Hi Ali

Thanks for the info. I'll check this out when I get home this evening. One other thing, I expect that the picture was taken 1918/19.

Rgds

Ed

Hello Ali

I've found the following on my database:

Pte. 14973 F. PIKE, 2nd Battalion.

Enlisted end of November, 1910. To France with 2nd Bn. on 13 August 1914.

Entitled to 1914 Trio (not issued to him until December 1938). No further information; by all accounts he survived the war.

There are certainly no other Pikes who were issued with a 1914 Star. I turned up half a dozen other soldiers but none of these proved a good match to the chap in the photograph.

If you are fairly certain that this is your man, I would recommend contacting the Grenadier Guards Archivist at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London for a copy of his service papers.

Hope this helps

Ed

Cheers Ed that is excellent, at the moment I'm working off information from the family that his name is Pike and therefore he would appear to be our man. I'm in the process of checking this but the info you have given me is superb, thanks for your time and effort.

Ali