Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

FREE Guidebooks

4thGordons

EDIT: I have added those additional titles provided by Dave and Gwyn several I could only find in French (marked *)

Attached downloadable pdf with active links included.

I assume most members know about these but I collected them together for my own use (downoaded prior to my forthcoming trip) and thought they may be useful to others also.

Most of the Michelin Battlefield Guides are available on Archive.Org in a number of formats - many now available in Kindle and .pdf format which is how (as an experiment) I will be taking them. They are certainly dated (1919/20) but I find them useful (although not perhaps sufficient)

Michelin Marne

MARNE

Michelin Yser and Belgian Coast

YSER

Michelin Ypres

YPRES

Michelin Arras

ARRAS

Michelin Somme

SOMME vol 1

SOMME vol 2

Michelin Cambrai

CAMBRAI

Michelin Rheims

RHEIMS

Michelin Soissons

SOISSONS

Michelin Amiens

AMIENS

Michelin Alsace and Vosges

ALSACE and VOSGES vol1*

ALSACE and VOSGES vol2*

Michelin Verdun

VERDUN

VERDUN-ARGONNEE-METZ*

Michelin Metz and Morhange

METZ and MORHANGE*

Michelin Americans in the Great War

AMERICANS

Vol 1 VOLUME 1

Vol 2 VOLUME 2

Vol 3 VOLUME 3

Michelin Strasbourg

STRASBOURG

Chris

Michelin guides.pdf

Chris

Thanks for the links, very useful.

Usual transcription errors and some are pretty unintelligible but doesn't detract too much from the reading.

Regards

John

Edited by John S

If anyone is visiting the Arras area, then the Micheline guide is particularly useful when touring theVimy Ridge, Cabaret Rouge and Souchez areas. The old photos are excllent.

Bob

Thanks for the links. To edit the title just go to the edit button in your first post then select 'use full editor' and the title will be available for editing

Just to add to the above list ... also available (haven't got the link, but a search on Archive .org should find them no problem) for free download are:

SOMME Vol.1

ALSACE & THE VOSGES Vol.1

ALSACE & THE VOSGES Vol.2

AMIENS

SOISSONS

METZ AND THE BATTLE OF MORHANGE

There is also a slightly different, enlarged, Verdun edition:

VERDUN, ARGONNE - METZ

Dave.

A good find. Lots of pictures that give a real feel for the period after the war and before any rebuilding had taken place.

Thanks for the link, excellent I didn't know of these maps. Graham

Chris, just browsed the Somme 1916 - the photos and maps are fascinating and the account of the battle most interesting. Thanks for posting

ALSACE & THE VOSGES Vol.1

ALSACE & THE VOSGES Vol.2

And volumes on Colmar and on Strasbourg... All of these are in French.

I scanned my own copies a while ago and I take them with me on CD rather than risking the originals.

Gwyn

Michelin have just started producing updated guides as it were, which I haven't seen yet but apparently are on a 'then and now' basis, with suggested tours of the battlefields and some commentary. In French only

for the moment, with the first two covering Verdun, and Champagne and the Marne.

this should give a link.

cheers Martin B

I have edited the list to add those suggested by Dave and Gwyn

Thread Title changed (thanks Bardess)

I am attaching the list (with active links) as a pdf so it can be downloaded.

Should people discover others I will add them and update.

Cheers,

Chris

Michelin guides.pdf

Should anyone need to see "Colmar - Mulhouse - Schlestadt" [sic. Sélestat] 1920 battlefield guide I would be willing to put it on CD, given time. Like the Strasbourg guide, it's in French.

It's interesting that some updated guides are being produced, Martin. A little information about the historic Guides Illustrés Michelin des Champs de Bataille (1914 - 1918) is here.

Gwyn

I have moved this thread to the "Virtual Library" section in the Documents sub-forum.

Keith

Hi

I have just had a look at the one for YPRES but there appears to be no illustrations.

I chose to read online, am I doing something wrong?

Other volumes are OK.

Dental

Hi

I have just had a look at the one for YPRES but there appears to be no illustrations.

I chose to read online, am I doing something wrong?

Other volumes are OK.

Dental

Hmmm bit weird that - same for me! However if you choose the pdf you are redirected to Google books - and there you can click ebook and read online and the illustrations are there. They are also there if you download the .pdf or kindle version (although as noted quite a lot of text errors in the kindle version)

Not sure if this will work but HERE is a link to the google reader copy with images

Chris

Hmmm bit weird that - same for me! However if you choose the pdf you are redirected to Google books - and there you can click ebook and read online and the illustrations are there. They are also there if you download the .pdf or kindle version (although as noted quite a lot of text errors in the kindle version)

Not sure if this will work but HERE is a link to the google reader copy with images

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for that I have got it now

Dental

Couldn't make the suggestions for Ypres work for me but downloaded it in full with illustrations here:

http://ia600303.us.archive.org/13/items/ypresandbattles00unkngoog/ypresandbattles00unkngoog.pdf

Thanks for posting these.

Hi

I found that if the pdf file shows the Google link, clicking on the 'All files HTML' further down the panel gives a list of the files and then you just download the pdf version.

Jim

Hi

One of you technical types will have to advise me on this.

I like to support the Forum by purchasing books via the link, however when I go there (since Xmas have a Kindle) I find the message "Kindle Books for your Country (NZ) have to be purchased via amazon.com" - so not via the link which takes me to Amazon UK.

Still want to support the Forum but I do like my Kindle, so space efficient when I am travelling at lot.

Is there a practical way to get around this?

James