Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Août 1914

Annie

On this day at around 0600 German troops started to pour across the Luxembourg border in the first westward movement of the German army (the customs posts reported to the capital).

The first troops got to the vicinity of the city at around 0730. An unarmed Luxembourg Gendarme officer (in fact, the officer commanding the Gendarmerie) got on his bicycle and went to meet them to find out what they were doing (Luxembourg being neutral). The Germans took one look and disappeared back up the road (what on earth took the rest of you 4 years?).

At around 0800 an armoured train drew into the main railway station carrying the first troops to occupy the country.

Interestingly, all the troops coming by both road and rail had been briefed that impeccable intelligence sources said that the country had been taken over by the French army. They expected to be in action within minutes of crossing the frontier.

Every account of the german advance has them asking locals, 'where are the French. We know they are here'.

Does this sound familiar?

“On August 2nd Enver [Turkish Minister of War] and Wangenheim [the German Ambassador to the Ottoman Empire] signed a secret treaty exclusively directed against Russia….”

(Robert Rhodes James, ‘Gallipoli’)

On the morning of 2nd August, twenty-four hours before the Turkish flag was due to be hoisted on the battleship Sultan Osman I, completing in the shipyard of Armstrong Whitworth at Newcastle, a company of Sherwood Foresters with fixed bayonets marched through the dockyard and onto the ship. Within half an hour the few Turkish officers and technicians already aboard had been removed.

The Sultan Osman I and another Turkish battleship the Reshadieh, being completed by Vickers at Barrow were requisitioned for the Royal Navy. They were soon commissioned as HMS Agincourt and HMS Erin, and joined the Grand Fleet at Scapa Flow.

IIRC no compensation was ever paid to the Turkish government for these ships.

Sir F. Villiers to Sir Edward Grey.

Brussels, August 2, 1914.

D.:10 50 A.M.

Tel. (No. 9.)

R. 11:45 A.M.

Belgian Government have official confirmation of news that a German force entered Grand Duchy of Luxemburg.

Consul Le Gallais to Sir Edward Grey.

Luxemburg, August 2, 1914.

Tel. En clair.

R. August 2.

German troops have entered south of Grand Duchy. Armed train arrived station of Luxemburg.

August 2, 1914.

(35552) No. 471.

Communication from German Embassy.

Herr von Schubert called to communicate the annexed telegram(1) from his Government which he was directed to request should be brought to the notice of Sir Edward Grey at once.

I translate:

"This morning 80 French officers in Prussian uniform attempted to cross the German frontier in 12 motor cars at Walbeck, west of Geldern. This constituted the most serious violation of neutrality on the part of France."

(Geldern is near the Dutch-German frontier, some way north of Venloo over 200 kilom. distant from the northernmost point of the Franco-German frontier).

I asked Herr von Schubert in a bantering way whether he meant me to take this statement seriously. The reference to breach of neutrality sounded to me like a joke, in view of the invasion of French territory by the German forces without a declaration of war.

He indignantly declared that the matter was most serious, as the statement emanated from his Government itself.

Communication from German Embassy. (Received August 2, 1914.)

Kaiserlich Deutsche Botschaft in London.

(Undated.)

Translation.

The Imperial Government was compelled to take military measures in Luxemburg for the protection of the railways situated in that country, which by international agreement are under German control and German administration, against a threatened attack by the French. This step does not imply any hostile action against Luxemburg; full compensation for eventual damage has been promised.

Sir F. Villiers to Sir Edward Grey.

Brussels, August 2, 1914.

D. 12 15 P.M.

Tel. (No. 10.)

R. 1:25 P.M.

Minister for Foreign Affairs states that Belgian Government have no reason whatever to suspect Germany of an intention to violate neutrality. He says that Belgian Government have not considered idea of appeal to other guarantee Powers, nor of intervention should a violation occur; they would rely upon their own armed force as sufficient to resist aggression, from whatever quarter it might come.

MINUTE .

It is impossible for the German troops to get out of Luxemburg without crossing Belgian territory except through a narrow bottle-neck into France. G. R. C. August 2, 1914.

Sir F. Bertie to Sir Edward Grey.

Paris, August 2, 1914.

D. 1:45 P.M.

Tel. (No. 118.)

R. 3:45 P.M.

Military attaché reports following War Office news:

"German situation. Movements of large bodies of troops still continue. All telegraphic, telephonic and railway communications between neighbouring countries cut excepting those to Austria. Some troops crossed Luxemburg frontier at 6 A.M. to-day. Some Uhlans have held up a customs post near St. Die. Some shots reported near Belfort. Will telegraph this afternoon positions of German and French troops in detail. "

Sir Edward Grey to Sir F. Bertie.

Foreign Office, August 2, 1914.

Tel. (No. 303.)

D. 4:45 P.M.

After the Cabinet this morning I gave M. Cambon the following aide-mémoire:

"I am authorised to give an assurance that if the German fleet comes into the Channel or through the North Sea to undertake hostile operations against French coasts or shipping the British fleet will give all the protection in its power.

"This assurance is of course subject to the policy of Hi Majesty's Government receiving the support of Parliament and must not be taken as binding His Majesty's Government to take any action until the above contingency of action by the German fleet takes place."

I pointed out that we had very large questions and most difficult issues to consider, and that the Government felt that they could not bind themselves to declare war upon Germany necessarily, if war broke out between France and Germany to-morrow, but it was essential to the French Government, whose fleet had long been concentrated in the Mediterranean, to know how to make their dispositions with their north coast entirely undefended. We therefore thought it necessary to give them this assurance. It did not bind us to go to war with Germany unless the German fleet took the action indicated, but it did give a security to France that would enable her to settle the disposition of her own Mediterranean fleet.

M. Cambon asked me about the violation of Luxemburg. I told him the doctrine on that point laid down by Lord Derby and Lord Clarendon in 1867. He asked me what we should say about the violation of the neutrality of Belgium. I said that was a much more important matter; we were considering what statement we should make in Parliament to-morrow, in effect whether we should declare violation of Belgium neutrality to be a casus belli. I told him what had been said to the German Ambassador on this point. I also explained how at the beginning of a great catastrophe such as this European war, of which no one could foresee the consequences where we had such enormous responsibilities in our Empire, as in India, or as regards countries in our occupation such as Egypt, when even the conditions of naval warfare and the possibility of protecting our coast under these conditions were untried, it was impossible safely to send our military force out of the country.

M. Cambon asked whether this meant that we should never do it.

I replied that it dealt only with the present moment. He dwelt upon the moral effect of our sending only two divisions. But I said that to send so small a force as two or even four divisions abroad at the beginning of a war would entail the maximum of risk to them and produce the minimum of effect.

Sir C. Greene to Sir Edward Grey.

Tokyo, August 2, 1914.

D. 7:20 P.M.

Tel. (No. 57.)

R. 7:15 P.M.

Russian Ambassador has received instructions to see the Minister for Foreign Affairs and enquire as to the probable attitude of Imperial Government and as to the views of Japanese politicians in the event of Russia being involved in war.

Japanese vernacular papers are now discussing the possibility of Japan being invited to support her ally in defence of her interests in the Far East. The view generally taken seems to be that Japan will gladly accept responsibility.

Chris

Could I just point out that although Germany promised to pay compensation to Luxembourg, none was ever paid (despite a clause in the Treaty of versailles).

Equally, the reply from Grey to the Luxembourg appeals for help was illuminating. It took 24 hours to compose:

"The two telegrams which you have sent me and the serious matters to which they allude will receive the most earnest attention of His Majesty's government."

Put in the vernacular '........... off'

"It was very obvious when it came to about the second of August 1914 that we were going to war. I worked for three days, day and night, to put my stuff in order and then when war was declared I went down to try and join up but the infantry was already filled, but they said the Mounted Rifles wanted people. I walked along to the Mounted Rifles.

"Have you any vacancies for enlistment?"

"Yes", he said "Have you got a horse?".

Just then a man said, "By the way, can I bring in both my horses?"

"No." I said "you are selling me one."

I went out to Devonport on the Ferry and picked up the horse. I rode it back out to Mt Eden. The next morning I was in camp at Potter's Paddock.

Later on I swopped with a friend of mine who wanted to get into the Mounted Rifles. I wanted to to get into the Infantry as I didn't think the Mounted Rifles would fight in Europe. Why did I join? I was an idealist."

12/1005 S Seddon, Auckland Infantry, NZEF

The St Helens Territorials (infantry) leave for summer camp:

Unaware of the details of the brewing crisis, the 1/5 bn South Lancs Regiment leave St Helens to head north, under the command of Colonel L.E. Pilkington. After marching from the Volunteer Hall to the Central Station, watched by the traditional crowds, the troops boarded 2 special trains bound for Hornby. They arrive in the early hours of Monday morning.