Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Crossing of the Rufiji River, German East Africa

bushfighter

May I direct any Member interested in the Great War East Africa campaign to this link:

http://www.archive.org/details/blackwoodsmagazi203edinuoft

then please read the first article At the River's Brink by Batouri.

You may then want to relate it to a description of the crossing here:

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-on-land/other-war-theatres/2086-fighting-for-the-rufiji-river-crossing-the-british-1st-east-african-brigade-in-action-german-east-africa-1-to-19-january-1917.html

The units involved are easily recognisable, and there is interesting mention of the only white unit involved and of engineering difficulties and the transport situation.

Batouri was in fact Lieutenant Colonel R.M. McClintock DSO, Royal Engineers, and doubtless he was the Sapper in the article.

(Reference footnote 4 on page 499 of Lt Col E.W. Sandes' The Military Engineer in India.)

Robert Lyle McClintock was awarded his DSO in the London Gazette of 19 April 1901 for service in the South African War.

He received a CMG for services in East Africa in the London Gazette of 7 February 1919, page 1941.

Harry

Aside from the similarities of incidents and facts what stands out to me is the vibrancy and colour of the first-hand account in comparison to the concise facts of the latter (and here no detriment is intended).

Hippo's, Crocs (muggers) Panthers and Pathans, Sihks and much bygone language made for a 'Ripping Yarn' meets 'Dad's Army' (particularly the episode of the General's Horse) chronicle by way of the African Queen. But stowing away my more romantic ramblings, were they not just the most resourceful and tenacious of men ?

Riveting stuff and many thanks for the posting.

Suddery

• 4 months later...

Paul

Thank you very much for the very interesting photos - have you any more of the campaign (or the previous Cameroons campaign)?

Harry

Hi Harry,

Sadly not ! I think these survived because my wife's grandfather was wounded a few weeks later (at Mkindu on the 18th January), and was sent off to the hospital ship (together with camera) and the to Cape Town to recover !

- Paul