Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Q.M.A.A.C books

bonlives

G'day members,

I have a strong interest in the women of Q.M.A.A.C and the corps as a whole and I was just wondering if any members know of any good books about the corps or any personal accounts of time served with the corps. I have read Service with the army by Dame Helen Gwynne-Vaughan and found it most informative.

Any help would be most appreciated

Regards

Tim

Service with the Army is probably the best general account of the origin and set up of the QMAAC.

A Short History of Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps by Col. JM Cowper is also good, if only about 80 pages, and was published by the Old Comrades Assn. on 1967 to mark the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Corps.

Eve in Khaki by EM Barton and M Cody is partly a publicity piece, but does contain some history and some personal experiences.

A Heroine in her Time by Molly Izzard is basically a biography of Dame Helen G-V.

Apart from that, very little has been written, and even less on the Womens' Legion, QMAAC's predecessor.

NGG

G'day NGG,

Thanks very much for your reply. I will keep an eye out for those books as they sound quite interesting especially the one by Col JM Cowper. Thanks again

Regards

Tim

• 8 years later...
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2012 at 10:59, bonlives said:

. I have read Service with the army by Dame Helen Gwynne-Vaughan and found it most informative.

recycling another thread for a question… this book seems to be very hard to find.

Does anybody know if it has been reprinted at a certain point?? or if it's possible to have it on "print on demand"?? Leopold Classic reprinted her work on fungi, but not, so it seems, on her war experience, and that is quite a shame…

thanks,

M.

Since my reply of February 2012, a detailed history of the QMAAC has been published.  "The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps in France" by Samantha Philo-Gill.  Published by Pen and Sword in 2017.  Worth acquiring for those with an interest . 

Norman 

This is a fine first-hand account.

3EECF144-34BC-4DEA-AC3E-9DDBD2CF927F.jpeg.ddafb9e583bc1792034e63630681266c.jpeg

they are indeed both very interesting books… I have the one of Mrs Philo-Gill of course and have read excerpts of Agnes Anderson's book, but that does not bring me any way nearer to Dr Gwynne-Vaughan's book…

M.

On 16/06/2020 at 13:24, Marilyne said:

but that does not bring me any way nearer to Dr Gwynne-Vaughan's book…

There's some second hand copies available for about 20 quid e.g. https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30228938977&searchurl=an%3DDame%2BHelen%2BGwynne-Vaughan%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title3