Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowbrick gets the chop & receives 2nd wound stripe

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

In the Bowbrick household there has been much talk, recently, about cut backs. But Mrs B took this conversation one step too far, after she took an axe to his leg. :o

It sounds like something that only happens in the pages of certain tabloid newspapers. But in a freak accident, while supervising his wife (who was cutting firewood), Ian Bowbrick has ended up with a chopper down to his ankle.

This is Ian’s second wound stripe – others may remember that he recently ended up with a bayonet in his other foot. Yes, really.

Seriously, for a moment, I understand that Ian is still 8 feet 2 inches, and is in no danger of being a short-a**e like the rest of us. He is enjoying a few days off with his feet (foot?) up. The doctors say he'll just have one more (large) scar to add to the collection.

Mrs B has been banned from carrying anything sharp, and has agreed to cut her nails with rubber scissors for the next six months. :lol:

I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing Ian a speedy recovery, following this unfortunate accident.

Didn't Kathy Bates do something similar with a sledgehammer to James Caan in the film of Stephen King's Misery to stop him leaving the house once he'd recovered from his car accident? The parallels here just too spooky. Methinks perhaps Major-General Bowbrick's been on one too many trips to Kew recently.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ian.

Gary

If he was a private instead of a brass-hat he'd be shot for a self-inflicted wound.

I think the Browbrick house should get some crayons and remove all sharp instruments from the house.

Get well soon Ian.

(Mind you, small axes were very useful in trench raids. :ph34r: )

Aye

Malcolm

Any old excuse to avoid letting me buy the MGC shoulder titles that he got for me for a living history event this weekend :lol: !

Seriously though, get well soon! Any chance of getting more details re: bayonet Vs foot injury?

Get well soon Ian

[indeed, truth is stranger than fiction]

Regards

Michael D.R.

Ian is stranger than fiction ;)

The old "My wife hit me with an axe" excuse aye... umm.! <_<

Get well soon Ian :)

Ouch :blink:

Problem is, things usually happen in 3's; bayonet, axe, ... whats next? (Answers on a postcard please ... )

Just BE BL**DY CAREFUL PLEASE?! Hope it heals soon Ian.

Steve

Ian - I sympathise with your chopper problem.  Get well soon.

Jon

I thought he was hit in the lower leg ... unless? :o

Ian

I'll see whether I can find an old bottle of Number Nine pills to aid your recovery.

Richard

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Thank you to everyoine for their concern :)

The one advantage has been that I have been waited on hand and foot. The sight of my wife rushing to get me a cold beer from the fridge on Sunday afternoon while I was watching the cricket was brilliant. Unfortunately I am sure it will wear off soon. But I am sure this ankle will be hurting for quite sometime yet ;)

Ian

Dear Ian,

I hope you will show your scars if and when we can meet in September! Did you tie your wife to a waggon wheel for an hour at a time????

Looking forward to meeting you soon!

Cynthia

Did you tie your wife to a waggon wheel for an hour at a time????

Wagonwheels have shrunk so much in size since I was a child that there's now barely a mouthful let alone enough to tie anyone to! :lol:

Gary

Stay away from chain saws Ian!!!! ;)

Get well and be carefull!

:o

Ian,

Get well soon!

Your wife's name isn't Lizzie Borden by any chance? ;)

cheers Shelley

Guest Ian Bowbrick
:o

Ian,

Get well soon!

Your wife's name isn't Lizzie Borden by any chance? ;)

cheers Shelley

Shelley,

As in:

Lizzie Borden took an axe

And gave her father forty wacks

When she saw what she had done

She gave her mother forty-one.

Alas she is not an American.

Ian

This is Ian’s second wound stripe – others may remember that he recently ended up with a bayonet in his other foot. Yes, really.

Hmmm... do I get one for dropping an entrenching tool blade on my foot a few weeks back? :blink: Luckily, it was the "pick" rather than the "spade" end, and so merely gouged out a lump of flesh, rather than slicing off a toe or three.

Total lack of sympathy from the flatmate - she just laughed and ordered me not to bleed on the carpet, and I'm certainly not telling my mother, as I'm sure I'll get the inevitable, "well, that's what happens when you don't wear slippers!"

Guest John Sukey

On the same subject, an aquaintence who worked in a knife shop was taking apart a Wakasashi. Standard procedure is push out the bamboo peg holding the grip, hold blade vertical and tap end of pommel with hand to loosen blade. He did all that and the blade did'nt move. for some reason he turned it over. Blade fell out, went through his shoe and stuck in the wood floor! A bit messy.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

As a few of the guys saw at Kew today my ankle is healing up nicely and I will be back to training next week - wahoo!

Ian