Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major W.Kinghan

bluebonnet

I am looking for information on the above mentioned officer who originally served with the Royal Irish Fusiliers (36th Ulster Div.)

Hi Cunliffe,

He was Major R W Kinghan and he went to France in March,1916. He was awarded the M.C. and was also MID.

On his MIC he gave his address as Shillelagh, St Andrew's Park, Southborough, Tunbridge Wells.

Hope this helps,

Robert

My thanks to you Robert for the excellent start you have given me-I am naturally curious to know about the MC and MID.So far as I am aware he was a Dublin man; but I note his English address and that has me wondering too.

There's a record for a Robert William Kingham, Royal Irish Fusiliers, in WO 339/20236. Nothing in the catalogue for Kinghan

Yes David I too thought his name was Kingham; but it is- I assure you Kinhan. Are there any details which may fit the man,regardless of the spelling of the name???

From the War List, Trinity College, Dublin, 1922:

Kinghan, Robert William;

Entered 1911; 2nd Lt 8th R. Irish. Fus., Sept 1914; Adjutant, 1914; Capt. 1916; despatches Jan 1917; New Armies, 1917; wounded March 1918; MC, Sept 1918.

From Register of Alumni of Trinity College, Dublin, 1955:

Kinghan, Robert William (1921) MC, BA; c/o Barclay's Bank, Abbey House, Victoria Street, London, SW1

From Register of Alumni of Trinity College, Dublin, 1970:

Kinghan, Robert William (1921) MC, BA; Stony Down, East Harting, nr. Petersfield, Hants.

Regards, Dick Flory

There's a record for a Robert William Kingham, Royal Irish Fusiliers, in WO 339/20236. Nothing in the catalogue for Kinghan

He is definitely Kinghan in the Army List and also on the MIC, so the WO339 reference is simply a spelling mistake :thumbsup:

Edit: Whoops, I missed Dick's reply!!

Thank you Dick- that would appear to be the man I am looking for-he was wounded on the same day as my GF was killed, in the 5th Army Retreat; at or near Hangard/Demuin .New Armies 1917 smacks of an appointment of some sort.

Sorry was typing in the middle of doing other things, so didn't make myself entirely clear, I suspect the catalogue entry maybe in error: either a typo that's got through the review process; or a War Office clerk actually wrote the wrong thing on the file at some point. The MIC has been checked, and does say Kinghan, it would also be interesting to check the relevant portion of WO 338 to see if that has Kinghan or Kingham with the relevant long number

If his father was Church of Ireland you will be able to find more info on him (which parishes he served) in Crockford

Thank you for your thorough research gentlemen-so born Swineford Co Mayo lived Dublin. Commissioned into R. Ir. Fus as 2nd Lt 1911 Capt.and Adj. to ?Bn RIF 1916. !917 -1918 appointment New Armies???

cunliffe

Brain not what it was,but I have a distinct feeling that this soldier has been here before,I remember the surname caused the same stir as it's doing now. Worth a search.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate-you are absolutely correct-I am still trying to find out where he was on the 30th of March 1918;,the day of my GF's death; and he (Kinghan) was wounded in the same area. I apologise for the subterfuge; but I thought that if I started again- I might just strike lucky this time round.That day was a day of utter confusion.

I will certainly understand if you decided to pull the plug on this now- but I hope not. Like you I fear my brain is not as sharp as I would like it to be.

cunliffe

No worries,others may not have seen this and may know something,never give up here,I've seen that tenacity repaid a few times !It's also good to know that my brain can be relied upon sometimes,but don't tell the Mrs !

If there is anything I should be doing whilst I am looking at your 9 Scots Rifles for Aug 1918 then send me a PM.

Sotonmate

Thanks for the encouragement-I will Pm you re 9/SR +ought else.

Is this is the soldier you are looking for? Had this photo in my files. On second thoughts it proably is not the right individual. Initials post-6975-0-29974400-1328568281.jpgwrong. post-6975-0-29974400-1328568281.jpg

I'm afraid not Mr Clarke- Major RW Kinghan MC survived the war and lived in England thereafter-nice try though.

Pleased that you have got so much info from the learned members of the forum. I see by the London Gazette that he is named Kingham. I knew by his initials that he was not the right man, and said so, but I couldn't resist the temptation of inserting photo. Now the question arises: Who was he?

The answer to the question "who is he" has been ably answered by Dick Flory,Corisande and your good self.If your question was "What was he" that too has been largely answered by Dick Flory.

I do know however that as ex Bn officer he got caught up in the Fifth Army's Retreat- heading a Composite Bn,got together at Villers Brettoneux in March 1918.

Thanks for reply, my learned one. As one gets older one tends to forget what one does in days of yore. Not all, but a little. Cheers.

PJ you are most welcome- I note that you too are from Co Mayo, where RW Kinghan was born in Swin(e)ford..Any of that name there now???

• 7 years later...