Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th (Hood) Battalion RND

silkman3811

Is there a kind soul out there who can help me determine the movements/location of the Hood Battalion, 63rd Royal Naval Division, in the month of November 1917?

I know they were involved in actions around Wallemolen on 26-27th October 1917 and were taken 'out of the line' to recuperate after a mauling. The Division subsequently moved to Welsh Ridge on 6th December where it took part in the action of 30-31st December. Does this mean that they weren't directly involved in the offensive operations at Cambrai in November-December?

Unfortunately, I don't currently have access to the RND history and the war diary hasn't been digitized as yet.

As always any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

best regards

Steve

Steve,

Per Capt Christopher Page RN in his biography* of Asquith “In early November 1917 Hood Battalion found themselves in the area around Roubrouck and Ledezeele, west of Cassel, and only about ten miles from the Channel coast: the Brigade had had only ten days' rest since January 21st. On 13 November Asquith took some leave in England......”

This leave was extended to 12 December when he was urgently recalled to France

The RND had begun to move already on 6 December, as you suggested above.

By 13 December they were at “Metz en Couture, west of Cambrai, and took over the lines on Welsh Ridge beginning on the night of 14/15 December.”

*Command in the Royal Naval Division – A military biography of Brigadier General A M Asquith DSO

published by Spellmount, 1999, ISBN 1-86227-048-1

regards

Michael

"... taken 'out of the line' to recuperate after a mauling" gives a very incomplete and distorted picture of the HOOD action in late October. They were, after all, back in action less than a week later. After HOOD was relieved their subsequent movements in late October, November and early December were:-

28-30 Oct Canal Bank (West side); 31 Oct Reigersberg Camp then back to Canal Bank (west); 1-2 Nov Canal Bank; 2-5 Nov in the line; 6 Nov Irish Farm; 7-10 Nov Road Camp; 11 Nov Winnizele; 12-28 Nov Hogen Hill, Roubrouck; 29 Nov Le Nouveau Monde; 30 Nov Road Camp, where they remained until the move south on 9-10 December.

H2,

Thanks for those extra details

I wonder if you could remind me - didn't the RND drop the numbering system (eg; 7th [Hood] Battalion) in their reorganisation after IIIrd Krithia?

best regards

Michael

That's brilliant Michael, thanks

Could I be really cheeky and ask if there's anything specific about what the Hood Battalion were doing on the 1st/2nd/3rd January 1918? This was after the action at Welsh Ridge. A soldier I'm researching was mortally wounded on the 2nd January and died o the following day at the 48th CCS in Ytres.

Steve,

Per Capt Christopher Page RN in his biography* of Asquith "In early November 1917 Hood Battalion found themselves in the area around Roubrouck and Ledezeele, west of Cassel, and only about ten miles from the Channel coast: the Brigade had had only ten days' rest since January 21st. On 13 November Asquith took some leave in England......"

This leave was extended to 12 December when he was urgently recalled to France

The RND had begun to move already on 6 December, as you suggested above.

By 13 December they were at "Metz en Couture, west of Cambrai, and took over the lines on Welsh Ridge beginning on the night of 14/15 December."

*Command in the Royal Naval Division – A military biography of Brigadier General A M Asquith DSO

published by Spellmount, 1999, ISBN 1-86227-048-1

regards

Michael

Michael, I am not certain when the battalion numbering formally fell into dis-use. The Navy Lists continued to include numbers until the mid-June 1915 edition and even then they managed to get it wrong, recording (inter alia) "Hood (6th) Battalion of the 2nd Brigade" and Anson as 7th. Perhaps not surprising then that even Jerrold got it wrong in his divisional history (page 6), where he lists Hawke as 2nd Bn and Benbow as 3rd Bn when they should be vice versa. I have a feeling that the numbers were not much used after late 1914, by which time three naval battalions had been largely 'lost' at Antwerp.

I was quoting from an available internet source... It wasn't meant to offend or be used out of context. However, my (albeit limited) understanding from the sources reviewed is that the RND suffered considerable losses during that period.

I think the word maul was used in period reports/histories

Apologies again if this terminology caused any offence.

Steve

"... taken 'out of the line' to recuperate after a mauling" gives a very incomplete and distorted picture of the HOOD action in late October. They were, after all, back in action less than a week later. After HOOD was relieved their subsequent movements in late October, November and early December were:-

28-30 Oct Canal Bank (West side); 31 Oct Reigersberg Camp then back to Canal Bank (west); 1-2 Nov Canal Bank; 2-5 Nov in the line; 6 Nov Irish Farm; 7-10 Nov Road Camp; 11 Nov Winnizele; 12-28 Nov Hogen Hill, Roubrouck; 29 Nov Le Nouveau Monde; 30 Nov Road Camp, where they remained until the move south on 9-10 December.

Many thanks for that H2

Steve

1-3 Jan they were in close support on Welsh Ridge. Then relieved by DRAKE Bn and to billets in Metz.

7 ORs were wounded on 2 Jan.

No offence assumed or taken, silkman. It is just that the quotation gives the impression that the HOODs had to be pulled out just because they had taken exceptional casualties. In fact in the RND operations at Passchendaele the battalions of 189 Bde RND (Hood, Nelson, Hawke and Drake), through their better battle plans, took fewer casualties than the other two brigades (especially the army battalions constituting 190 Bde RND who took a real mauling).

At the risk of offending somebody... from what I have read so far I'd say that the RND were one of the best infantry divisions in the... er...army. They certainly seemed to be in the thick of it thoughout the war...

cheers

Steve

No offence assumed or taken, silkman. It is just that the quotation gives the impression that the HOODs had to be pulled out just because they had taken exceptional casualties. In fact in the RND operations at Passchendaele the battalions of 189 Bde RND (Hood, Nelson, Hawke and Drake), through their better battle plans, took fewer casualties than the other two brigades (especially the army battalions constituting 190 Bde RND who took a real mauling).

• 8 years later...

My Grandfather served with the 1st Hood Bn, certainly at Gallipoli, probably Antwerp too but can't confirm this all the way to the final whistle. I know he went through a lot including the loss of a good pal. Only time he mentioned the war apparently was when he was in his cups and had a little cry to himself.. 

Lest we forget 

17 hours ago, MindenMan said:

My Grandfather served with the 1st Hood Bn, certainly at Gallipoli, probably Antwerp too but can't confirm this all the way to the final whistle

In 1995, Len Sellers authored a very good history 'The Hood Battalion' published by Leo Cooper/Pen & Sword [ISBN 0 85053 386 9]

Highly recommended!

14 hours ago, michaeldr said:

In 1995, Len Sellers authored a very good history 'The Hood Battalion' published by Leo Cooper/Pen & Sword [ISBN 0 85053 386 9]

Highly recommended!

Hi, yeah I've read that, the excellent Khaki jack too. The old fellah joined the RNVR expecting to go to Sea, ended up manning an MG for the duration 

On 24/07/2020 at 21:22, MindenMan said:

My Grandfather served with the 1st Hood Bn, certainly at Gallipoli, probably Antwerp too but can't confirm this all the way to the final whistle.

If you're asking for help with your research, then, as Horatio2 has previously suggested, you'll need to share a few more details

In which case you will have confirmed from both his RND record and the "Hood Battalion" Appendix whether or not he was at Antwerp.