Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5/12269 Cpl Robert Gibney 5th Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers DCM

ARMAGH

From the Armagh Guardian 23 6 1916

Armagh Man gets DCMSergeant Robert Gibney,5th Battalion has beem awarded the DCM,is an old campaigner who served through the South African war.His parents reside at Banbrook Hill Armagh.Before the outbreak of the present war he was a drill instructor in the National Volunteers.

Any member know which Regiment Robert was in?

also any information on the National Volunteers?

Many thanks

Joe

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 JUNE, 1916

5/12269 Cpl. R. Gibney, 5th Bn., R. Ir. Fus.

For conspicuous gallantry. He held a

-small trench all day with only six men, and,

although wounded, would not retire till

ordered.

His MIC shows he was later 35616 DCLI and 27705 Royal (Northumberland??) Fusiliers.

Went to Balkans 7/8/1915.

The National Volunteers was the larger group formed when the Irish Volunteers, a nationalist paramilitary group formed in opposition to the Ulster Volunteers in 1913, split over the question of participation in the war. About 140,000 of the 150,000 members of the Irish Volunteers decided that the best route to Irish Home Rule was to fight for the British. A good read on the subject is Heroic Option: The Irish in the British Army from Pen & Sword books

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 JUNE, 1916

5/12269 Cpl. R. Gibney, 5th Bn., R. Ir. Fus.

For conspicuous gallantry. He held a

-small trench all day with only six men, and,

although wounded, would not retire till

ordered.

His MIC shows he was later 35616 DCLI and 27705 Royal (Northumberland??) Fusiliers.

Went to Balkans 7/8/1915.

Thanks IPT for the information.

Joe

The National Volunteers was the larger group formed when the Irish Volunteers, a nationalist paramilitary group formed in opposition to the Ulster Volunteers in 1913, split over the question of participation in the war. About 140,000 of the 150,000 members of the Irish Volunteers decided that the best route to Irish Home Rule was to fight for the British. A good read on the subject is Heroic Option: The Irish in the British Army from Pen & Sword books

Thanks NigelP

Joe

• 3 years later...

Update on Sgt Robert Gibney

Medal Index Card should read

Royal Irish Fusiliers 27705

Qualifying date 7 8 1915 to the Balkans

In the 1911 census Robert age 25* Farm Labourer is living with his parents John age 54 Butcher Mary Ann age 53 Brothers Patrick age 23 Francis age19 Vincent age 14 Antony age 11Sisters Bridget age 18 & Agnes age 11 at No 86 Banbrook Hill Armagh Religion RC

remainder of family worked in the Flax spinning mills Married 34 years 12 children born 9 living all born Co Armagh

1901 Census Ireland no mention of Robert or his father, Robert could have been serving in the army?

Name: Robert John Gibney* Gender: Male Birth Date: 25 Feb 1881 Birth Place: Armagh, Armagh, Ireland Father's name: John Gibney Mother's name: Mary Ann Kearney Gibney FHL Film Number: 257857

Would like to date & place of death for Robert?

For interest the Anglo-Boer War medals, R GIBNEY 6461 1 Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers,and shown as being in Army Reserve on the Rolls which were completed in Londonderry in April 1903:

Queen's South Africa Medal and clasps for Belmont,Modder River,Cape Colony,Transvaal and Orange Free State.

King's South Africa Medal with 1901 and 1902 clasps.

For interest the Anglo-Boer War medals, R GIBNEY 6461 1 Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers,and shown as being in Army Reserve on the Rolls which were completed in Londonderry in April 1903:

Queen's South Africa Medal and clasps for Belmont,Modder River,Cape Colony,Transvaal and Orange Free State.

King's South Africa Medal with 1901 and 1902 clasps.

sotonmate This must be the same man as there is no Robert Gibney Royal Irish Fusiliers on the records for the Boer war but did re-enlist in the Royal Irish Fusiliers and I think served until 1927 would like to find out date & place of death.

Joe

Had you thought that he might have emigrated after his service ? There are two entries on Ancestry for a Robert Gibney,first one OB to Quebec,can't get a date as I am unable to see the page,and again in 1959 he was OB to Montreal.A bit of an oldtimer if it was he in 1959 but not impossible that he may have come home for a visit.

• 3 years later...

Robert John Gibney had his marriage registered 17 Oct, 1923 to Bridget Feighan in Armagh.  I am a descendant of one of his brothers.  I too am looking for information on his activities after 1923.  I do not have a death date or place for him or his wife.  I have no proof, but I doubt that he emigrated.

His birth regn was bet 1 Jan 1881 and 31 Mar 1881 in Armagh as his birth was listed as 25 Feb 1881 Abbey Lane Armagh and baptism was 12 Mar 1881 same place.

• 9 months later...

I am Robert Gibney's great-grand daughter, and recently saw this post.

To fill in a few blanks from above, Robert lived in Armagh until his death in 1938, and is buried in the graveyard of St Patrick's Cathedral Armagh.

Robert had one daughter, Mary Agnes, who was born in 1925. She married Bernard (Barney) McKenna in the late 40s. My father was the eldest of her six living children. Robert is descended by 6 grandchildren, 22 great-grandchildren, and well over 20 (to date) great-great grandchildren.

I attach a link to pics of his medals, which are in armagh military museum (cabinet 6, drawer 5), and his grave.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1vVmD0s4hzCmkpOmuZjj9jZs1BVRkX0HY

Edited by Guest
Typo

Robert Giblin won his DCM at Kosturino Macedonia possibly in the outpost position known as Rocky Peak.7/8th December 1915.He was further awarded The Serbian Cross of Karageorge 2nd Class with Swords (L/Gaz page 3825 of 1917) best w, Howard 

(info courtesy of The Annotated DCM Roll)

• spof changed the title to 5/12269 Cpl Robert Gibney 5th Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers DCM