Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did the YMCA get medals

steelbonnet

I have taken an interest in the work done by non military personel during the great war and also in the issue or not of medals to these people ( nurses. doctors, civil vets, chauffers, merchant navy dock staff etc.)

I have come across lots of references to the work done by the YMCA. but have found no references or photos of the usual british medals of the great war being issued to anyone from the YMCA. Has anyone out there seen or heard such a thing,?

Gordon

4238 hits on the National Archives Medal Card index suggests they did.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=corpname%3dyoung%20mens%20christian%20association&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

.. though it seems it was mainly female workers. I'm sure a more qualified answer will be along in a minute..

• Admin

Forum rules constrain me from posting an example but there are 43 references in the Medal Index Cards to campaign medals awarded to YMCA personnel - most received the British War Medal, a few mainly Chaplains served in a theatre of war and therefore received the Victory Medal as well.

Interestingly they are listed in the "Civilian' Rolls

Ken

Gordon

Greetings

Ivana Frlan of the University of Birmingham Special Collections:

http://www.special-coll.bham.ac.uk/

archives historical material on behalf of the YMCA.

If you dig out any YMCA military historical information then please send it to Ivana.

Harry

Interesting,

Oswald Chambers, a well-known evangelical minister and author of My Utmost For His Highest (still in print) appears on the MIC cards as a Rev. with the YMCA, entering the Egyptian Theatre on 11 October 1916.

He also died there on 15 November 1917 aged 43 and has a war grave at Cairo War Memorial Cemetery (Ref. F.344) as a Superintendent YMCA. His widow lived in Muswell Hill, London. But unless I'm mistaking what's on his MIC he still only got the single BWM.

post-12434-0-45992900-1328046323.jpg

(Photo 2007 courtesy of member Kirke's Lamb, his copyright acknowledged)

Clive

I have a BWM to the Rev Arnold H Griffiths YMCA who also entered the Egyptian theatre but this time in June 1915. The BWM his only medal on the MIC.

Aled

Aled,

is it named as Rev...YMCA or (as with Services chaplains) without the organisational initials?

Clive

This letter from The Times of Sept. 24th, 1919 indicates that there might have been 1914-15 Stars awarded to YMCA members:

The 1914-15 Star.

To the Editor of the Times

Sir,- The announcement made this morning that the War Office has decided that the 1914-15 Star is to be granted to all those in the Y.M.C.A. who served overseas between August, 1914, and December, 1915, will, I think, be the last straw as far as the Merchant Service is concerned. The Admiralty has, from the very commencement, flatly refused to grant this decoration to the Merchant Service – except as regards those who were serving under special naval engagements at that time – and this decision has caused extremely bitter feeling. No one wishes to take away from the splendid work accomplished by the Y.M.C.A. during the war, but surely there is no comparison between it and the services of the Merchant Services, I think it is generally agreed, victory would have been impossible, and yet a much coveted decoration such as this is refused to men of the Merchant Service who, in those day particularly, had to meet the enemy at sea, in the large majority of cases unarmed, and yet remained un-daunted.

The Imperial Merchant Service Guild, as representing the captains and officers, took this matter up with the authorities from the very first, and latterly the Seafarers’ Joint Council, as representing all ranks of merchant seafarers, have been dealing with it, but the Admiralty remains adamant in their decision not to grant the decoration.

I trust that you will give this letter the hospitality of your columns, as we feel that the public ought to know the treatment which the Merchant Service is receiving in this matter.

I am, Sir, your obedient servant,

G.B. SAY, Chief Assistant Secretary,

Imperial Merchant Service Guild

The Arcade, Lord-street, Liverpool, Sept. 20

I should stress that I haven't been able to find confirmation of the War Office announcement mentioned, and would be very surprised if this were the case that the 'served overseas', given by the correspondent, shouldn't have been 'theatre of war'; on this basis possibly there may even have been YMCA members entitled to the 1914 Star, although maybe during the qualification period for that award the YMCA didn't have members present who would have qualified.

Are awards of the 1914 or 1914-15 Star, as evidenced by MICs or other knowledge, to YMCA members known?

NigelS

• Admin

Are awards of the 1914 or 1914-15 Star, as evidenced by MICs or other knowledge, to YMCA members known? NigelS

As an example Jabez R. Ackroyd entered theatre France 22/12/14 and was awarded the Star. Although listed as YMCA he is also shown as ACD (Army Chaplains Dept) and his rank is shown as Chaplain. It appears he is on the Chaplain rather than 'Civilian' Rolls.

Thinking about it, as the database is for the British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index all those listed would probably have some military connection. Whereas the TNA probably has the Civilian Rolls hence the disparity in numbers.

(Sounds like a project!)

Ken

Aled,

is it named as Rev...YMCA or (as with Services chaplains) without the organisational initials?

Clive

Clive, It's named 'Rev. A. H. Griffiths'

Aled