Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SA First Eastern Rifles Uniform?

picklecat

Is the attached uniform that of the South African Defense Force, 1915?The soldier is my great, great uncle, 2nd Liet Cyril Seymour Hodges, who served in the First Eastern Rifles SAFD 1914-1915

Thanks for any advice!,

Fred.

post-87106-0-54671800-1327910630.jpg

I know nothing about S.A uniforms, but if I was to come across that photo on its own I would date it about 1890 - 1900. Also again as a hunch I would expect the cap badge to be of British Regiment rather than a S.A. unit, but I am prepared to be shown as completely wrong.

G

Thanks, G.

I did wonder as well if it might be a 'cadet' kind of uniform. I have a photo of the same chap when he's about 30, with a brief bio of the units he was in. I compared the above photo to the later one to make sure they are the same person, which I think they are.

I'm wondering if it might be a 'mounted' unit, as he has a hefty looking sabre, and looks to me as id he is sitting on a kind of saddle.... or not!

He was living in SA before 1914, served 14-15 in the African Rifles, then back to England to join the Connaught Rangers forthe duration.

By the way, 1900 is a good guess - in the 1891 census he is living at home. In the 1901 census he has gone.

Fred.

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the link. Under closer inspection, the Hampshire badge is close but..... as you can see the badge in the photo is more 'triangular'.

Fred.

post-87106-0-11824500-1327990779.jpg

reckon it could be a photo of Seymour senior. Given that he was in the 2nd Hants Regt from December 1883 onwards, badge looks similar

http://www.north-wal...om/-p-9195.html

Sorry - larger image:

post-87106-0-37132500-1327990875.jpg