Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wireless Operator

DGW

Hi all -

I am researching names on my Church War Memorial on the Rochdale / Royton border in Lancashire. One of those listed is an A Wilkinson, a visit to the Royton War memorial reveals he was Arnold Wilkinson. Thanks to the assistance of a fellow member of the this Board an entry was found in the local paper in the "In Memorium" submitted by his Uncle under the surname Green. It states simply "Arnold Wilkinson - Wireless Operator of 814 Rochdale Road Royton - lost at sea 29/4/1918.

There is no listing under this name, with that date, on CWGC lists and assuming he was either in the Royal or Merchant Navy given his trade as Wireless Operator would be grateful if anyone can throw light on this individual.

Many thanks

Hi,

Same address 1911 census, FMP lists him born 1899.

and then died at sea 1918 aged 19, ships name VIGO

Nothing on VIGO yet!

Cheers, Terry

Presumably Merchant Marine.

He'd be entitled to CWGC commemoration if his death was due to enemy action. That said, I can't see any reference to an SS Vigo.

The Vigo in question would presumably be a 4224 grt steamer built in 1905 by Earle’s SB. & Eng. Co., Ltd., Hull and owned in 1918 by Ellerman’s Wilson Line, Ltd., Hull. Official Number: 121056.

Another much less likely possibility: a vessel of 82 grt built in 1905 by Denny, Dumbarton and owned by the Irrawaddy Flotilla Co. Ltd., Glasgow. ON: 121205.

The larger Vigo was assaulted by gun by a U-boat in the Atlantic on September 30, 1917 but fought off her attacker. No casualties.

Best wishes,

Michael

A mystery at the moment re hs ship and why he is not listed in CWGC!!

Probably no mystery here. The usually reliable naval-history.net has no listing for Vigo amongst its list of ship losses. That'd draw me to the conclusion that he didnt die through enemy action, hence no CWGC commemoration.

John, you are indeed correct.

Having visited the Local studies Library tonight managed to find this in the locfal paper dated 24 May 1918:

"Mr & Mrs H Green, 814 Rochdale road have been informed that their nephew Wireless Operator Arnold Wilkinson, died at sea on Apr 29th and was buried at sea on Apr 30th. He was 19 and studied Wireless Telegraphy in Manchester and went for Service on Jan 18 this year"

Further to my last a photograph appeared in a subsequent edition of the paper dated Jun 6 1918!

Probably no mystery here. The usually reliable naval-history.net has no listing for Vigo amongst its list of ship losses. That'd draw me to the conclusion that he didnt die through enemy action, hence no CWGC commemoration.

Vigo survived WW1 and was sold to a Spanish line in the 1920s. This would support the idea that he died through accident or disease

Given it was a Merchant Ship I assume there would be no Dr on board to certify the cause of death etc, so who records the details? The Captain?

Yes, even if there was a doctor on board, from 1837 it was the captain of any British registered ship who had the legal responsibility of notifying the GRO of the deaths of English and Welsh citizens. The rules seem to have been different for for Scots and Irish.

This may help http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/births-marriages-deaths-sea.htm

Centuion : many thnaks for that, I assume his Death Certificate would be obtainable from GRO should I decisde to go that far. In the meantime I am struggling to find any further info on the ship Vigo, no photo or anything appears to be on the net. I have been in touch with the Hull record archives who have the documents for Ellerman Wilson Line!

DGW,

Should you decide to go for his Death Certificate, these look to be his details:

Name: WILKINSON, Arnold. Vessel: Vigo. Country: At sea.

Year: 1918. Page: 135. Age at death: 19.

Record source: GRO Marine Death Indices (1903 to 1965).

GRO link Click Here

Cheers, Terry

I am struggling to find any further info on the ship Vigo, no photo or anything appears to be on the net. I have been in touch with the Hull record archives who have the documents for Ellerman Wilson Line!

VIGO Built 1905 by Earle’s Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Hull. Sold to a Spanish line 1927 and renamed Arcangelo. Ships’ registry book DEW/10/2 contains a plan on page 161