Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PSA Welsh Guards c. 1915

seaforth78

And I think he must be Peter Swainson Akroyd born Bucks in 1901. He is at a prep school in 1911 census

That gives you him in 1901 census at Wavendon House, Wavendon, Bucks. You could say that the family have a bob or two

flat_for_sale_in_wavendon_house_drive_wavendon_mk17_94812069309984092.jpg

Peter Swanison Akroyd

Christening Date: 21 Jan 1901

Christening Place: Wavendon, Buckinghamshire, England

Father's Name: Swanison Howden Akroyd

Mother's name: Evelyn Frances

And Ancestry have clippings for his marriage and death on this link click

They couldn't be bothered with something like. One needs a researcher for such a tedious task. I wish I go myself but alas!

I think you're being a little unkind. I volunteer as archivist at the KRH museum and HHQ (South) and I suspect the same thing applies to the Guards - only more so. A lot of requests which we work through as best we can.

So he was the University Candidate identified by LF in 1923 after all.

Corisande,

Thanks for breaking the code! While googling him, his father was also a noted cricketer! So, it ran in the family.

He married in Cyprus to a E James in 1946, according to Ancestry but died just mere five years later at age 51.

Many thanks again.

Now I have to see if he had WW II service.

tempaire

Corisande,

The House is for sale, or at least bits of it broken up in two bedroom flats, which is a pity.

I always like this bit of the research on anyone, when you try to flesh out the man behind the name.

If you have the time you can get a lot on this chap from cradle to grave.

I have looked for the family on Ancestry and GenesReunited to see if I could find any relatives, but no

His father got the money from stockbroking. He died in 1925 and there is an obit in The Times, Wednesday, Dec 09, 1925

From history of Cazenoves

1819: Philip Cazenove joins brother-in-law John Menet's brokerage business.

1823: Cazenove becomes a partner in Menet's firm.

1835: After Menet's death, Casenove forms a partnership with Joseph Laurence and Charles Pierce.

1854: Casenove sets up a new partnership, J. Casenove & Co., with his son and nephew.

1889: The company becomes Casenove and Akroyd and later Casenove, Akroyd and Greenwood and Co.

1954: The company changes its name to Casenove & Co.

Philip Cazenove died in 1880, leaving behind one of England's most important financial houses. The Cazenove family remained prominent members of the partnership through the 19th and 20th centuries, during which the firm continued to bring in new partners. One of the most important of these was Swainston Howeden Akroyd, who joined the partnership in 1889. Considered one of the "fathers" of the London Stock Exchange, Akroyd brought in his brother, as well as his name, to the partnership, which became known as Cazenove and Akroyd.

By then, Cazenove had already established its rather exclusive recruiting practices. Partners seemed more or less required to have attended elite schools such as Eton or Winchester and to have been members of the Brigade of Guards. The partnership also became famous for its embrace of formality and tradition, enforcing highly restrictive dress codes into the "casual dress" era of the 1990s and 2000s.

Cazenove made a number of acquisitions of other brokerage and private banking firms in the early decades of the 20th century. The partnership later extended its name to Cazenove Akroyds and Greenwood & Co. in order to reflect its expanded form.

OUTSTANDING.

Well, I had a good week alright acquring this sleeper of a sword that no one wanted for months. Interestingly though for sword collectors like myself, it confirms that the Welsh Guards did not inscribe the battle honours on their swords until after 1923.

Many thanks to Corisande, Steven and Leo. You really helped a lot here.

Tempaire

You could try offering to sell it to Casenoves - they may be interested :thumbsup:

I seem to have a uncanny gift of acquring swords to financial houses....

The other sword to RA MacKean 10th Jats I have was the grandson of founder of HSBC!

OUTSTANDING.

Well, I had a good week alright acquring this sleeper of a sword that no one wanted for months. Interestingly though for sword collectors like myself, it confirms that the Welsh Guards did not inscribe the battle honours on their swords until after 1923.

Many thanks to Corisande, Steven and Leo. You really helped a lot here.

Tempaire

It is always nice to be able to link a sword back to its original owner, and then research that particular person. Plus, there is always the added bonus of the sword's increased value having established the original owner.

Regards,

Leo

• 1 year later...
Guest Hhuttenbach

My father, Norman Hugh Huttenbach, married Audrey Swainson in 1916 who was the daughter of Swainson Howden Akroyd so there must be a connection to Peter. I am researching my father in depth at present so any information that links us on this topic would be very helpful. Hhuttenbach@hotmail.com

Guest Hhuttenbach

Not sure if I replied to the correct story. My father, Norman Hugh Huttenbach, married Audrey Swainson Akroyd in 1916. She was the daughter of Swainson Howden Akroyd. Divorced 1931. So somewhere there will be a connection. Hhuttenbach@hotmail.com

• 2 months later...
Guest Scalfordlass

Hi there,

Don't know whether this is of any interest to the owner of PSA's sword but my grandfather used to work for him in the 1930's and 40's as his chauffeur when PSA lived in the East Midlands. My grandfather had been in the Grenadier guards during the 20's but at the start of WW2 joined into the Welsh Guards to be PSA's batman. They were in No. 5 Company and I have a photo of them both in the winning cricket team of the Inter Company League Competition 1943 if Tempaire is interested.

Carol Hardisty

• 4 months later...
Guest johnnieb

Peter Swainson Akroyd was my mother's uncle and I would be interested in buying it if you still have it. This is my first post on the site so am not quite sure how it all works! But look forward to hearing from you. JB.