Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Historians

Guest MaryFM

Hi everyone

I was watching Richard Holmes on the History channel on Wednesday for the umpteenth time and happened to wonder if you had a particular historian who kept your attention either in book or television. I have watched Richard Holmes many times and found him a pleasure to listen to and understand even if the subject is sad at times, and having searched the forum to see if anyone else has asked this and not found one I thought I would.

I have found Martin Middlebrook, Macolm Brown and Lyn Macdonald's books are engrossing to the end and I hope to buy Richard Holmes new book next week.

So lads and lassies who is your favourite's?

Thanks

Mary

P's if this thread is already in here all I can say is Oop's!

Books - Antony Beevor - especially for 'Stalingrad'

TV Docs. - I think Gary Sheffield is under-rated for TV. Find him 'normal, listenable, viewer friendly'.

Landmark series - Alistair Cooke's America - not strictly a historian, but brilliant.

'Guest artists' - the guy who fills in with knowledgeable comments - The American guy from Sandhurst with the Polish/Jewish surname? Black curly hair - cuts to the chase every time. V. sure of himself. Top man.

And of course the Prof. and always Middlebrook.

Good thread!

Des

Hi Mary,

All of the above..... plus Pierre Berton, Norm Christie and Will Bird... and my High School History teacher, Mrs Thompson.

Cheers Shelley :D

Richard Holmes- he has a fascinating understated style which I find totally engrossing. Is he like that on his own battlefield tours?

I very much enjoy Martin Middlebrooks style. Its a pity he didn't write any more WW1 books- but I guess his personal archive of material *must* contain another book....

John Keegan, Malcolm Brown too-

Lyn MacDonald less so- sometimes her books read like a poor Middlebrook, IMHO.

Agree with Des about the American guy from Sandhurst as well-

Yeah, agree with the rest, but memory failing, and i know it's off WW1, Michael Wood, 'In the footsteps of Alexander the Great'. Followed him in previous programmes, i.e. 'Silk Road', really gives you a feel for things, 'walking the ground sort of stuff', hey, and we all know about that :D

Chris.

Heretic on board.

Whilst i see that Holmes has the knowledge i do not seem to be captivated by this man from what i have seen on the box. To many heresy i know but thats how i feel.

Lyn Macdonald will always have a place in my heart, though of recent i seem to ask not what happened but why? from this stance i have not one but many authors that 'do it for me'.

Live talkers I have to say whilst Gary Sheffield is good, John Bourne is captivating and imformative and Peter Hart is both funny and knowledgable. i also have to say since being a member of both the WFA and the centre for first world war studies at Birmingham universirty i have listened to a diverse section of talkers and almost all have given me food for thought.

good post I really had to think about this post.

regards

Arm.

I am showing my age here but ;Brian Aldis,who used to present "All Our Yesterdays" on ITV in the 1960s,had a compulsive Voice & prescence on the Small Screen

Lyn Mcdonald & Martin Middlebrook are both always very good & easy to read,& I have had the pleasure of hearing Mr Middlebrook speak on a number of occasions,he is always an interesting & pleasurable "turn"

- but I guess his personal archive of material *must* contain another book....

Oddly,Martin Middlebrook tends to dispose of his Research Volumes,etc; after the publication of each of his Books,as anyone who has attended the Peterborough 'Soke Military Collectors Society' will endorse,I was fortunate to be there on the night he "outed" his 1930s 5th Army History! & he even signed it!{and he had annotated it throughout during his research!~priceless!}

Does anyone vaguely rmember the series based around the life and times of Lord Louis Mountbatten?

Why I like Middlebrook? He had the cojones to do what he did .. and he came from our constituency ..not the Oxford/Cambridge set .. just a guy with the interest to do it.

IMHO of course.

Another wonderful series which had weekly magazine 'tie-in' - The British Empire.

Had a chance to buy entire red 'leather/plastic' bound set for £20 - I was scooped.

Please tell me it's OK. What are they worth now????!!! :(

Why I like Middlebrook? He had the cojones to do what he did .. and he came from our constituency ..not the Oxford/Cambridge set .. just a guy with the interest to do it.

IMHO of course.

Absolutely,a Lincolnshire Chicken Farmer,who prior to visiting a Relatives Grave in Flanders Fields had little or no knowledge of the subject,but decided to write the Story anyway~~ I suppose like all good Authors; No one had told him he couldn't! :)

Hi Harry

Guess I'm showing my age I remember Brian Aldis too!

Best wishes

Mary

Aahh! Golden Years & I was so young then too! :rolleyes: