Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian's movements WW1

chris basey

Could somebody please suggest where I can trace the movements of the 7th Battalion Canadian Infantry (British Columbia Regiment) during the First World War?

The excellent Canadian records and CWGC have provided the necessary personal details of this man who appears on our village War Memorial. I am interested to ascertain whether he might have been stationed in England and had the opportunity to visit relatives who lived here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris Basey

Chris, don't know if you've found this website, but it may be of use . . .

http://www.bcregiment.com/bcr_history_ww1.htm

7th Battalion fought with the 2nd Brigade of the 1st Cdn Division, so were involved in lots of action overseas. He may not have been too long in England.

The surest way to trace his movements would be to order his service records from the National Archives of Canada. There is a small charge per page for photocopying the records, but they are quite complete.

The 7th Bn spent a couple of months on Salisbury Plain area with 1st Canadian Division before moving to the Western Front.

I have a photocopy of the 7th Bn history; it is pretty brief, but if you want any details let me know.

Chris,

I imagine Paul's book is Major TV Scudamore's 'A Short History of the 7th Battalion C.E.F.' which includes a list of the battalion's casualities. Scudamore was captured at St Julien in April 1915 and wrote of his experiences in 'Lighter Episodes in the Life of a POW'.

By the way, who is your chap? I am researching a member of the 7th called Cartwright, who died of wounds received on the Somme.

A similar site to this one also includes details of colonial units (canadians, Australians, Indians (though not in great detail),New Zealanders - I think South Africans are also included now).

It can be found at regimental warpath.

If this link doesn't work, I think there is a link on the links page on the main website.

(How many times can I use the word "link" in one sentence???)

Dave

Chris,

Let me know what dates or actions interest you, as I have most of the 7th Battalion war diary for 1916-18. Also the 7th Battalion Regimental History for the Great War. Happy to do any look ups for you.

David

You can e-mail me at davidbluestein@rogers.com

I have been researching:

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted a notice on the CEF site in this forum that the Nicholson book has been reposted on the web in PDF format and you might find information therein. I was going to search it on my web site and found it had been moved. You can find it now at:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/downloads/O...ories/CEF_e.PDF

If you have a PDF program you can open this file and search it for 7th Btn.

And just to make sure that the new PDF version they posted is function, I searched it for your 7th Btn query and you can find references at these pages:

59, 61, 65, 67-69

90, 108, 109, 120, 134

137, 158

262, 264

301, 260, 376, 377

411, 421, 474