Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

Lt. Alan Archibald Fisher-Smith attd. 1st Guards Brigade, Coldstream Guards who died on Wednesday, 1st August 1917. Age 23. Son of Rupert Turberville Smith, and Madeline Rupert Smith. Commemorated by a large stain glass window at St Peter's Church, Wolverhampton. Cemetery: Artillery Wood Cemetery, Boezinge, Leper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Grave ref/ Panel No. IV.E.17

Window also displays badge of the Coldstream Guards.

post-63666-0-66664200-1331042374.jpg

There is a window in St Ethelreda's in Old Hatfield just outside Hatfield House (where the tank was trialed in front of the big wigs for the first time).

Unfortunately I am not savvy enough to post a picture of the Christopher Wall designed window to three members of the Cecil Family, but information of the window is as follows:

The window is dedicated to the memory of three of the Cecil family and the inscription reads "TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF RUPERT EDWARD GASCOYNE CECIL BORN JANY 20TH 1895 KILLED IN ACTION JULY 11 1915 AND OF RANDLE WILLIAM GASCOYNE CECIL BORN NOVR 28TH 1889 KILLED IN ACTION DECR 1ST 1917 AND OF JOHN ARTHUR GASCOYNE CECIL BORN MARCH 28TH 1893 KILLED IN ACTION AUGUST 27TH 1918 I LOOK FOR THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD AND THE LIFE OF THE WORLD TO COME”. The window consists of three lights.[70]. The window was presented in 1920 by James, Fourth Marquess of Salisbury, in memory of his three nephews. Their father was Lord William Cecil, then Bishop of Exeter who had previously been rector at Hatfield. The three angels in the work represent "Trial and Sacrifice" (crown of thorns), "Victory and Triumph" (resurrection and torch) and "Christian Duty" (baptism of the infant). The red seraphim in the tracery above represents "Divine Love" and the blue seraphim represents "Divine Wisdom

Maxi

Rupert Edward was a bellringer, and is also commemorated on the roll of honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, kept at St Paul's Cathedral, and online version at http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/casualties/details.php?warID=1&casID=489674. There was also an obit and photo in the Ringing World

There is a window in St Ethelreda's in Old Hatfield just outside Hatfield House (where the tank was trialed in front of the big wigs for the first time).

Unfortunately I am not savvy enough to post a picture of the Christopher Wall designed window to three members of the Cecil Family, but information of the window is as follows:

The window is dedicated to the memory of three of the Cecil family and the inscription reads "TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF RUPERT EDWARD GASCOYNE CECIL BORN JANY 20TH 1895 KILLED IN ACTION JULY 11 1915 AND OF RANDLE WILLIAM GASCOYNE CECIL BORN NOVR 28TH 1889 KILLED IN ACTION DECR 1ST 1917 AND OF JOHN ARTHUR GASCOYNE CECIL BORN MARCH 28TH 1893 KILLED IN ACTION AUGUST 27TH 1918 I LOOK FOR THE RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD AND THE LIFE OF THE WORLD TO COME”. The window consists of three lights.[70]. The window was presented in 1920 by James, Fourth Marquess of Salisbury, in memory of his three nephews. Their father was Lord William Cecil, then Bishop of Exeter who had previously been rector at Hatfield. The three angels in the work represent "Trial and Sacrifice" (crown of thorns), "Victory and Triumph" (resurrection and torch) and "Christian Duty" (baptism of the infant). The red seraphim in the tracery above represents "Divine Love" and the blue seraphim represents "Divine Wisdom

Maxi

Maxi,

This is a wonderful window, by renowned stain glass artist Christopher Whall, commemorating three brothers all killed in action during WW1.

I have been able to find a photograph of the window, and details relating to Rupert Edward Gascoyne Cecil, and I hope to also get the details on his two brothers, John Arthur and Randle William, plus hopefully, some photographs, and if any member has photographs of any of these three brothers, I hope they will post them.

Lieutenant Rupert Edward GASCOYNE-CECIL

4TH Bedfordshire Regiment

Date of birth: 20 January 1895

Date of death: 11 July 1915

Killed in action aged 20

Buried at 1 A 2 Railway Dugouts Burial Ground, Belgium.

Rupert Edward was born in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, the fourth son of The Revd Lord William Rupert Ernest Gascoyne-Cecil, a son of 3rd Marquis of Salisbury, and his wife Lady Florence Mary Booth Wilbraham, a daughter of 1st Earl of Lathom. His father was Rector of Hatfield and, from 1916-36, the Bishop of Exeter.

Educated at Westminster, he was up at Christ Church 1913-1914. During that year he rowed in the Torpids and was a keen campanologist. His name appears on the list of The Central Council of Church Bell Ringers memorial.

He joined the Public School Corps on the outbreak of war in August 1914 and obtained his commission in the 4th Bedfordshire Regiment on the 15th August, serving in France and Belgium.

He was killed in action near Ypres, on 11 July 1915 during a bombardment following the blowing up of a very large mine between the trenches by the Germans. He was buried close to the Ypres-Cominis Line in the Brigade Headquarters cemetery at the Railway Dugouts Burial Ground.

His commanding officer wrote “Your son was only with us, unfortunately, for a very short time, but he had endeared himself to all who knew him by his cheerfulness and soldierly qualities.” Captain Curtis also wrote “The Germans exploded a very large mine between two of our trenches about 7.15.p.m. and then shelled us, heavily. On hearing the explosion, your son immediately tried to get up to the fire trench of which he was in charge, but unfortunately he was struck on the head by a fragment of shell and was killed instantaneously. He was always beloved by all his fellow officers and above all by his men who had a great respect for him. We all feel the loss which the regiment has sustained by his death but we are proud he was doing his duty so nobly when he was killed. A good many men were stunned and confused by the explosion, but your son remained cool and met his death going to post.”

Two of his three brothers were also killed in action.

post-63666-0-78450900-1331087884.jpg

Rupert Edward was a bellringer, and is also commemorated on the roll of honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, kept at St Paul's Cathedral, and online version at http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/casualties/details.php?warID=1&casID=489674. There was also an obit and photo in the Ringing World

David,

Do you have a copy of Rupert Edward's photograph ?

In so far as I own a copy of the DVD of scanned issues of Ringing World, yes I have a copy (though looking over my notes again, I may have been mistaken that a photo was included in his case). However, I've not found it easy to extract the photos from the files - and the copyright and terms of use of the DVD also cause difficulties in reproducing it here in any case.

Looking over my notes, I see that in 1916 it was proposed to add 2 more bells to the ring (making it a ten) at Hatfield, and to dedicate them to his memory. Nothing seems to have happened until 1929, but UKNIWM does indicate that these bells are also in memory of Rupert, donated by his parents, and cast by Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel (see http://dove.cccbr.org.uk and http://www.ukniwm.org.uk ref35031)

War Memorial window in St Leonard's Church, Wollaton, Nottinghamshire, commemorating Lt. Col. James Cosmo Russell D.S.O. (1878-1917) killed at Ypres. The window, is another by renowned stained glass artist Christopher Whall, and depicts St. Michael and St. George. Whall also painted the Gascoyne-Cecil brothers' window shown previously.

post-63666-0-28697100-1331224922.jpg

Lt. Richard Arthur Lees Knowles

Lieutenant, 5th King's Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action near Salonika 24th February 1918 aged 19. Son of Arthur and Mildred Clare of Alvaston Hall, Nantwich. Commemorated on a window in St Mary the parish church of Nantwich and is buried at Struma Military Cemetery, Greece

post-63666-0-42494100-1331762799.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does this Regimental group photograph include Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson ?

Seems before Lt Col Wilson's time but some of B Company are there - Lt W W Brown on the right seated in a kilt. Not sure if the Pipe Major is Peter MacLeod later famous for composing Hugh Kennardy and the Conundrum

In St Michael's in Reepham Norfolk the East/Altar Window is commemerated to the fallen of the Great War as well as the Memorial to the Men of Hackford and Whitwell Parish

St. Augustine Church, Norwich.

Leonard Pert Memorial Window

One of the stained glass windows in the church is dedicated to Leonard Harry Pert who fell in France, May 3rd 1917

Name: PERT, LEONARD HARRY

Regiment: Rifle Brigade Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Service No: S/17986

Additional information: Son of Harry and Alice Pert, of 31, Pitt St., Norwich. A Schoolmaster under L.C.C.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 9. Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

post-63666-0-86760400-1332711476.jpg

In St Michael's in Reepham Norfolk the East/Altar Window is commemerated to the fallen of the Great War as well as the Memorial to the Men of Hackford and Whitwell Parish

Many thanks for the information, I shall research that window.

Seems before Lt Col Wilson's time but some of B Company are there - Lt W W Brown on the right seated in a kilt. Not sure if the Pipe Major is Peter MacLeod later famous for composing Hugh Kennardy and the Conundrum

Alastair,

Many thanks for the information, I shall keep researching and should I find the photograph, I shall let you know.

WAR MEMORIAL WINDOW - St. James, Heyshott, Sussex.

In Honoured memory of those who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918

14 local men lost in WW1 are recorded on a stained glass window in St. James's Church

There are 5 men buried in the Churchyard.

Sapper Richard Nutley is not included on the window, but is buried in the churchyard.

see headstone

The names of those recorded on the window are listed below :-

Private Ernest BOSWELL

Royal Army Medical Corps. Died of illness 2nd Aug 1920. Aged 37. Son of Harry & Sarah Boswell. Husband of Rose Elizabeth Boswell of Newells Cottage, Heyshot.

Born Cocking

Buried Heyshott Churchyard

Private Basil DAUGHTRY

Royal Sussex Regiment. India. Died of Influenza India 21st Oct 1918. Aged 33. Son of Mr & Mrs James Daughtry

Copse Cottage, Heyshott.

Born Heyshott.

Private Frank William DAUGHTRY

Royal Sussex Regiment. Died of enteric fever returning from Gallipoli on hospital ship, buried at sea 15th Oct 1915. Son of Mr & Mrs William Daughtry. Gardener to Mr Fisher-Unwin of "Oatscroft" Heyshott.

Born Heyshott.

Private Isaac ELLCOME

Royal Fusiliers.

Died of wounds 3rd May 1915.

Born Sutton, W. Sussex

Officers Cook

William E LOCKYEAR

H. M. Monitor No.15, RN. Died on active service Egypt 17th Feb 1917. Aged 22. Son of William & Madelaine Lockyear

The Cottage, School Lane, Heyshott.

Staff/Sgt. Walter MILES

Royal Army Service Corps. Died 25th Mar 1920. Aged 36. Son of John & Alice Miles.

Driver Frank SIMKIN

Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action 3rd Dec 1917. Aged 42. Enlisted Midhurst.

Rifleman Gilbert E. SMITH

London Regiment (Surrey Rifles). Killed in action near Arras 10th Dec 1917. Aged 34. Son of Charles William & Mary Faith Smith of Heyshott. Born Heyshott

Private Jethro WEST

Royal Sussex Regiment. Died of Gas 14th Feb 1919. Aged 41. Son of James & Jane West. Husband of Mabel West of Heyshott.

Born Heyshott.

Rifleman Herbert George WRAPSON

The Rifle Brigade. Died 14th Jul 1917.

Son of Mr & Mrs George Wrapson 132, Coldharbour Lane, Heyshott.

Rifleman George HONEYBUN

Rifle Brigade. 4th Division. Killed in action at Ypres 13th Oct 1917.

Private Edmund BATCHELOR

Royal Sussex Regiment. Died of wounds

Egypt 10th Nov 1917. Aged 22.

Son of Edmund & Fanny Batchelor Brickyard Cottage, Ebernoe

Private Hugh Frank BEER

Royal Sussex Regiment. Killed in action on the Somme 17th Aug 1916. Regular soldier.

Born Felpham

Sapper Richard NUTLEY

Royal Engineers. Died at home 7th Jul 1919. Aged 36. Son of Richard & Elizabeth Nutley of Hoyle Lane, Heyshott.

Not on Memorial Window

post-63666-0-64072200-1332992554.jpg

St Mary's Church, Guildford, WW1 war memorial stained glass window to Lieutenant John Huleatt Brownrigg.

Lieutenant John Huleatt Brownrigg, Norfolk Regiment.

Killed in action, in the Persian Gulf on April 14th, 1915.

Elder son of the late Lieut-Colonel Henry John Watt Brownrigg, R.E., and the late Evelyn Brownrigg.

R.M.C., Sandhurst, 1912.

Lieutenant Brownrigg was gazetted to the Norfolk Regiment in 1913. In October, 1914, he joined the Battalion of his Regiment which was serving in Belgium, but left the following month for Basra. He was killed in action on April 14th, 1915.

Colonel ( now General ) Peebles wrote to his grandfather :-

" He was a very good lad and would have made a good soldier, had it not been willed otherwise. Your grandson was instantaneously killed during the attack on the Turks at Shaiba ".

Lieutenant J. H. Brownrigg - Norfolk Regiment.

post-63666-0-35793700-1333041296.jpg

post-63666-0-01563100-1333041393.jpg

This window is dedicated in loving memory of Sydney Percival GAMON

Captain, 5th Battalion Cheshire Regiment, Pilot of the Royal Flying Corps who was killed whilst

engaged in the aerial defence of London March 23rd 1918 aged 23.

Son of John Percival and Margaret Alice Gamon,of Leighton Banastre, Parkgate, Cheshire.

Buried at Neston Cemetery, Cheshire

This window is in the Cloisters of Chester Cathedral

post-24132-0-13940100-1333779715.jpg

I'm heading up to God's own county for a few days, and have an appointment to photograph the two windows to the fallen at St John the Evangelist church in Greengates. I'll probably not be posting the images until I am back home the following week.

Keith

Lieutenant, Royal Air Force 57th Squadron, attached to the 6th Sherwood Foresters, killed in action 26th September 1918 aged 27. Son of John I & Eliza of Avondale Road, Chesterfield. This window is in Chesterfield St Mary and All Saints church and is also commemorated on the Arras Flying Services Memorial, France

post-24132-0-14932400-1333780496.jpg

CHARLTON ABBOTTS - WAR MEMORIAL

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

Located within the parish church, St Martin

To the glorious memory of those men connected with this parish who gave their lives for their country in the Great War

1914-1918

SIMPSON James Pte 14941 Grenadier Guards, died 27/10/1914. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

MEIKLE Alan John Brian 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Air Force, accidentally killed 5 August 1918 age 18. Son of James & Elizabeth of Cotehay Farm, Charlton Abbotts. Buried in the St Martin churchyard, Charlton Abbotts

NORRIS Ernest Gordon Pte 203049, 5th Highland Light Infantry died 17/4/1917 age 25. Son of Thomas & Mary Ann of Brockhampton, Glos. Buried in Deir Belah War Cemetery, Israel

post-24132-0-89017100-1333781344.jpg

May I ask a somewhat tangential question? Did stained glass artisans sign their work in any way? I ask because my great grandfather made stained glass windows like these in Exeter, and I often wondered if we would ever be able to determine if any of his work still survives.

-Daniel

May I ask a somewhat tangential question? Did stained glass artisans sign their work in any way? I ask because my great grandfather made stained glass windows like these in Exeter, and I often wondered if we would ever be able to determine if any of his work still survives.

-Daniel

Daniel,

I am sure many stained glass window painters signed their work, as most artists would do on a painting, drawing or sculpture, and some of the windows in this thread are attributed to certain named artists.

If you would like to post your great grandfather's name, I am sure myself and others will keep a lookout for his work.

Regards,

LF

Daniel,

I am sure many stained glass window painters signed their work, as most artists would do on a painting, drawing or sculpture, and some of the windows in this thread are attributed to certain named artists.

If you would like to post your great grandfather's name, I am sure myself and others will keep a lookout for his work.

Regards,

LF

Certainly. His name is Walter Emmanuel Harold Gale, born 07 APR 1863 in Exeter, England.

-Daniel

I don't think his stained glass memorial window has been added to the tread.

The window is to the memory of all those who served in the Leinster regiment. Window is located in St. Brendan's Church in Birr and as far as I am aware it is the only War memorial in a Catholic church in Ireland.

Window.jpg

Window2.jpg

P2090753.jpg

See here for footage of the unveiling of the memorial http://www.britishpathe.com/video/stained-glass-window-unveiled-in-ireland/query/birr

Stephen