Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

St Oswalds Church, Askrigg, Yorkshire

Private William Banks 41035, East Yorkshire regiment killed 10th September 1918 aged 19. Son of William and Margaret of Cringley, Askrigg, Yorkshire. He is buried at Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery, Nord France.

post-63666-0-28624200-1329412181.jpg

Chester Cathedral Cloisters.

Lt. Colonel Edward Townhend LOGAN, D.S.O, 3rd Cheshire Regiment who fell gloriously at Loos September 26th 1915 aged 49 in command of Battalion of 15th Durham Light Infantry.

In grateful remembrance for his example

Son of Edward and Emily Logan; husband of Hilda Logan, of 21, King Street, Chester.

Served in the South African War, twice mentioned in Despatches.

Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France

post-63666-0-03715000-1329508947.jpg

Does anyone have a photograph of Lt. Colonel Edward Townhend LOGAN, D.S.O, ?

I would appreciate a copy.

Many thanks.

LF

There is a very fine memorial glass to a Lieut. Kirby, DLI, at Ainderby Steeple, North Yorks - follow this link.

Wainfleet,

Apert from being a wonderful window, I am sure the likeness shown is that of Lt. Kirby himself. Do you know if a photograph of him exists ?

Regards,

Leo

post-63666-0-48845300-1329958443.jpg

I thought the same thing, it looks as if done from a photo, but I don't know anything about the window or Lieut. Kirby. It certainly is a high-quality piece of stained glass. (Ypres Cathedral is in the background.)

Charles Belfield and Walter John Salt

Their Memorial Window in St John's Church, Elkstone, Staffordshire

Charles Belfield, Ordinary Seaman SS/6903, H.M.S. Queen Mary died 31st May 1916 aged 20. Son of Joseph and Ann of Strines Farm, Upper Hulme near Leek Staffordshire. Commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, Hampshire.

Walter John Salt, Gunner 151319, 112th heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery died 2nd November 1918 aged 24. Husband of Hannah Maria [now Phillips] of Clough Head, Warslow, and is buried at St Lawrence churchyard, Warslow, Staffordshire.

post-63666-0-66888300-1330263476.jpg

This WW1 Memorial Window is situated in St Mary's the parish church of Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, and depicts uniformed members of the Army, Navy, Airforce, and Nurses.

post-63666-0-92360500-1330487187.jpg

The First World War Memorial Window to the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Air Force in St Georges Church, Ypres, Belgium.

post-63666-0-51880100-1330664138.jpg

St Mary's Church in Maldon has some fine stained glass windows, one of these commemorating the dead of WW1. I have been unable to find an image online.

The John Wesley Chapel at 49 City Road, London, EC1Y 1AU also has a superb stained glass window to the fallen which really knocked me sideways when I chanced across it during a lunch break about twenty years ago. This is well worth a visit if you happen to be in the City. I have found a detail on flickr: memorial to the fallen

Does anyone have a photograph of Lt. Colonel Edward Townhend LOGAN, D.S.O, ?

I would appreciate a copy.

Many thanks.

LF

If you would like a copy of his photo and details please PM me your email address.

Robert

St Mary's Church in Maldon has some fine stained glass windows, one of these commemorating the dead of WW1. I have been unable to find an image online.

The John Wesley Chapel at 49 City Road, London, EC1Y 1AU also has a superb stained glass window to the fallen which really knocked me sideways when I chanced across it during a lunch break about twenty years ago. This is well worth a visit if you happen to be in the City. I have found a detail on flickr: memorial to the fallen

Paul,

Many thanks for the information on this Wesley Chapel memorial window, it is wonderful, very moving and poignant. I am glad I was able to find a photo on line.

Regards,

Leo

post-63666-0-17785600-1330779770.jpg

Robert,

I tried without success to send PM, is your mailbox full ?

I have just cleared about 40 odd entries--so there should be loads of room now :thumbsup: I hope!!

I have now deleted all but one message-- so can't really do any more unless you have any ideas.

Previously you used to be able to see how much freespace was available in your inbox--now I have absolutely no idea and can't see where to find same?

Robert

What works for me, is clicking on my name at the top right and going to "my messages". That then shows the capacity used.

I'll send you a test PM

Keith

Edit test message sent -

Robert

What works for me, is clicking on my name at the top right and going to "my messages". That then shows the capacity used.

I'll send you a test PM

Keith

Edit test message sent -

Thanks Keith.:thumbsup:

The John Wesley Chapel at 49 City Road, London, EC1Y 1AU also has a superb stained glass window to the fallen which really knocked me sideways when I chanced across it during a lunch break about twenty years ago. This is well worth a visit if you happen to be in the City. I have found a detail on flickr: http://www.flickr.co...ssa/4050222901/

You are quite right Paul - it is a moving depiction by Messrs. W. Pearce and E. Cutler (1922). There is another window in All Saints, Maldon, to Lieut. Cecil Bright (KIA 1918) and a fantastic image of St. George in the church at Heybridge Basin that has the face of Lieutenant Bentall (KIA 1915).

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Virtual-Tour/The-South-Aisle.html

Lt Col John Boyd Wilson 7th Scottish Rifles at Dunblane Cathedral

Alastair,

Dunblane Cathedral, Perthshire - window depicts St. George and Hope.

This is another excellent window, to an obviously brave man. I have not seen too many reports of a high ranking officer, a Lt. Col., killed whilst actually leading the charge, as Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson did at Gallipoli.

I was able to find an extract ( previously posted ) from the diary of the 1/7th Cameronian for the 28th June 1915, detailing his death.

" Attack. Battn. in Bde Reserve. Battalion provided fatigue parties nearly all night of 27th-28th (See Appendix I & II) bringing up ammunition to forward S.A.A. Dumps. Parties were also detailed to bring up scaling ladders & planks of timber from GULLY RAVINE to the forward trenches. One of these parties under CAPT. R. JOHNSTONE was caught in the Ravine by enemy shrapnel shell-fire & suffered 3 casualties (wounded). At 11am however, the Battalion was in its allotted position. Soon after 11am the Batt. was sent forward to reinforce the assaulting party & their local reserves who had failed to capture the whole of their objective. 3 Platoons of A Coy & 2 Platoons of D Coy charged, gaining their objective in the Turks front line, part of H12a, A Coy with scarcely a casualty though D Coy suffered heavily from rifle, machine gun & shrapnel fire. Later, B Coy charged to take H12, but were caught by a battery of Turkish machine guns situated in their support lines behind H12 & only 50 men survived. LIEUT. COLONEL J.B. WILSON was killed while leading B Coy in the charge. Posted as missing, but his body was recovered some months later & buried behind our lines. "

I was also able to find a fine Regimental group photograph ( previously posted ) which may include Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson ? Perhaps yourself or some other member can confirm this.

Regards,

Leo

Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson's Memorial Window and Gallipoli grave marker.

post-63666-0-91692200-1330920414.jpg

post-63666-0-22530700-1330920527.jpg

Lt Archibald Trotter Coldstream Guards at Barton Hartshorn

Alastair,

As you know, Lt. Archibald Trotter's fine Memorial Window, and Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson's Memorial were both the work ( compare the images of St. George ) of the well known and highly regarded stained glass artist Louis Davis, 1860-1941. Louis Davis was also a Watercolourist, and book-illustrator.

Lt. Archibald Trotter, Coldsteam Guards, was killed in action in 1914. He was the son of Colonel Trotter, owner of Barton Hartshorn manor which a Sir Robert Lorimer (1864-1929), Scottish architect and garden designer, had earlier been engaged to restore. Sir Robert Lorimer and Louis Davis had previously worked on several joint projects in Scotland, particularly the Thistle Chapel at St Giles’ cathedral in Edinburgh. It is therefore likely that Louis Davis obtained the commission for Lt. Archibald Trotter's Memorial Window through Sir Robert Lorimer's association with Colonel Trotter.

post-63666-0-33775100-1330923168.jpg

Certainly 7th Scottish Rifles but probably an earlier photograph as the OIC is older than Lt Col Wilson and he does not feature. Only a small number of these officers were there at Gallipoli so not surewen and where this was taken - thanks

Alastair,

Dunblane Cathedral, Perthshire - window depicts St. George and Hope.

This is another excellent window, to an obviously brave man. I have not seen too many reports of a high ranking officer, a Lt. Col., killed whilst actually leading the charge, as Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson did at Gallipoli.

I was able to find an extract ( previously posted ) from the diary of the 1/7th Cameronian for the 28th June 1915, detailing his death.

" Attack. Battn. in Bde Reserve. Battalion provided fatigue parties nearly all night of 27th-28th (See Appendix I & II) bringing up ammunition to forward S.A.A. “Dumps”. Parties were also detailed to bring up scaling ladders & planks of timber from GULLY RAVINE to the forward trenches. One of these parties under CAPT. R. JOHNSTONE was caught in the Ravine by enemy shrapnel shell-fire & suffered 3 casualties (wounded). At 11am however, the Battalion was in its allotted position. Soon after 11am the Batt. was sent forward to reinforce the assaulting party & their local reserves who had failed to capture the whole of their objective. 3 Platoons of “A” Coy & 2 Platoons of “D” Coy charged, gaining their objective in the Turks front line, part of H12a, “A” Coy with scarcely a casualty though “D” Coy suffered heavily from rifle, machine gun & shrapnel fire. Later, “B” Coy charged to take H12, but were caught by a battery of Turkish machine guns situated in their support lines behind H12 & only 50 men survived. LIEUT. COLONEL J.B. WILSON was killed while leading “B” Coy in the charge. Posted as missing, but his body was recovered some months later & buried behind our lines. "

I was also able to find a fine Regimental group photograph ( previously posted ) which may include Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson ? Perhaps yourself or some other member can confirm this.

Regards,

Leo

Lt. Col. John Boyd Wilson's Memorial Window and Gallipoli grave marker.

Looking at the above, the artist Louis Davis was responsible for many stained glass windows around the UK after the Great War and used the themes of Faith, Hope and Charity as well as St George to commemorate soldiers who had died, examples being at Dunblane Cathedral where Lt Col John Boyd Wilson of the Scottish Rifles is commemorated and at Barton Hartshorn where Lt Archibald Trotter of the Coldstream Guards seemingly have identical windows. Davis obtained glass from Whitefriars Glass of London, formerly James Powell & Sons and was clearly very active. Does anyone have any ideas where further information might be found in relation to the commissioning of this work, or any knowledge of other examples of his stained glass windows used as war memorials in the UK or abroad?