Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

Another church dedicated to St Barnabas, Mossley Hill, Liverpool (at the end of Penny Lane) has a well-populated east window with representations of soldiers, at least one nurse, clerics and full supporting cast. I will try for a photo but it needs good light from outside, so a bright day will be necessary.

The soldiers include one in a kilt (Liverpool Scottish?), one bandaged and one on a crutch in hospital blue, and a drummer. The IWM listing says that there is an explanatory panel near the window which I shall look for.

There is also a plaque with names of the fallen, rather tucked away at the back of the church and I think a separate tribute to those of the parish who served. [1939-45 is also marked in some way.]

D

• 2 weeks later...

Following post #326, I have not yet been able to capture a shot of the window (no sunshine!) but I was allowed access to the key numbered plan of the design of the east window. I will not list here the various Old and New Testament and other religious figures but the following may be of interest here, as they are listed on the plan:

Man of British Navy

Merchant Service Boy

Soldier, King's Lpool

VAD Hospital orderly

VAD Nurse

BRCS Doctor

Wounded & blind soldier

Man Royal Air Service[sic]

Wounded man in bed

Army sister

Liverpool Scottish

Kings Lpool drummer

Colonial soldier

These figures are assembled in the three lower central panels (of five), and the main dedication reads:

TO THE GLORY OF GOD THIS WINDOW IS ERECTED TO THE / MEMORY OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-19.

The window was designed and executed by H.G. Hiller of Liverpool.

Daggers

• 1 month later...

Whilst researching the names of the men from Ilkley West Yorks who died in WW1 came across three men who had strained glass windows dedicated to their memory.

The first is in St James Church Castle Eden, County Durham in memory of Lieutenant John Hutchinson Tristram 1st battalion Worcestershire Regiment KIA 11.3.15 He was born in Ilkley but his family moved back to County Durham. They had a lot of church connections and his father commanded 13th Yorkshire Regiment for a time. Unfortunately, I have never been able to get a photo of it but a newspaper described it "..window portrays the figure of an angel bearing a wreath of laurel leaves and a dead officer in khaki." Apparently, the face of the officer is a likeness of John Tristram.

the second is for Ernest Conway Lansdale 2nd Lieutenant ASC attached RFC. He was shot down over Bapaume 30th Sept 1916. what wasn't known at the time was that he was a victim of Manfred Von Richthoven, 'The Red Baron.' Although, he had spent most of his life in Ilkley he was born in Goole and his parents dedicated a window at St John the Evangelist Parish Church. The image is apparently a photograph engraved onto the glass and is very rare.

The third is 2nd Lt Alan Herbert Hardy Royal East Kent Yeomanry attached RFC who died in a flying accident at Glamis Castle 14th October 1915. His mother dedicated a stained glass window at Chilham parish Church Kent

The biographies of these men are on Ilkley Remembers Facebook page. There are pictures of the windows for Hardy and lansdale. I would post them here but sadly I haven't worked out yet how to post them

St margarets Church in Ilkley also has a stained class window dedicated to the allied leaders of WW1

I hope that this works, a picture of the Lansdale window in Goolepost-127194-0-08226400-1458325992_thumb.

Thanks Andy, that's one of the picture that I tried to upload but obviously failed miserably. It is certainly an impressive memorial window and deserves to be better known than it is. Keep up the good work in Keighley

I hope that this works, a picture of the Lansdale window in Gooleattachicon.gif9aa-lt-ernest-conway-lansdale-2.jpg

Memorial windows to men from the Royal Flying Corps seem to be quite rare, and the quality of this window's painting is superb, as is clearly seen in Andy's post.

Apparently, Lt. Ernest Lansdale who was just 21 years old, was one of the ' Red Baron's ' victims.

Regards,

LF

Memorial windows to men from the Royal Flying Corps seem to be quite rare, and the quality of this window's painting is superb, as is clearly seen in Andy's post.

Apparently, Lt. Ernest Lansdale who was just 21 years old, was one of the ' Red Baron's ' victims.

Regards,

LF

Yes, Lansdale was the third of the Red Barons victims. His observer was Albert Clarkson b Burnley but living in Blackpool. The two are buried side by side at Bancourt Communal Cemetery. The full story is on Ilkley Remembers facebook page

• 3 months later...

A stained glass window at St.Michael's, Nether wasdale. Cumbria to 4 men of the parish.

Picture9.jpg

Window dedicated to Nurse Dorothy Fisher VAD, at St Barnabas, Setmurthy Cumbria.

DSC_0170.jpg

Carlisle cathedral memorial window to the 34th foot of the Border Regiment.

Picture4.jpg

St James Church. Carlisle WW2 window.

Picture1.jpg

Memorial window, in St Mary's Catholic Church, to the Boer War and WW1 Fallen of Brewood, Staffordshire.

DSC06348.jpg

DSC06351.jpg

DSC06352.jpg

DSC06353.jpg

22 hours ago, deacs said:

A stained glass window at St.Michael's, Nether wasdale. Cumbria to 4 men of the parish.

deacs,

The quality of the painting on these windows never ceases to amaze me, they are excellent.

Regards,

LF

Window dedicated to Nurse Dorothy Fisher VAD, at St Barnabas, Setmurthy Cumbria.

deacs,

I think this is the first woman whose memorial stained glass window has been posted here, and how nice that they have used her actual face in the painting, quite a rarity.

Regards,

LF

Carlisle cathedral memorial window to the 34th foot of the Border Regiment.

St James Church. Carlisle WW2 window.

deacs,

Two more excellent stained glass windows.

Regards,

LF

14 minutes ago, BereniceUK said:

Memorial window, in St Mary's Catholic Church, to the Boer War and WW1 Fallen of Brewood, Staffordshire.

BereniceUK,

When I started this Thread back in January 2012, it seemed as though stained glass memorial windows using the actual facial images of the fallen may be rarer, fortunately, that is not the case, and again your photographs show some superb images which are probably of six actual men from the town of Brewood commemorated in the window.

Regards,

LF

1 hour ago, Lancashire Fusilier said:

BereniceUK,

When I started this Thread back in January 2012, it seemed as though stained glass memorial windows using the actual facial images of the fallen may be rarer, fortunately, that is not the case, and again your photographs show some superb images which are probably of six actual men from the town of Brewood commemorated in the window.

Regards,

LF

This is one of my favourites; the right-hand light, in St Chrysostom's Church, Victoria Park, Manchester, has a plaque below, with the dedication:-

To the Glory of God and in Memory of
HARRY WARHURST
Pte. 5th Batt. Royal Highlanders. Killed in Action in France. 9th Aug. 1915. Aged 24 years.

HAROLD BOWN WARHURST
Pte. 15th Batt. Royal Scots. Killed in Action in France. 1st July 1916. Aged 20 years.

this Window is Dedicated by their Loving Parents.

DSC03458.jpg

DSC03461.jpg

19 hours ago, BereniceUK said:

This is one of my favourites;

BereniceUK,

I can see why this would be one of your favourites, a beautiful and very poignant memorial window from parents who lost two young sons in just eleven months.

Regards,

LF

Cousins, I think.

I'm sure I've seen the central picture before, does anyone know who the original artist was?

DSC03457.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fort Massey Presbyterian Church, Halifax, Nova Scotia.

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4502.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

St Michaels and All Angels, Braydestone, Norfolk.

Braydestone Great War Memorial Window

The dedication reads " To the Glory of GOD and in grateful memory of those from this Parish who gave their lives for their Country in the Great War 1914-1918.

William Walter Beck. Arthur Hammond Cole. Charles Edwin Mason. Walter Herbert Geffery Meire"

Not sure if you have this but the memorial window to four soldiers from Hellidon Northamptonshire captured beautifully here at 

Northamptonshire, Hellidon