Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

This memorial window is located in the church of Great St Mary, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire and is dedicated to the fallen in World War One

post-24132-0-02593300-1334471236.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This superb window can be seen at St Peter's Church, Yoxall, Staffordshire. Had the artist served at the Front, I wonder?

post-89807-0-06195800-1336389448.jpg

post-89807-0-76314300-1336389955.jpg

• 2 months later...

St Michael's church Oxford City

To the glory of God and in memory of the members of this Church (St Michael) and Parish who served, suffered and gave their lives in the Great War

post-24132-0-78542300-1342694660_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Major, Berrisford Arthur Jardine HAVELOCK, 7th North Staffordshire Regiment. Born 10th October 1889 and was killed in action at Baku, Caspian Sea 14th September 1918. Son of George Broadfoot and Ann Helen and husband of Kathleen Margaret, nee Smith. Mentioned in despatches. Commemorated on the Baku Memorial, Azerbaijan.

This memorial window is in St Edmund's church, Fenny Bentley, Derbyshire

post-24132-0-52378000-1343595756_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, there is a stained Glass window in the museum of the Manchester Regiment in Ashton-Under-Lyne.

It honours 2nd Lt Edward Worsley Westbook who fell at Gallipoli. Not sure about its previous location but it is free standing so it may have been removed from a demolished church?.

If anyone want's a picture them PM me.

• 6 months later...

Beeley St Anne's Derbyshire WW1 Memorial Window

post-24132-0-34224200-1362668954_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

The parish church of St Anne, Aigburth in Liverpool has a window depicting St George, with the following text at its foot:

'Sacred to the memory of parishioners, members of the/ congregation and others connected with this Church/ who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the Great War/ 1914-1918. Their name liveth forevermore.'

It is awkwardly placed for photography but I will have another attempt. In another part of the church is a memorial plaque bearing some 80 names from WW1, and a modern one for WW2. There is also an inscribed volume of WW1 names which has a number of differences from the wall plaque.

You can see an example of a modern window here http://www.wilfredow...ials/birkenhead the Wilfred Owen Memorial Window in Birkenhead Central Library, it was unveiled in 1995 and is very beautiful.

And here is a photo :

post-41657-0-15624900-1371974338_thumb.j

BillyH.

• 1 month later...

This window is in Christ Church, Toxteth Park,Liverpool.(edited to correct address!) Not the best picture but the best I could manage!

P8040361

memorial window dedication

This window is also in Christ Church, Toxteth Park, Liverpool. Closeups of the text included.

EDWARD MOLYNEUX COHAN

EDWARD MOLYNEUX COHAN

EDWARD MOLYNEUX COHAN

EDWARD MOLYNEUX COHAN

With respect, as they say in court, Christ Church is in Toxteth Park, not Aigburth. ( I have tried snapping brasses there.)

There is a sad story told by the Cohan window. Henry was an officer in the TF, at camp when war was declared and the TF mobilised. In the chaos of many units jockeying for space to line up for return via train to their home bases, he fell from his horse and died of injuries, so becoming one of the earliest war casualties.

A brother, serving in the ranks of the RGA, was among the last, dying in November 1918 in Ceylon (Sri Lanka).

D

With respect, as they say in court, Christ Church is in Toxteth Park, not Aigburth.

You are (of course) correct Daggers, the church is Christ Church Toxteth Park.

Surely the address, being L17, is Aigburth though,as Toxteth Park no longer exists as an area of Liverpool? Not disputing, just trying to understand :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

This window is in Childwall Parish Church, Liverpool (All Saints) and commemorates Lieut Montague F. Ainslie, 12th (S) Bn, King's Liverpool Regiment, son of the vicar of that time. It is sited on stairs leading to the organ gallery at the back of the church.

Sorry, pic may be too big. Watch this space.

Theodora Salusbury sister to Lt John Thelwell Salusbury, and a modestly well known artist completed this window 'the parable of the talents' at All Saints church in Kimcote after his death in 1946, so not truly a great war memorial but a well executed piece remembering a soldier who served with 293 siege battery.

http://293siegebattery.webplus.net/R.pdf

I'll try to pst the picture later but for now if one opens the link an scrolls down to the entry from Salusbury its there.

Beeley St Anne's Derbyshire WW1 Memorial Window

Memorialhunter,

More excellent memorial windows, and one of the few to show the SMLE rifle.

Regards,

LF

Edward Frampton signed his stained glass window paintings with both his monogram and name.

Do you know how his son Edward Reginald Frampton signed his window(s)?

Do you know how his son Edward Reginald Frampton signed his window(s)?

ReephamWW1,

Edward Reginald Frampton ( 1872-1923 ) was not as prolific a stained glass painter as was his father Edward Frampton, and Edward Reginald had a very distinctive Pre-Raphaelite style of painting.

I was able to find an example of a stained glass window painted by Edward Reginald in St. Mary's Plumtree ( Southwell & Nottingham ) and attach a photograph of that window. Unfortunately, his signature on that window is not clearly shown.

I did however find another another painting by Edward Reginald of St. Catherine, which is painted in the style of a stained glass window, and you can see in the bottom left of the painting his signature as it would probably appear on his stained glass works.

He always signed his paintings as ' E Reginald Frampton ' and again I have attached some examples. Also shown is his painting ' Brittany 1914 '.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-42733600-1377432044_thumb.j

post-63666-0-26264200-1377432058_thumb.j

post-63666-0-65970100-1377432078_thumb.j

post-63666-0-79581800-1377432099_thumb.j

post-63666-0-00688200-1377432116_thumb.j

A memorial window in St. Peter's Church, Goldhanger ( Near Maldon ) Essex to John Sydney Wakelin of the 10th Bn. Essex Regiment, killed in action at Rouen Wood on March 24, 1918, a local man.

What is also very interesting, is back in WW1., Goldhanger would have been a very small village, however, it also had a R.F.C. Airfield (drawing attached ).

LF

WW1 Goldhanger Airfield.

LF

post-63666-0-79891900-1378051993_thumb.j

post-63666-0-21852000-1378052017_thumb.j

post-63666-0-96578300-1378052036_thumb.g

post-63666-0-15714300-1378052148_thumb.j

ReephamWW1,

Edward Reginald Frampton ( 1872-1923 ) was not as prolific a stained glass painter as was his father Edward Frampton, and Edward Reginald had a very distinctive Pre-Raphaelite style of painting.

I was able to find an example of a stained glass window painted by Edward Reginald in St. Mary's Plumtree ( Southwell & Nottingham ) and attach a photograph of that window. Unfortunately, his signature on that window is not clearly shown.

I did however find another another painting by Edward Reginald of St. Catherine, which is painted in the style of a stained glass window, and you can see in the bottom left of the painting his signature as it would probably appear on his stained glass works.

He always signed his paintings as ' E Reginald Frampton ' and again I have attached some examples. Also shown is his painting ' Brittany 1914 '.

Regards,

LF

Many thanks for that i knew he wasn't a prolific stained glass artist but lots of paintings etc nice to know St Michael's Reepham isn't the only one!

• 5 weeks later...

CROPTON St GREGORY MEMORIAL WINDOW, YORKSHIRE

In grateful memory of the men of Cropton who gave their lives for us in the Great War 1914 - 1919

Compiled with additional information by the kind permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

ROBERTS, John (Unable to find the correct record listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission)

BARKER, James William , Private 251837, 1/6th Durham Light Infantry died 2nd October 1918. Born in Cropton and lived in Pickering with his widowed father, John, his mother, Ester, had died prior to 1911 both in Yorkshire. he was the son of John and Ester. In 1911 he was away form his home He is at rest in Niederzwehren Cemetery, Hessen Germany

SMITHSON, Thomas Harker, Private 21326 13th Yorkshire Regiment killed in action13th April 1918. He was the son of James and Elizabeth. Native of Crompton and is at rest in Le Grand Beaumart British Cemetery, Steenwerck, Nord France

BARKER, Herbert Cecil, Private 39736, 1st East Yorkshire Regiment. He was the son of John and Ester. In 1911 his widowed father was living with his James William in Pickering, Yorkshire. he was bording at Birdsall Yorkshire and working as a groom on a stud farm. He was the brother of James William. He is commemorated on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

post-24132-0-58373500-1380742376_thumb.j

CROPTON St GREGORY MEMORIAL WINDOW, YORKSHIRE

A particularly fine rendering of St. George.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

LF

Church of St Margaret, Paston, Norfolk.

Memorial window to Lt Commander Ralph M. Mack, son of Hugh Paston Mack and his wife, Blanch Elizabeth.

Surviving the actions of Heligoland (1914) and Dogger Bank ( 1915), he was killed in action when a mine off the Dutch coast, close to Rotterdam, sank his vessel, HMS Tornado, along with two other R class British destroyers on December 23rd 1917, this being one of the worst nights for the British Royal Navy, when 3 Destroyers ( all new ) were sunk.

HMS Torrent was the first to hit a German mine, HMS Surprise went to assist and was also mined, and as HMS Tornado tried to get clear, she detonated two mines and sank with only one survivor. Only HMS Radiant got home. A total of 252 men were lost that night.wreck.gif
The photographs show, the memorial window and details of the window's three panels which include the artist's rendering of HMS Tornado, and a flock of geese.
LF

post-63666-0-38113400-1380888056_thumb.j

post-63666-0-88492500-1380888088_thumb.j

post-63666-0-27445100-1380888106_thumb.j

post-63666-0-18450200-1380888188_thumb.j