Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

When I next make it to Yorkshire I'll try to capture the window at St John's Greengates to 2/Lt Arthur Victor Skevington, KOYLI, KIA 25/09/1916.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I was most interested to hear of this window because A.V.Skevington is an old boy of Giggleswick School. I must try and visit the church with my camera, unless you beat me to it!!

Regards, Robert

Pte Arthur Holland De Boeck 2nd Bn HAC Killed at Reutel Oct 9th 1917 19 years old

Memorial windom at St. Peters, Edmonton, Londen

post-61729-0-41318100-1328130918.jpg

Window was recently restored with the financial help of the HAC and yours truly, but I haven't found the time to go there (I live in Antwerp Belgium)

Another window which I found whilst researching some of my collection is to the Rylands brothers and is situated in Holyrood Church, Swinton, Manchester. The window is in the form of two single lights with a brass plaque mounted on the wall between them. The left light depicts St George who quite clearly has the face of Reginald Victor Rylands and the right light depicts St ?? who quite clearly has the face of Harold Bertram Rylands. Each light has the relevant regimental badge and inscription:

Left hand Light: "To the Glory of God and in Remembrance of Reginald Victor Rylands who fell in action at the Dardanelles 29th May, 1915."

Brass Plaque: "These two windows were dedicated in Loving Remembrance of Reginald Victor Rylands, Captain in the 1/7th Battn. of the Manchester Regt., who served in the Sudan, Egypt and the Dardanelles, and of Harold Bertram Rylands, Lieutenant in the 16th Battn. of the Lancashire Fusiliers, who served in France. They were the only sons of Richard Walter Rylands and Mary Elizabeth his wife of Ashburn Lodge, Worsley."

Right hand Light: "To the Glory of God and in Remembrance of Harold Bertram Rylands who fell in action in France 23rd November, 1916."

Robert

Hi Keith

My understanding is that it is not allowed to show in a stained glass window in a Church any figure that can be identified as an individual person.

When comparing the photo in Post 26 (which shows 2/Lt Hellyer and his mother) with the actual window in the church itself, then it is very obvious that the glazier was working from a photograph to produce the facial features so that the figure is clearly recognisible as being 2/Lt Hellyer. Obviously this must have been provided by Hellyer's family and I assume by the Mother. He was clearly a much loved Son and his grave, which is in white marble is one of the largest in the Churchyard itself.

Best regards

Peter4447

Hi Peter,

Thankyou very much for the clear information. I had not known about that.

Kind regards, Keith.

This beautiful Arts & Craft styled 1920s window was designed by Karl Parsons. At its centre is a superb figure of St George. It honours the memory and bravery of Captain Frank Reginald Beck & the Norfolk Regiment.

" Frank Beck (3rd May 1861 12th August 1915) was a Land Agent on the Kings Sandringham Estate. He was instrumental in the formation of the Sandringham Company of Volunteers in 1906 which included grooms, gardeners and household staff from the Estate. On the 12th August 1915 Beck led his company on an attack at Suvla Bay in the Dardanelles when he and most of his comrades were slaughtered."

post-63666-0-77362100-1328135140.jpg

Robert

I have a few press cutting copied re Skevington. His former home still exists just on the other side of Apperley Bridge. His bother survived the war but had been wounded. The church seems to be locked most of the time, so it is probably necessary to make an appointment.

Keith

Another window which I found whilst researching some of my collection is to the Rylands brothers and is situated in Holyrood Church, Swinton, Manchester. The window is in the form of two single lights with a brass plaque mounted on the wall between them. The left light depicts St George who quite clearly has the face of Reginald Victor Rylands and the right light depicts St ?? who quite clearly has the face of Harold Bertram Rylands. Each light has the relevant regimental badge and inscription:

Left hand Light: "To the Glory of God and in Remembrance of Reginald Victor Rylands who fell in action at the Dardanelles 29th May, 1915."

Brass Plaque: "These two windows were dedicated in Loving Remembrance of Reginald Victor Rylands, Captain in the 1/7th Battn. of the Manchester Regt., who served in the Sudan, Egypt and the Dardanelles, and of Harold Bertram Rylands, Lieutenant in the 16th Battn. of the Lancashire Fusiliers, who served in France. They were the only sons of Richard Walter Rylands and Mary Elizabeth his wife of Ashburn Lodge, Worsley."

Right hand Light: "To the Glory of God and in Remembrance of Harold Bertram Rylands who fell in action in France 23rd November, 1916."

Robert

Robert,

Many thanks for the interesting information on the Ryland brothers. I was able to find the following information on Lieutenant Harold B. Ryland, Lancashire Fusiliers, and would be extremely interested in see their commemorative Memorial Window.

2nd Lieutenant Harold Bertram RYLANDS

16th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers (2nd Salford Pals)

Date of birth: 18th of April 1895

Date of death: 23rd of November 1916

Killed in action aged 21

Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial Panel and Face 3C and 3D

Harold Bertram Rylands was born at Eccles in Lancashire on the 18th of April 1895 the second son of Richard Walter Rylands, a solicitor, and Mary Elizabeth (nee Isherwood) Rylands of Ashburn Lodge, Worsley in Manchester.

He was educated at All Saints School Bloxham near Banbury from 1905 to 1909 and at Lancing College where he was in Olds House from September 1909, in News House from September 1910 and in Fields House from September to December 1912. He was a member of the Officer Training Corps for three years while he was at the College.

On leaving school he went on to Manchester University where he was a member of the University Officer Training Corps.

On leaving university he joined Messrs. David Smith, Garnett & Co, chartered accountants, of Manchester but later followed his father and older brother into the law, being articled to Messrs. Bootle, Edgar, Grace and Rylands, solicitors of Manchester.

Before joining the army he took an active interest in the Swinton Boy Scouts and in the Swinton Home Defence Corps.

He was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 16th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers on the 19th of December 1914.

He embarked for France at Folkestone with his battalion on the 22nd of November 1915 landing in Boulogne from where they made their way towards the Somme.

At 11pm the 10th of March 1916 the Germans raided the trenches of the 16th Battalion causing a number of casualties, mostly from shellfire. The shelling lasted until 12.30am and an estimated 2,000 shells fell on or around their positions causing 72 casualties among the officers and men.

Harold Rylands was among the wounded and Lieutenant Colonel Abercrombie felt compelled to write to his parents:-

"I am sorry that your son was amongst the wounded on March 10th, but hasten to tell you that his hurt is not serious. Your son was hit early in the action but refused to go to the dressing station, and stayed at his post until the shelling ceased before he would consent to have his wound attended to. We cannot afford to lose such a cool and devoted officer as your son has shown himself to be."

He survived the carnage of the opening day of the Battle of the Somme when his battalion attacked at Thiepval and by November the battalion was involved in the closing stages of the battle, the Battle of the Ancre.

On the 18th of November 1916 an attack was launched by the 11th Battalion Border Regiment and the 16th Battalion Highland Light Infantry to the north of Beaumont Hamel on the German positions there. During the fighting about 120 men from both battalions became cut off in "Frankfurt" Trench and were quickly surrounded but refused to surrender. For the next three days they fought on and four men came back through the lines to bring the news that they had a large number of wounded, that ammunition was running low and that there was need for a rescue mission.

On the 23rd of November the Salford Pals were called on to launch an attack in an attempt to reach and relieve the beleaguered garrison of desperate men.

In concert with a company of men from the 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, and supported by a barrage, they dashed across the shattered landscape and swept into "Munich" trench. Fighting quickly became hand to hand and officer casualties were heavy.

As a result, Harold Rylands was sent forward to take charge of the rescue attempt but was shot and killed almost immediately. Private Dai Davies saw him fall in the German lines but in a position where he could not be reached.

After a fight lasting only 45 minutes the few survivors of the rescue party were forced to withdraw with casualties estimated at 60. On the 25th the men who had been cut off were forced to surrender, having had their number reduced to 15 effective soldiers and having been almost completely out of ammunition.

In a letter dated the 24th of November, 2nd Lieutenant M.J. Carew wrote:-

"It is with very great regret indeed that I have to advise you of the death of your son H.B. Rylands, who, along with Captain Merryweather, was killed in action in an attack on the German lines on Thursday the 23rd inst. In the great loss which your good selves have suffered, it may be a little consolation for you to know that your dear son was loved and respected by all the officers and men of the Battalion. Personally I keenly regret his loss, having been associated with him in the Company for some six months, and during that time I found him to be a very true friend indeed. Without further intrusion, I should like to express on behalf of all officers our deepest sympathy."

On the 28th of November Lieutenant Colonel Abercrombie wrote:-

"It is in deepest grief that I write to you about the loss of your son. Although I have made the most careful inquiries, it is still impossible to say whether we may still hope that he was wounded only and is now a prisoner. If this is so you will hear in due course from the War Office ad your son will be restored to you at the end of the war. I sincerely trust this may be so. We were ordered to make an attack to rescue some men who had been cut off in an attack made five days previously, and who had held out in the German lines all that time. We captured the front line but the party that was to go forward did not affect the rescue. Your son was seen to fall beyond the German line, and so it was impossible to bring him in, and I can find no one amongst those who returned who were near him when he fell. I am deeply grieved at losing your son, one of the original officers who had become a great friend of everyone in the Battalion."

Private Lancaster of Ryland's Company wrote the following to his parents:-

"We were in trenches near Beaumont, when the Germans attacked us. Your son did us good and fought hard. I saw him near our trench and he looked like a confused person. I shouted his name and he turned to look at where I was when he was done by a German. The soldier was soon dead as well."

His father applied for his medals in March 1920, they are now in a private collection.

His brother Captain Reginald Victor Rylands of the 1/7th Battalion Manchester Regiment was killed at Gallipoli on the 29th of May 1915.

He is commemorated on the memorial at All Saints School, Bloxham and, along with his brother, on a plaque and a double stained glass window in Holyrood Church, Swinton, Salford, Manchester.

2nd Lieutenant Harold Bertram RYLANDS

16th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers (2nd Salford Pals)

Date of birth: 18th of April 1895

Date of death: 23rd of November 1916

post-63666-0-22645900-1328139102.jpg

Captain Reginald Victor RYLANDS

Captain 1/7 The Manchester Regiment

Killed in action 29th May 1915

Buried in Redoubt Cemetery, Gallipoli

Pupil 1906-1910

Reginald Victor Rylands was the eldest son of Richard Rylands and his wife Mary, and was born in Stockport, Manchester on the 9th December 1892. He had a younger brother Harold Bertram who was also a pupil at Bloxham and was killed on the Somme in 1916.

He was a pupil at the school between 1902 and 1906. On leaving Bloxham his education was completed at Shrewsbury school. He left Shrewsbury before spending some time in Germany, and then at Manchester University where he studied law, joining his father's law firm Mssr's Boote, Edgar, Grace and Rylands. His father was a senior lawyer and was a Solicitor of the Supreme Court in Manchester.

The military was a large part of Rylands life, and he served as an officer in the Territorial Force of the Manchester Regiment, becoming a 2nd Lt in May 1910, a Lieutenant in 1912 and being appointed Captain and Company Commander of the 1/7th Batt Manchester Regiment (TF) in September 1914. He served some time at the start of the War in Egypt where he was commanding the massively important railway junction at Atbara. The Battalion also served in Sudan, before taking part in the fighting at Gallipoli in May 1915.

The Battalion landed at V Beach (site of the famous beaching of the River Clyde) and progressed in land. This area was dominated by high cliffs to the north and the fort at Kilitbatir to the south. The battalion was not involved in any major actions during this time, rather it was involved in the peice meal skirmishes that characterised this theatre of war. He was killed on the night of the 29th May 1915, leading an attack against the Turkish lines.

The adjutant of the Regiment wrote:

"On the night of the 28-29 May B and D Companies were ordered to advance and dig ourselves in about 200 yards in front of the enemy. We crept to within about 200 yards of the enemy when suddenly the moon came out, which was not to our advantage.. Your son was on the extreme left of our advance, commanding half the company when news came through that he had been hit in the shoulder. A sergeant went to him and gave him water, but the bullet must have hit something vital and he passed away within 5 minutes."

Attempts were made to retrieve his body, but his body remained lying in No Mans Land for three days until the enemy had been controlled enough to allow safe retrieval. Several men were killed whilst trying to recover him.

He was eventually buried just behind the lines with a cross made from a sniper shattered trench perescope.

He is buried in Redoubt Cemetery, Gallipoli, and was 23 when he died.

Captain Reginald Victor RYLANDS

Captain 1/7 The Manchester Regiment

Killed in action 29th May 1915

Buried in Redoubt Cemetery, Gallipoli

post-63666-0-21740900-1328141591.jpg

Lancashire Fusilier,

Many thanks for expanding on my entry regarding the Rylands brothers, these make very interesting reading.

If you could PM me your email address then I can sendl you some pictures of the windows and plaque.

Best wishes,

Robert

St. Luke's Church, Bath. WW1 Memorial Window, note the Battleship and Bi-plane at the bottom of the window.

post-63666-0-25533800-1328241343.jpg

This memorial is situated on the north wall inside St Mary and All Saints Church, Checkley, Staffordshire

Prayer for the Men of this parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918

BOSTOCK, Charles, Private 3019, 47th Australian Infantry killed in action 4th December 1916. Enlisted at Lismore New South Wales, Australia aged 35. Occupation farmer, son of Charles and Sarah Ann of Lower Tean, Staffordshire and brother of John who also fell in 1917. Buried at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, Somme France

BOSTOCK, John, Lance Sergeant 33275, 8th Border Regiment died 30th May 1917 aged 34 Son of Charles and Sarah Ann Bostock, of Tean Bank, Lower Tean, Staffordshire and brother of Charles who also fell 1916. Native of Checkley. Buried at Kandahar Farm Cemetery, Heuvelland, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

BURTON, Harry Wooldridge, Private 202214, 2/5th Liverpool Regiment died 15th July 1917 aged 25. Son of Thomas Herbert and Eliza, formerly Woolridge, nee Frost. of Mill Lane, Lower Tean in the parish of Checkley. Buried at Cite Bonjean Military cemetery, Armentieres, Nord France

DUROSE, Arthur Thomas (Memorial has Thomas) Private 29973, 1st North Staffordshire Regiment killed in action, 31st July 1917 aged 22. Son of Arthur and Mary Ann Durose, of Checkley Fields, Tean, Staffordshire. (Burnt Record information. Enlisted 19th February 1916, occupation, Waggoner, home address, Fir Bob, Hollington, Staffordshire. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

HEATH, Reginald Arthur, Private 40174, 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment died 16th November 1916 aged 30. Son of Arthur Ernest and Lizzie Heath, of Checkley and brother of Ernest William who also fell. Husband of Mary Ellen Heath, of 42, Conduit Road, Stamford, Linconshire. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.

HEATH, Ernest William, Private 27487, 1/4th The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, died 16th August 1918. Son of Arthur Ernest and Lizzie of Checkley and husband of Mercy nee Swinson whom he married 7th February 1916 at Leigh, Staffordshire. He enlisted at Lichfield 15th February 1916, occupation given as farmer. A letter dated 8th May 1918 to his wife at Nobut Leigh, Staffordshire which named private articles of her husband which was sent at the same time. 1 Wristlet watch, damaged, with strap, 1 tobacco pouch, 1 wallet, 1 letter, photograph, cap badge and a lock of hair. He is buried at Houchin British Cemetery, France

HODSON, Samuel, Private 202559, 1/7th Worcestershire Regiment, died 31st August 1917. Native of Fole near Checkley. Buried at Dozinghem Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

KING, Harry, Fell (date not known) whilst serving with the American Army. He was the brother of Reginald

KING, Reginald, Private M2/114698, Mechanical Transport, Royal Army Service Corps, attached to the 25th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. He died 17th October 1917 aged 23. Son of John and Susan King, of 65, Belgrave Rd., Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Native of Wichnor Park, Staffs. His brother Harry Arthur, American Army, also fell.Buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Poperinge, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

PHILIPS, Mark Hibbert, 2nd Lieutenant, 4th attached to 1st South Staffordshire Regiment, died 4th October 1917 aged 31. Son of William Morton Philips, of Heybridge, Tean, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs; husband of Eileen Mary Philips, of Downs, Haywards Heath, Sussex. Buried at Buttes New British Cemetery, Polygon Wood, Zonnebeke, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

ROGERS, Ralph, (A/Sgt) Corporal 111843, 226th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, killed in action 3rd December 1917 aged 37. Son of John and Mary Rogers; husband of Janet Fraser Rogers, of 213, Oxford Gardens, Stafford. Born at Albrighton, Shrewsbury. Additional information from his Burnt Record. Enlisted 9th December 1915 aged 27yrs and 11 months. Occupation given as Butler and his home address Lower Tean (Nr Checkley) He married Janet Lindsey on the 17th April 1911 at St Pauls, Knightbridge, S.W. London. They had one son Ralph, DOB 2/12/1912. On the 6th May 1917 he was promoted in the field to Corporal (A/Sgt) His widowed mother, Mary was living with his wife at 213 Oxford Gardens, Stafford. On his Military History Sheet he was killed in action in France 3/12/1917 but the CWGC have him buried Menin Road South Military Cemetery, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

TURNER, William, Private G/59301, 2nd Royal Fusiliers, died 3rd December 1917 aged 22. Son of John William and Henrietta Turner, of Holly Grove, Hollington, Staffordshire. Commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval, Nord France

WILLS, Foscuet Colman (Memorial have Foscuet) Gunner 13725, B Battery, 74th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, died 17th October 1916 aged 22. Son of Samuel and Harriet Wills, of Brigstock, Northants.; husband of Amy E. Wills, of 70, North Street, Bridgtown, Staffs. Buried at Guards cemetery, Lesboeufs, Somme, France (CWGC have Toscuet)

post-63666-0-55247800-1328273472.jpg

St Mary and All Saints Church, Checkley, Staffordshire.

Charles Bostock

Service number: 3019

Unit: 47th Battalion (Infantry)

Service: Australian Army

Date of death: 4 December 1916

Cause of death: Killed in action

Cemetery or memorial details: Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, France

War Grave Register notes: BOSTOCK, Pte. Charles, 3019. 47th Bn. Australian Inf. Killed inaction 4th Dec., 1916. VI. H. 12.

post-63666-0-14317200-1328273694.jpg

Hi L.F.,

Another window which I came across many years ago whilst researching, is in the church of St.Thomas, Melbury Abbas, Dorset. This is to an Irish Guards officer, Second Lieutenant Lionel Henry Liptrap Carver, 1st Bn Irish Guards, killed in action in France on 26th May, 1918.

The window actually has two lights, one commemorates his father and mother and the other commemorates L.H.L.C., the inscriptions are as follows:

Left hand light depicts St.Thomas: "In Loving Memory of Henry J.Carver, Rector of this Parish 1880-1915, Died May 9th,1915, and of his wife Blanche Emma, Died March 27th,1920. Erected by their children."

Right hand light depicts St.Michael: "In Proud and Loving Memory of Lionel Henry Carver, Irish Guards, Killed in Action, May 26th,1918. Erected by his Mother in Glad Thanksgiving for his Beautiful Life."

Close to the window and fastened to the wall is the top section of his original wooden grave marker from France, this is inscribed as follows:

"RIP, In Memory of 2nd Lieut.L.H.Carver, 1st Bn.Irish Guards, Killed in Action 26/5/18."

L.F. If you send me a PM with your email address, I could send you copies which you may be able to post here.

Robert

Hi L.F.,

Another window which I came across many years ago whilst researching, is in the church of St.Thomas, Melbury Abbas, Dorset. This is to an Irish Guards officer, Second Lieutenant Lionel Henry Liptrap Carver, 1st Bn Irish Guards, killed in action in France on 26th May, 1918.

The window actually has two lights, one commemorates his father and mother and the other commemorates L.H.L.C., the inscriptions are as follows:

Left hand light depicts St.Thomas: "In Loving Memory of Henry J.Carver, Rector of this Parish 1880-1915, Died May 9th,1915, and of his wife Blanche Emma, Died March 27th,1920. Erected by their children."

Right hand light depicts St.Michael: "In Proud and Loving Memory of Lionel Henry Carver, Irish Guards, Killed in Action, May 26th,1918. Erected by his Mother in Glad Thanksgiving for his Beautiful Life."

Close to the window and fastened to the wall is the top section of his original wooden grave marker from France, this is inscribed as follows:

"RIP, In Memory of 2nd Lieut.L.H.Carver, 1st Bn.Irish Guards, Killed in Action 26/5/18."

L.F. If you send me a PM with your email address, I could send you copies which you may be able to post here.

Robert

Robert,

I have been trying to PM you for several days, regarding the Ryland brothers window, and keep getting the message you are " unable to receive a message at this time ". Is your message box full ?

Regards,

LF

This window is in St Michael & All Angels Church, Windmill Hill, Bristol and depicts the patron saints of the allies in WW1. This is a replacement paid for by the local citizens when the original was destroyed by a fire in the 1920`s. This church also has a WW1 Roll of Honour recording those of the parish who gave their lives in the conflict

5743077817_e3df71f5f5.jpg

Roll of Honour:

Flickr Photoset

Norman

Seadog,

That is an interesting window, do you know which are the Patron Saints ?, and to which of the Allies each belongs ?

Regards,

LF

Chesterfield St Mary's and All Saints, Derbyshire

Window dedicated to Lieutenant Arthur Noel Eyre, 57th Squadron Royal Air Force, formerly 6th Sherwood Foresters [Notts & Derby Regt] killed in action 26th September 1918 aged 27. Son of John I and Eliza of Avondale Road, Chesterfield. Commemorated on the Arras Flying Service Memorial, France

post-63666-0-97682100-1328361183.jpg

2nd Lt Arthur Noel Eyre 6th Sherwoods and 57 Sqdrn, observer in DHA no D8419 piloted by Lt Percy Walter Johnson Timson, shot down by Jasta 5 26th Sept 1918 over Cambrai.

Name: EYRE, ARTHUR NOEL

Initials: A N

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 57th Sqdn.

Secondary Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Secondary Unit Text: and 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 26/09/1918

Additional information: Son of John I. and Eliza Eyre, of Avondale Rd., Chesterfield.

Name: TIMSON, PERCY WALTER JOHNSON

Initials: P W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 57th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 26/09/1918

Additional information: Son of Walter Johnson Timson and Minnie Timson, of The Towers, Charing, Kent.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL

Does anyone have a photograph of either of these Airman ?

LF

A Window dedicated to the 11th Lewisham Battalion, The Queen's Own Royal West Kent's at St Lawrence Church, Catford.

Stuart.

post-25579-0-42161700-1328362020.jpg

Robert,

I have been trying to PM you for several days, regarding the Ryland brothers window, and keep getting the message you are " unable to receive a message at this time ". Is your message box full ?

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

Apologies, I have deleted loads of old messages-- so hopefully there will now be room!!

Robert