Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

I hope I may be forgiven for breaking into WW2, but my favourite war memorial window is definitely Laurence Whistler's tribute to an RAF pilot in the Trinity Chapel of St Nicholas's Church, Moreton. Photographs don't do it full justice as it is engraved on clear glass:

The Trinity Chapel Windows. 1982 and a close-up The Trinity Chapel Windows. 1982

That is a corker, Upton, old chap; I must get down there to visit it. Thank you for sharing.

If you do visit, the ossuary is a must. My father and I stayed in Hythe to visit the area for 5 days last year, and we visited St Leonard's purely on the grounds of finding a leaflet on it on the place we were staying. As we waited for the ossuary to open I photographed just about everything military related in the church. Another Great War memorial window in the church, and the plaque below:

http://postimage.org/image/lnoodg2rl/full/

RIMG1158.jpg

http://postimage.org/image/f8zcf648x/full/

RIMG1157.jpg

I hope I may be forgiven for breaking into WW2, but my favourite war memorial window is definitely Laurence Whistler's tribute to an RAF pilot in the Trinity Chapel of St Nicholas's Church, Moreton. Photographs don't do it full justice as it is engraved on clear glass:

The Trinity Chapel Windows. 1982 and a close-up The Trinity Chapel Windows. 1982

seaJane

I am sure we would all love to see that beautiful window commemorating an R.A.F. pilot.

Thank you for posting it.

LF.

post-63666-0-17736600-1327973647.jpg

seaJane

I am sure we would all love to see that beautiful window commemorating an R.A.F. pilot.

Thank you for posting it.

LF.

No trouble. I do strongly recommend the church - Lawrence Whistler engraved all the windows - and there is also a GW connection, as T.E. Lawrence is buried in the churchyard.

No trouble. I do strongly recommend the church - Lawrence Whistler engraved all the windows - and there is also a GW connection, as T.E. Lawrence is buried in the churchyard.

That's very interesting, I shall look up his grave, and hopefully find a photograph.

Thank you,

LF

That's very interesting, I shall look up his grave, and hopefully find a photograph.

Thank you,

LF

T.E. Lawrence's grave.

LF

post-63666-0-83678300-1328016292.jpg

Mm, interesting. The open book and motto are taken from the arms of the University of Oxford - Dominus Illuminatio Mea, "The Lord is my Light".

Silkman,

With reference to your post on the Memorial Window in Cheshire to Lieutenant Colonel Wilfrith Elstob VC DSO MC / 16th Manchester Regiment 1st City Battalion, and his battle quotation when defending Manchester Hill - " Manchesters! Here we fight and here we die ", I liked it so much, and as I did not have a current " signature ", and for various reasons, I have adopted it as my signature.

Thank you again for bringing it to my attention.

LF.

Mm, interesting. The open book and motto are taken from the arms of the University of Oxford - Dominus Illuminatio Mea, "The Lord is my Light".

Spot on!

I found this little Bio, which states that he attended Jesus College, Oxford.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Edward "Lawrence of Arabia" Lawrence

Birth: Aug. 16, 1888

Death: May 19, 1935

British Adventurer, soldier and writer, born in Tremadog in North Wales, his father was Sir Thomas Chapman, seventh Baronet of Westmeath in Ireland, who had abandoned his wife to live with his daughter's governess, Sarah Junner, with whom he had five sons. The family lived under the name Lawrence, and young Thomas attended the City of Oxford High School for Boys. In 1905, at age 17, young Lawrence ran away from home to join the Army, serving with the Royal Garrison Artillery at St. Mawes Castle, Cornwall . When his father eventually found him, his father had him discharged and he returned home. Lawrence then attended the Jesus College in Oxford, graduating with First Class Honors in 1910. Fascinated by archaeology since early childhood, in December 1910, he sailed to Beirut, where intent upon becoming a field archeologist, he studied the Arabic language and worked at the British Museum 's excavations in northern Syria and Iraq. Promoted to Major, Lawrence then organized the Arab attack on Damascus, and in 1918, was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel. A close friend of Prince Faisal, Lawrence gained great respect from the Arab population for his willingness to adapt to their customs. For his war efforts, Lawrence was made a Commander in the Order of the Bath, and awarded the Distinguished Service Order and French Legion of Honor, although he did refuse the Order of Knight Commander. After the war, Lawrence worked at the Paris Peace Conference, where he promoted the cause of Arab independence, but despite his efforts, Palestine and Iraq were mandated to Britain. In 1921, the press discovered his exploits, and he was soon the subject of media frenzy. When British attempts to govern Iraq resulted in an Arab revolt, Winston Churchill and Lawrence went there and by 1922, the two men had achieved a settlement. Lawrence returned home to great acclaim in the press. Seeking quiet, he joined the RAF under an assumed name, Ross, to avoid the hounding media. When the press discovered his name change, he was forced out of the RAF. He enlisted into the Royal Tank Corps under the name of Thomas Shaw, but unhappy with tanks, he was able to transfer back to the RAF in 1925. When his book, "Revolt in the Desert" was published the next year, the resulting public interest was so intense that he was transferred to a remote base in British India, where he remained until 1928. He remained on military service until 1935. Retiring in March 1935, he moved to Dorset, England, where two months later, he was thrown from his motorcycle, suffering severe head injuries and died six days later without regaining consciousness. Having never married, he was buried in Moreton Cemetery, Dorset, in the Frampton family crypt; the Framptons were cousins and close friends to Lawrence.

Cause of death: Injuries from a motorcycle accident

Burial:

St Nicholas Churchyard

Moreton

Dorset, England

LF

LF-

Yes, but there's probably many more across North Wales that I haven't been able to see & photograph as yet.

hywyn -

I didn't realise that Albert Victor Jones had a memorial window in Caernarfon. I used to own his medals many years ago. A sad case of someone who enlisted in the HAC (Infantry) on 25 August 1914 and was killed by a sniper at Wulverghem three months to the day later. Not a long military career.

Clive

Another Memorial Window in St Mary Magdalene, Windmill Hill, Enfield, which is very similar to that of Andrew's post # 67.

post-63666-0-03420100-1328073478.jpg

An amazing set of stained glass Memorial Windows, each commemorating a battle of WW1.

Amiens - Cambrai - Jutland - Lens - Mons - Passchendaele - Sanctuary Wood - Scapa Flow -Somme - St. Eloi - Vimy Ridge - Ypres.

These windows are in the Memorial Hall, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.

post-63666-0-93152600-1328074637.jpg

post-63666-0-55096800-1328074677.jpg

post-63666-0-30150200-1328074745.jpg

Hi LF

In regard to the Hellyer window in St Mary's Church, Brixham this is the only example I have ever come across and I am very surprised that it was allowed.

Peter4447

I am a little confused over this, what have I missed ?

Why would it not be allowed.??

Keith

Hi All,

During the course of researching the Clegg brothers, both killed at Gallipoli, I came across a stained glass window in the church at Beetham, which is just south of Milnthorpe, Cumbria.

The left hand light depicts Saint George and commemorates Alford Victor Clegg; the central light commemorates Calder Hurst Clegg, died 1913 and Mary Anne Clegg, died 1917 and the right hand light depicts St Martin and commemorates Frank Cecil Clegg. The inscriptions at the base of each light are as follows:

"In Loving Memory of Alford Victor Clegg, Captain 6th Batt. Lancashire Fusiliers, Killed in Action in Gallipoli, August 8th, 1915. Erected by his brothers and sisters."

"To the Glory of God and in Loving Memory of Calder Hurst Clegg, died April 18th, 1913, also of Mary Anne his wife, died July 8th, 1917. Erected by their children."

"In Loving Memory of Frank Cecil Clegg, Captain 6th Battn. Border Regiment. Killed in Action in Gallipoli, August 22nd, 1915. Erected by his brothers and sisters."

The family owned a large Textile Mill at Littleborough near Rochdale. They lived at Haverbrack near Beetham and also had a house on the outskirts of Kendal. Many of the family are also commemorated on a stone in the burial ground at Beetham.

Hope that this is of interest, sorry that I cannot post a photo but I will seek advice as to how to do this. I have come across quite a few similar windows related to men I have researched

over the last 30 or so years, so I will post details as I come across them.

Robert

Robert,

Many thanks for that interesting information on the 3 Clegg brothers, who are of much interest.

I shall research them, and see if I can find a photograph of their Memorial Window, and if so, will gladly post it.

Regards,

LF

Just found another at St John's Church, Snod's Edge, Shotley, Co.Durham:

This is a single light depicting The Resurrection. At the base of the light is the inscription:

"To the Glory of God and in Dear Memory of 2nd Lieutenant George Forster Pattinson, killed in action in France, May 27th, 1918. Erected by his Father, Mother and Sister."

George Forster Pattinson served in France with 'B' Sqd. 1/1st Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry from 20/9/15, he was commissioned into the 1/5th Durham Light Infantry on 29/1/18.

He was reported 'Missing' on 27/5/18 and was later confirmed as killed in action on that date. He was aged 24.

Robert

When I next make it to Yorkshire I'll try to capture the window at St John's Greengates to 2/Lt Arthur Victor Skevington, KOYLI, KIA 25/09/1916.

Keith

I am a little confused over this, what have I missed ?

Why would it not be allowed.??

Keith

Hi Keith

My understanding is that it is not allowed to show in a stained glass window in a Church any figure that can be identified as an individual person.

When comparing the photo in Post 26 (which shows 2/Lt Hellyer and his mother) with the actual window in the church itself, then it is very obvious that the glazier was working from a photograph to produce the facial features so that the figure is clearly recognisible as being 2/Lt Hellyer. Obviously this must have been provided by Hellyer's family and I assume by the Mother. He was clearly a much loved Son and his grave, which is in white marble is one of the largest in the Churchyard itself.

Best regards

Peter4447

Some really good memorial windows, especially the set of twelve from Kingstown, Ont. Canada.

Very realistic depictations.