Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Stained Glass Memorials to fallen.

Lancashire Fusilier

2 memorials inside   INGRAM (ST. MICHAEL) CHURCH, Northumberland.

First one 

Captain Robert Collingham Roddam. Northumberland Fusiliers.

Picture2.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Edited by deacs

Lieutenant Christopher Leather, Northumberland Fusiliers. 

Picture3.jpg

Edited by deacs

• 2 months later...

Apologies if this has already been posted. Thought some may be interested in the following articles:

Lest We Forget: Stained Glass Memorial Windows of the Great War / Jonathan Taylor

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/lestweforget/lestweforget.htm

Canadian perspective:

Sacrifice in Stained Glass: Memorial Windows of the Great War / JF Vance (Canadian Military History, 2012)

http://scholars.wlu.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1048&context=cmh

• 3 months later...

Early last year I posted about the east window in St Barnabas, Penny Lane, Liverpool which is a memorial to the local fallen but found it impossible to post a photo.  I have only just found that the Forum now caters for photos of any size and so I will attach one of the window and another of the key which the church conveniently supplied.

Daggers

EDit - window pic to follow.

St B window key.jpg

Edited by daggers

Here, I hope is the window

D

St B window.jpg

The building was consecrated in February 1914; the window was designed and executed by H.G.Hillier of Seel Street, Liverpool.

Edited by daggers
added info.

Interesting date. Is that a typo? I thought I had cornered the marking on them.

Keith

Correct date - the building replaced a 'tin church' nearby, which in turn had replaced one of the same dedication but nearer the city centre.

Mark/ing/et???

D

• 9 months later...
On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2012 at 02:42, Lancashire Fusilier said:

David,

Do you have a copy of Rupert Edward's photograph ?

This is going back a bit, but the digitised versions of The Ringing World are now online as PDFs, this should go straight to the page with Rupert Edward Gascoyne-Cecil's photo (centre of three) and brief obit below https://cccbr.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/rw1915_b.pdf#page=31

• 4 months later...

Missed this the last time I was in Carlisle Cathedral and I don't think it as been posted before.

Lieutenant CAMPBELL, MALCOLM DRURY

Died 02/05/1915

Aged 24

Howe Bn. R.N. Div. 
Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Son of Herbert Ernest Campbell (Chancellor of Carlisle), and Emily Marian Campbell, of The Abbey, Carlisle.

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

Edited by deacs

Stained glass memorial window in St. Mary’s Church Gowran, Co. Kilkenny dedicated to Lieut. Aubrey Cecil White, 8th Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment who was killed in action 1st July 1916 aged 20 while leading his men in the Battle of The Somme. 

Son of Richard and Anna M. White (nee Croly), of Gowran, Co. Kilkenny. Educated Castle Park, Dalkey, Co. Dublin, and Trent College, Derbyshire.
Buried in Lonsdale Cemetery Authuille. 

Stained glass window by Michael Healy of An Tur Gloine. 1918.

75386284-1B00-4D4F-8C65-D19CBF8E0328.jpeg

7F0F8D8A-B971-4BE2-BCBE-E1543EE40E4D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This window commemorates 2nd Lt Harley Knollys Briggs, who was KIA on 26 July 1916 while serving with B Battery, 166th (Camberwell) Brigade RFA. It is in St Mary's, Capel-le-Ferne, near Folkestone in Kent. It appears that his face is used in the left light. I think it may also be used in the right light, but can't be sure. I have no photo of Briggs, so can't be certain that it is him.

Mike

20160619132559_IMG_1007-01.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/02/2012 at 19:08, basiloxford said:

Hello Leo,

Tom Smith refers to a man named Thomas Smith, who was born at Wood Street St. Ebbes on the 29th Jan 1898, the son of Walter and Elizabeth Smith. Tom was educated at the local school in St. Ebbes, before gaining employment at the local Co-op. He enlisted in November 1916 at the age of eighteen, joining the ranks of the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry. Later transferred to the 5th Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment, Tom was killed in action near to Arras on the 27th July 1917, and he's buried at the Monchy British Cemetery, Monchy-le-Preux, France, Grave Ref I.B.22. The youngest of four brothers serving with the BEF, an elder brother Harold, who served with the 1/4th Oxford and Bucks Lt Infantry was killed in action just over two weeks later on 16th August 1917.

The name of Dr Alfred Stansfeld is a complete mystery to me at the moment. Strangely its the name of a man named Noel Stansfeld who appears on the St. Ebbes War Memorial, and he was the nephew of the incumbant, John Stansfeld.

Barry.

Hi - not sure if you are still looking into this but I can share some light on the Stansfeld connection. Canon John Stedwell Stansfeld was my great great uncle. Dr Alfred Stansfeld (his nephew) was my great uncle. However, I do not understand why he is mentioned on the window as he died Nov 25th 1919 in London the flu epidemic. He was a pathologist at Barts. Another great uncle, however, I have just discovered did die in action in 1917 and he is the one mentioned on the nearby war memorial - Noel Fred Stansfeld - half brother to Alfred and again a nephew of Canon John. I don't know why there seems to be a mix up but it's all a bit of a mystery to me. I didn't even know my grandmother had lost a younger brother in the war or why he had a connection with St Ebbe's as he was from London. Barbara

During the funeral of my uncle alst week I notcied a stained glass window in St James' Church, Bolton, Bradford that was a war memorial, naming the dead of the parish in the bottom light with saints including George above.  Due to the circumstances I wasn't able to take a photo, church website is http://www.boltonstjames.org.uk/index.php ut they don't seem to have pictures of any of the glass, though the window is I think the second from left on the nave visible in the main photo of the church.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just posted details of the Bellringers' Memorial Window and RoH plaques in the cloisters of Worcester Cathedral over in Pal Kitchener's Bugle's Worcester Cathedral topic ...

Mark

• 4 months later...

I took this photograph for Jim Strawbridge, it is from Ashton-Upon-Mersey Church, the left and right panels list the men of the parish who gave their lives in the Great War and the centre panel commemorates Margaret 'Olive' Rylance one of Jim's VAD nurses.

884525358_GWMemorialWindowAshton-Upon-MerseyChurch.JPG.ffe7f7ea3bdd196626cd426b34f0099a.JPG

• 2 months later...

2 windows inside St. James's Church, Whitehaven.Cumbria.

Private. HENRY WALLACE MULCASTER-BECK 9284. Thursday, April 12, 1917 Age 20 BROWN'S COPSE CEMETERY, ROEUXI. B. 1. South African Infantry South African

20190330_142047.jpg

20190330_141759.jpg

Private THOMAS STANLEY METCALF 8/1575. Sunday, September 17, 1916 Age 26 DERNANCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSIONII. B. 25. Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.New Zealand

20190330_142319.jpg

20190330_142337.jpg

Beautiful windows (and photos), deacs. Thanks. Interesting that both are for Imperial troops and both ORs, reflecting migration pre-war from the area? 

Mike

Possibly both Whitehaven miners?

Metcalf's NZ service record is available on-line, Mark. He attested on 12 December 1914 as a self-employed farmer in Stratford, Taranaki. Born Whitehaven 30 August 1889, his father, in 1891, was a grocer's assistant, although well off enough to employ a servant. Metcalf landed at Gallipoli on 9 May 1915, invalided to Malta via 16 CCS from 16 August 1915. Wounded 16 September 1916, DOW on the 17th in 45 CCS.

Mike

St Mary's, Chiddingstone, Kent. 2nd Lt Richard Gerald Milburn, 4th attached to 2nd East Surrey Regiment. DOW, 10 February 1915. Concentrated burial in Perth China Wall Cemetery, Zillebeke. Educated Malvern College and Trinity College, Cambridge.

The window is by Walter Ernest Tower (see wheatsheaf and tower bottom left).

Mike

Milburn.RG.jpg

Edited by Perth Digger

11 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

Metcalf's NZ service record is available on-line, Mark. He attested on 12 December 1914 as a self-employed farmer in Stratford, Taranaki. Born Whitehaven 30 August 1889, his father, in 1891, was a grocer's assistant, although well off enough to employ a servant. Metcalf landed at Gallipoli on 9 May 1915, invalided to Malta via 16 CCS from 16 August 1915. Wounded 16 September 1916, DOW on the 17th in 45 CCS.

Mike

Thanks Mike - agriculture/farming was the other obvious possibility.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Captain Samuel Murray Carson, ASC, died 20 April 1917 in Canterbury, aged 52. Did not serve overseas, but began his military career with the Tower Hamlets Volunteers in the 1890s. He was a well-known actor, playwright, theatrical manager and Freemason, married to an actress. The window is, appropriately, in the Church of St Thomas, Canterbury. He is on CWGC, buried in Canterbury Cemetery. His service record is PRO WO 339/11024, but I don't have access to it.

Mike

Carson, S M.jpeg

• 7 months later...

I came to this thread after Googling St Elizabeth's RC Church, Scarisbrick and being taken to page 12 of this thread. I visited this church this morning to take a photograph of the single entry (WMR 18682) on the IWM's War Memorials Register. I spotted a window which was not recorded (it is now - WMR 87367), but failed to spot the one mentioned above - so I'll be back!

However, I have recorded many in the area not featured in this thread. Their IWM Register nos. are: 62530, St David Haigh; 56089, St Philip's School, Hindley; 15715, St Andrew Maghull; 85560, Blundell, Boer War, St Cuthbert Halsall; 3296, Christ Church, Charnock Richard; 56119, Our Lady Immaculate, Downall Green; 45356, St Mark Newtown; 86214, Park Lane Unitarian, Bryn; 27897, St Matthew Highfield; 86882, St James & St Elizabeth, Bickershaw; 45432, St George Wigan