Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Centenary of the Charge of the 12th Lancers, Moÿ de l'Aisne, 28 Au

Hedley Malloch

On the 28th of August 1914 the 12th Lancers made a charge with lances against the Prussian Dragoon Guards near the village of Moÿ (pronounced 'mwee') de l'Aisne, near St. Quentin. This was the last, or one of the last, such events in modern warfare. The village is planning a big centenary event sometime in the last week of August 2014, hopefully on 28 August itself. A new memorial is planned at or near the site of Moÿ Chateau from whence the 12th Lancers set forth on their charge. It will be inaugurated during the centenary celebrations.

The regiment which exits today as the 9/12th Lancers has agreed in priciple to participate subject to operational demands.

This should be quite a day and something to pencil in if your are planning to retrace the route from Mons to the Marne during the last week of August 2014. The precise date has not yet been fixed.

Thanks for the advance warning Hedley. This is a "must do" event as we were there in September following the trail of one of the men from our village who fought there.

Lionboxer

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the advance warning Hedley. This is a "must do" event as we were there in September following the trail of one of the men from our village who fought there.

Lionboxer

Moÿ de-l'Aisne have now confirmed that the commemoration of the centennial will take place on Thursday 28 August 2014.

Hi,

An interesting little action and one I had not come across previously. Here is a description from Conan Doyle:

"On August 28th the corps was continuing its march towards La Fere and the cavalry found itself near Cerizy. At this point the pursuing German horsemen came into touch with it. At about five in the afternoon three squadrons of the enemy advanced upon one squadron of the Scots Greys, which had the support of 'J' Battery. Being fired at, the Germans dismounted and attempted to advance upon foot, but the fire was so heavy that they could make no progress and their led horses stampeded. They retired, still on foot, followed up by a squadron of the 12th Lancers on their flank. The remainder of the 12th Lancers, supported by the Greys, rode into the dismounted dragoons with sword and lance, killing or wounding nearly all of them. A section of guns had fired over the heads of the British cavalry during the advance into a supporting body of German cavalry, who retired, leaving many dead behind them. The whole hostile force retreated northwards, while the British cavalry continued to conform to the movements of the First Corps. In this spirited little action the German regiment engaged was, by the irony of fate, the 1st Guard Dragoons, Queen Victoria's Own. The British lost 43 killed and wounded. Among the wounded were Major Swetenham and Captain Michell of the 12th Lancers. Colonel Wormald of the same regiment was wounded. The excited troopers rode back triumphantly between the guns of 'J' Battery, the cavalrymen exchanging cheers with the horse-gunners as they passed, and brandishing their blood stained weapons."

Hope this is of interest,

Robert

This was the last, or one of the last, such events in modern warfare.
Definitely not the last. David Kenyon identified 20 examples of British cavalry charges from July 1916 until the end of the war.

Robert

I believe Anglesey reports it as the last lance-on-lance charge undertaken by British cavalry.

I believe Anglesey reports it as the last lance-on-lance charge undertaken by British cavalry.

Is this correct? Surely the Germans were, 1) dismounted and, 2) Dragoons, or do Dragoons carry lances?

I'm willing to be corrected, but in answer to question 2, yes, I believe all German cavalry carried lances. I'll have a look at Angelsey's book on Thursday. I don't have a copy but the KRH Museum has a full set and I'm in for two days :) (beats working).

I'm willing to be corrected, but in answer to question 2, yes, I believe all German cavalry carried lances. I'll have a look at Angelsey's book on Thursday. I don't have a copy but the KRH Museum has a full set and I'm in for two days :) (beats working).

I wouldn't say that I am envious, but then again!!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Robert

This is celebrated each year in the Regiment with what is knowm as Mons/Moy day. To cellebrate the two occasions when the 9th and 12th Lancers charged with the lance.I was lucky enough to attend the cellebrations in 2010 and still have a sore head to prove it.

Frank

x 9/12th Lancer.

This is celebrated each year in the Regiment with what is knowm as Mons/Moy day. To cellebrate the two occasions when the 9th and 12th Lancers charged with the lance.I was lucky enough to attend the cellebrations in 2010 and still have a sore head to prove it.

Frank

x 9/12th Lancer.

Isn't that decimalised to .75 L now (ARRSE Guide to the British Army :lol: )

Along with the Dehli Spearman The Magpies we have the nickname of THE SUPPLE TWELTH.

Also the 3/4 Dancers.

Frank

And I'm happy to correct myself. On looking at Anglesey last week, I realise that the last lance v lance action was that of the 9th Lancers at Moncel on the 7th September.

It was against the 1st Guard Dragoons, so I was correct in saying that german cavalry other than uhlans carried lances, so I claim I was half right (and half wrong).

And I'm happy to correct myself. On looking at Anglesey last week, I realise that the last lance v lance action was that of the 9th Lancers at Moncel on the 7th September.

It was against the 1st Guard Dragoons, so I was correct in saying that german cavalry other than uhlans carried lances, so I claim I was half right (and half wrong).

You appear to have a slightly higher strike rate than myself--but then I'm always willing to learn. Thanks for checking.

Did you have any joy with a photo of Charles Humbert?

the last lance v lance action was that of the 9th Lancers at Moncel on the 7th September.

Of course it was. With Colonel D.G.M.Campbell at their head on his aptly named horse 'Crasher'!

Biography of the man here, http://www.21stdivision1914-18.org/soarercampbell.htm , if anyone is interested. Wounded twice in this action.

Regards

Arm

Did you have any joy with a photo of Charles Humbert?

I'd tried PM-ing you, but your inbox is full.

Straight answer: no, nothing at all. The museum has little on 10th officers of the period, and photos seem thin on the ground. Sorry. I will keep my eyes open, though, and if anything surfaces you'll be amongst the first to know.

I'd tried PM-ing you, but your inbox is full.

Straight answer: no, nothing at all. The museum has little on 10th officers of the period, and photos seem thin on the ground. Sorry. I will keep my eyes open, though, and if anything surfaces you'll be amongst the first to know.

Many thanks for looking Steven, looks like its back to the drawing board, again!!

My inbox is actually almost empty but there seems to be some sort of gremlin at work. Keith sent me a message yesterday but everyone else receives the same message?!!:angry2:

Going through my archive of photographs and illustrations, I found two excellent illustrations of the 12th Lancers charge against the Prussian Dragoon Guards near the village of Moy de l'Aisne, near St. Quentin, on 28th of August 1914.

post-63666-0-01535500-1330993048.jpg

Excellent images of the Lancers charge. Don't suppose you have any colour images of the 9th lancers in 1914? I have some in B&B but none in colour.

Regards

Andy

Excellent images of the Lancers charge. Don't suppose you have any colour images of the 9th lancers in 1914? I have some in B&B but none in colour.

Regards

Andy

I personally do not have any of the 9th in colour, however, I shall keep a look out for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy

There is a couple of colour prints of the 9th Lancers in action in Spearman the history of the 9/12 Royal Lancers

Lancer

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

Here at HHQ 9/12L our focus is very much towards the last two mounted lance charges of the antecedent regiments. Much work is already underway to ensure the 100th Anniversary is commemorated in style. For my part I have been putting together the story of the 12L at Moy for the last 15 years and would like to bring it all together in time for the anniversary. I am always looking for unpublished accounts or photographs to complete the story especially for 1st and 2nd Garde Dragoner (who were both present and charged that day). To that end please point all interested parties to the forum and I will be happy to share and answer and specific questions regarding this action – Regards Phil Watson

I am off to visit the Regiment next month to join in the Mons Moy celebrations at Hohne. Should have a good time.

Frank

(lancer)

A quick update:

Möy would like some German representation at the centennial, possibly uniformed, but this is proving difficult. I've written to potential sources of German interest, but no luck so far. I still have some other leads to follow.

As visitors to Möy may know there is a WW2 RAF crew buried in the same plot as the Lancers' casualties in Möy Communal. I have been asked to try and trace the relatives of the airmen to invite them and I am working on this. Their bomber crashed on or near the 1914 battlefield and there are plans to excavate it.

More information as and when to hand.

Hedley Mallch