Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Great Lives ' BBC Radio 4 16.30 24th Jan 12

MichaelBully

Radio 4 programme this afternoon 16.30 GMT on Vera Brittain /repeated 23.30 Friday 27th January 2012

• Admin

Thanks Michael, listening at the moment; fascinating to hear George talkng about Vera.

Michelle

Impressive, has information on Great War and 'Testament of Youth' but also rest of Vera Brittain's life is covered. Should be available now on Radio Four website.

EDIT link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxsb

Thanks Michael, listening at the moment; fascinating to hear George talkng about Vera.

Michelle

Does anyone know if these interviews eventually post as podcasts in addition to their status as 'available to listen'?

Ignore the above, I persevered and found it.

Great Lives Podcasts

Put this stuff on a phone and listen to it whilst walking... One never has to stop obsessing about the great war.

Thanks very much for this! I can't watch BBC videos due to geo blocking , but I don't have any problems with the radio programs. I enjoyed hearing from her daughter as well. I almost bought her daughter's autobiography just to hear more about Vera. Has anyone here read that? I just bought her son's account a few months ago and it is clear that he was a somewhat troubled individual, but I still found it interesting,

"Testament of Youth" sparked my interest in WWI and it had a profound and lasting impact upon me. I read it when I was 21 and it really felt like she was speaking directly to the reader.

Thanks again..

• Admin

ROP,

Yes I have read Climbing The Bookshelves and Family Quartet; the former has some interesting things about Vera Brittain, the latter is, as you say, a difficult read. A great deal of resentment surfaces in the book and he doesn't come over as a pleasant individual. Have you Read Vera Brittain-A Life by Mark Bostridge and Paul Berry? I also recommend Chronicle Of Youth edited by Alan Bishop.

Michelle

Personally I found that 'Family Quartet' gave quite an insight into Vera Brittain's life, even though relations between her and her son John were sometimes very tense.

It was also the source to first raise the question of Edward Brittain's very possible homosexuality, which is explored in more depth in the Berry/Bostridge biography, and how this connects with the circumstances surrounding Edward's death.

I would also recommend 'None That Go Return' by Don Farr, about the four male characters of 'Testament of Youth'.

'Chronicle of Youth' is superb,

ROP,

Yes I have read Climbing The Bookshelves and Family Quartet; the former has some interesting things about Vera Brittain, the latter is, as you say, a difficult read. A great deal of resentment surfaces in the book and he doesn't come over as a pleasant individual. Have you Read Vera Brittain-A Life by Mark Bostridge and Paul Berry? I also recommend Chronicle Of Youth edited by Alan Bishop.

Michelle