30 July, 1914

BottsGreys

Sir M. de Bunsen to Sir Edward Grey.

Vienna, July 30, 1914.

D. 7 :50 P.M.

Tel. (No. 126.)

R. 9:20 P.M.

Following for Director of Military Operations from military attaché:

"11th corps, Lemberg, received orders to mobilise yesterday. It is not yet known whether Landwehr of this corps is affected, or whether 1st and 10th corps are to mobilise. 37th regiment left Vienna day before yesterday. In all, 4th, 19th, 99th, and 37th have left corps.

"5th horse artillery brigade in Komorn has been mobilised, which may indicate that 16th cavalry brigade or whole 2nd cavalry division are mobilised for service in Galicia.

"10th cavalry division, Budapest, is mobilised, but it is not known whether it has proceeded north or south, probably former.

"According to all accounts mobilisation has proceeded with perfect smoothness and without any untoward incident of any kind. Czechs and Southern Slavs have made no protest whatever. Concentration has proceeded simultaneously with mobilisation, and at least 100,000 men are now in Neusatz-Werschetz zone.

"War is undoubtedly very popular everywhere.

"Bridge at Semlin was not seriously damaged and can be easily repaired."

Sir E. Goschen to Sir Edward Grey.

Berlin, July 30, 1914.

D. 7:55 P.M.

Tel. (No. 105.)

R. 9:30 P.M.

Austria and Servia. Military attaché has heard report that bodies of troops are being conveyed by rail to both eastern and western frontiers of Germany. Military attach‚ further informs me that unusual military activity is observable, and that, in his opinion, order for mobilisation is imminent.

Consul-General Hearn to Sir Edward Grey.

Hamburg, July 30, 1914.

D. 7:6 P.M.

Tel. (No. 13.) Secret.

R. 9:45 P.M.

Vice-Consul at Emden reports mining Ems probable and Emden reservists have joined troops proceeding Borkum. He understands that mobilisation notices were posted this morning.

(Embassy informed.)

Mr. Grant Duff to Sir Edward Grey.

Dresden, July 30, 1914.

D. 7:30 P.M.

Tel. (No. 1.)

R. 9:45 P.M.

I have just heard that (?100th and) 1st Grenadier regiment of the Saxon army has been ordered to the Silesian frontier and is leaving Dresden to-day.

MINUTE.

This is decidedly ominous. Clearly, although Germany avoids the use of the word "mobilisation," she is doing the thing. E. A. C. July 31.

Sir F. Bertie to Sir Edward Grey.

Paris, July 30, 1914.

D. 8 15 P.M.

Tel. (No. 95.)

R. 10:30 P.M.

I had audience of President of the Republic this evening in order to give him your message of congratulation on success of his visit to St. Petersburg, for which he wishes me to thank you.

He told me that in middle of last night French Government received information that German Government had informed Russian Government that unless Russia stopped her mobilisation Germany would mobilise. (1) In middle of day a further report from St. Petersburg stated that German communication had been modified and had become a request to be informed on what conditions Russia would consent to demobilisation, answer to which is that she will do so provided that Austria will give assurance that she will respect sovereignty of Servia, and will submit certain of the demands of Austrian note not accepted by Servia to an international discussion.

President of Republic thinks that Austro-Hungarian Government will not accept these Russian conditions. He is convinced that preservation of peace between Powers is in hands of England, for if His Majesty's Government announce that, in the event of conflict between Germany and France, resulting from present differences between Austria and Servia, England would come to aid of France, there would be no war, for Germany would at once modify her attitude...

(My bold)

Sir F. Bertie to Sir Edward Grey

(a.)

Private.

Paris, July 30, 1914.

My dear Grey,

The feeling here is that peace between the Powers depends on England; that if she declare herself solidaire with France and Russia there will not be war for Germany will not face the danger to her of her supplies by sea being cut off by the British Fleet at a time when she could not get them from Russia and France and little from Austria who would require all that is available from elsewhere for her own needs.

People do not realise or do not take into account the difficulty for the British Government to declare England solidaire with Russia and France in a question such as the Austro-Servian quarrel. The French instead of putting pressure on the Russian Government to moderate their zeal expect us to give the Germans to understand that we mean fighting if war break out. If we gave an assurance of armed assistance to France and Russia now, Russia would become more exacting and France would follow in her wake.

Travelling to and from "les Eaux" in the East of France is becoming difficult owing to the moving of troops from the centre of France towards the Eastern frontier and "les Eaux" generally are being deserted even those in the West of France.

The newspapers but not yet the people are becoming bellicose. The Bourse is practically closed and the Bank of France is preparing to issue notes for 20 francs 10 francs and 5 francs, meanwhile strings of people are asking for change for notes of 50 francs and 100 francs, &c., and the Bank employés make as much delay possible in fulfilling the Banks' obligation to give coin whether gold or silver in exchange for its notes.

Yours sincerely,

FRANCIS BERTIE.

Private and Confidential.

Paris, July 30, 1914.

My dear Grey,

The Spanish Ambassador (Urrutia) has been here just as the messenger is about to leave for London. He says that the President of the Republic told a friend this morning that he considers war inevitable. Urrutia says that the couverture of the troops on the Eastern frontier of France is completed.(1)

Yours sincerely,

FRANCIS BERTIE.