Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German gas attack at Spanbroekmolen, 30/4/16

Mark Hone

Does anyone know any good British (or German) unit history descriptions or first hand accounts of the above action? My great-uncle Pvt C. C. Evans, 10th RWF (76 Brigade, 3 Div) was wounded in the attack. I have the Official History version, plus the 10th RWF account, based on the War Diaries. I would be interested in any other accounts, particularly 3rd and 24th Div.

Mark,

If you want German sources, I'm sure I'd find some things...

Jan

Thanks Jan. I am planning to include that attack in my 2004 school battlefields tour (I like to plan ahead!) I get the pupils to read out extracts from first-hand accounts on the actual site and am always keen to obtain the views of both sides.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mark,

You will find some information in :

- The war Diary of the Master of Belhaven.

- History of the 1st and 2nd battalion The North staffordshire Regiment.

- History of the 8th Bn Queen's own(RWK) 1914-1919.

- also a small reference in the book " The journal of Private fraser". (canadians)

If you have a problem in finding the books I can always E-mail you some scans.

I am also interested in these attacks and could also use some help in finding more information.

Regards

Lawry farrow

Mark,

The gas attack was performed by Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment 212 and 209. I've got both regimental histories, which give quite a bit of detail about the preparations of the attack and the execution.

Regards,

Jan

Thank you both. I'd be very interested in any information you have. As I said I try to use as much primary information as possible when doing my tours. Last year we reconstructed an entire court martial for cowardice from the original transcript. This year at Arnhem we'll be using German and Allied eyewitness accounts. (Some in the original German as we have a student who is half-German and fluent in the language with us on the tour!)

To All,

Do there exist photographs (or postcards) of this gas attack (or shortly trereafter) at Spanbroekmolen ? I would be very interested in it.

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

• 1 month later...

To Lawry,

Do these books contain information about the site of the Spanbroekmolen ?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

hello Gilbert,

No I'm sorry to say.

The only information on the site and some history I have found in

"Molens van de frontstreek. In de vuurlinie van 14 - 18: molens uit de streek van Ieper, Zonnebeke, Langemark - Poelkapelle, Heuvelland en Wervik.".

This is what it says :

Deze drie eeuwen oude molen bevond zich niet ver van hel kruispunt Wijtschale-Wulver- gem en Mesen-Kemmel. langs een veldweg die tussen de molen en het molenhuis door liep (afb. 121). Hij was hoog gelegen. want ooit kon men vanaf dit punt 29 andere wind molens tellen!

Sinds I R92 was de molen het eigendom van August Deconinck, gehuwd met S. Vandenhussche. Beiden stamden af van een oud molenaarsgeslacht. Deconinck had de molen gekocht van Catharina Pillaerts, een oude molenarin. Zijn eerste zorg was, de molen te laten herstellen en recht te zetten, want hij stond scheef en was verwaarloosd. Daarna werd de molen in bedrijf gesteld.

In een reusachtig kombuis tegen de linker zijweeg van de molenbhevond zich een builderij.

Onder het luikapje zaten grote aandrijfwielen (atb. 122).

Een broer van de molenaar, Henri Deconinck, woonde in de herherg 'In Spanbroekmolen' (in de volksmond "t Meulentje'), gelegen langs de Kruisstraat.

Toen de oorlog uitbrak lag het materiaal gereed om de molen een grondige herstelling te laten ondergaan. Begin oktober begonnen de gevechten tussen de Duitse en Engelse legers. Op 7 oktober trok het 4de Duitse cavaleriekorps richting KasseI. .De Spanbroekmolen draaide rustig door, hoewel enkele molens in de omtrek reeds in brand stondcn. De pinhelmen verdachten Deconinck ervan, tekens te geven aan de vijand. De molenaar wist zich echter uit de situatie te redden. Vier dagen later liep het minder goed af, toen de Engelsen naderden. Ook die zagen in de draaiende molen een uiting van spionage en dreigden de molenaar, zijn zoon Maurits en een knecht standrechtelijk te fusilleren. (Zie ook het relaas rond de Blauwmolen van Wijtschate!)

De molen werd meteen stilgelegd en men wist ternauwernood te ontkomen naar Kemmel, achter de Engelse gevechtslinies. August en Maurits riskeerden het om enkele dagen later, tijdens een gevechtspauze, nog eens naar de molen terug te keren. Ze konden de pas aangekochte nieuwe molenstenen en nog wat materiaal onder de grond verstoppen, maar moesten toen op de vlucht slaan bij nieuwe beschietingen. Op I november 1914 brandde de Spanbroek molen als een toorts '. Na de oorlog kon enkel één stuk wiek worden teruggevonden. ..

I know it's not much but it's the only thing I have been able to find up to now.

Lawry

To Lawry,

Sorry for the trouble and nevertheless thanks for the information.

• 6 months later...

To Mark,

The book "Messines Ridge" (Battleground Europe series) written by Peter Oldham gives some information about this particular gas attack and mentions also the 3rd and the 24th Division.