Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A huzza for Pal N.S. Regt

BottsGreys

I just wanted to make a public "thanks" to Forum member N.S. Regt for going "above and beyond" and providing me with the identities and backgrounds of all the men pictured in this photo of the original cadre of 85th (Nova Scotia Highlanders) Battalion, CEF, Officers (below). Thanks to Stephen's efforts, I have now been able to have cropped scans of all of the 9 officers present in this photo who died during the War placed into their individual records on the Veterans Affairs Canada--Canadian Virtual War Memorial site for public viewing and downloading. As the Yankees would say during our Civil War--three huzzas and a hooray.

Chris

post-3-1091231854.jpg

Chris

Glad to see it going to a worthwhile cause such as the Canadian Virtual War Memorial. After I move I got to get going on the 25th guys I have about 300 or so I have to scan. I am about 2/3 of the way checking the names of the 25th against my list and have been correcting mistakes. Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I was working on my own CVM donations tonight, and came across this photo I took of a grave with an inscription honouring a man of the 85th. This grave is located in Toronto at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery. I was getting it ready for donation, and when I got to the CVM record, I noticed the photo already donated and I remembered reading about it on this forum and guessed that the original poster must have donated the image from the 85th group photo.

Therefore, I'm posting this grave photo here in case you are interested. I have more photos - just let me know and I can email them to you.

post-3-1094346048.jpg

Canadawwi

Here is a picture of J.R. MacFarlane if you want to include this also.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-3-1094379898.jpg

Hi Fellows,

This is a great example of just what makes this the best forum on the internet. A wealth of knowledge out there, and people willing to help each other. Great stuff!

Canadawwi:

Thanks for the photo of McFarlane's stone--greatly appreciated. As N.S. Regt suggested, you should submit the image of McFarlane he provided from the 85th History to the CVM, as it is a much clearer one than my cropped, enlarged scan from my group photo.

I echo Terry's sentiments, it's these cooperative efforts of which I think we can be most proud--the exchange of information on the Forum is truly amazing.

Chris